Multi-Bay External HDD Enclosures

In need of recommendations for Multi-Bay External HDD Enclosures, if possible one with atleast more than USB 2.0 Interface or have Networking interface. I have found some but they are either just USB 2.0 or just eSata Interface.

Thanks in advance.

-----------

no ones seems posting any recommendations or suggestion :(

Is having a multi-bay enclosure a bad idea?

----------

I have found some:

- Muse NAS-RAID N0001LN (Thermaltake) : http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Stor...1LN/n0001ln.asp

- Muse X-Duo-Raid N0015LU (Thermaltake) : http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Storage...5LU/n0015lu.asp (this one seems smaller max 2 HDD)

Question:

- When they say it supports up to xGB hdd size, does that mean they won't work for larger hdd size?

ex: for 'Muse NAS-RAID N0001LN (Thermaltake)' it says 'Supports up to 2.0 TB storage' which means if I use 4x 500GB hdd I will get 2TB. So it won't work if I have 4x 750GB or more?

Edited by hmaster10

Hi there,

You are talking about a product that isn’t very popular. Most people would build there own file server for 400-450US$ that can go beyond 2TB or by Western Digital My Book™ World Edition™ II .

Most controllers for hard disks won’t accept more then 2TB.

We can help you to build a fileserver based on Linux that you can access directly by your network or Firewire from PC to PC.

If you're looking for that much external storage, you do NOT want to be running it over USB2.0. USB is horrible for block data transfer because of the way the protocol is structured. Firewire, eSATA, or gigabit ethernet are the interfaces you want to consider.

I don't know much about external enclosures, but building a simple personal file server is another option. It'll draw a bit more power, but the advantage is that you can utlimately add more disk space to it later, either through onboard connections or a PCI-E SATA controller.

Most controllers don't support disks larger than 2TB because of the MBR format of disks that we're all so familiar with. You can read more about the "2TB limit" in this thread. If you want volumes that are more than 2TB, you'll need to run Windows XP x64 or Server 2003 SP1 or higher. The 2.6 Linux kernel also supports volumes larger than 2TB, but I personally don't have much experience in that department.

i'm all ears to the idea :)

If you're looking for that much external storage, you do NOT want to be running it over USB2.0. USB is horrible for block data transfer because of the way the protocol is structured. Firewire, eSATA, or gigabit ethernet are the interfaces you want to consider.

But before we go further, I'm planning to use that storage as a sharing storage to multiple user. So should I go to a normal external hdd (like My Book Pro Edition II) or a file server?

Edited by hmaster10

The MyBook from WDC is a small standalone file server as well, just with an embedded OS in it that can’t be modified (In general speaking). A self-build file server can be modified any time you want.

There is no need to buy an OS for the fileserver; Linux will do fine in combination with a SAMBA server. It’s a bit more complicated but people in the Linux section can help you out on that. Another plus is that you can use the fileserver even as a gateway for internet and share printers with.

If you were not technical, the best way would be the MyBook from WDC.

If you're looking for something for multiple users, then you'd either want a NAS solution, or a dedicated file server. I'll have to see what I can come up with for a simple file server setup for you.

I saw that puntoMX posted to the MyBook Pro II edition... just a note - you're paying a premium for the price of the 1TB drives. If you build your own file server, you can save quite a bit of money by getting yourself 500GB drives. They're currently at the best price point ($/GB) for storage.

So, we need to know for example:

- How many users are connected to it at the same time?

- What kind of data will be used?

- How much disk space you need?

- How technical you are?

- How much you like to spend on it?

- ... …Did I forget something?

--- EDIT ---

The My Book Pro Edition II is just an external hard disk, and you need to use a computer to share it to the network. The one I linked, My Book™ World Edition™ II, has a build in network controller and server so it can be access from any place by just connecting it to the network switch.

On the Western Digital page you can see we are talking about 799US$ for 2TB and 449US$ for 1TB, also more then one can be placed in a network.

- How many users are connected to it at the same time?

at least 3.

- What kind of data will be used?

documents, musics, videos

- How much disk space you need?

atleast 1TB if possible (currently I have a 320GB and it seems not enough)

- How technical you are?

this is a hard one... hmm, I think I'm about above average.

- How much you like to spend on it?

if it is base on USD and I'm converting it back to my currency here, not more than $600

- ... …Did I forget something?

Later maybe, other issues might arise.

all online store that I visit are mostly local.

PC Bodega

RSun

PC Gilmore

PC Corner

PC Express

This would be a first time for me looking at a international online store, like NewEgg.

--EDIT--

I can also settle down w/ just an ordinary external storage, and just mount it to which user is in need (this is just my other option)

--EDIT--

In terms of backup, would I be saving more if I burn them to DVDs (that is only available here, no HD or Blu-Ray yet), or Using a File Server, or having many External HDD?

Edited by hmaster10

I checked out those prices in your country, first I want to say that they don’t sell the latest part over there and prices are a bit on the high side. A simple file server with a single core processor, 1000Mbit network interface, 1TB (2x500GB) Hard drives and 1GB RAM in a normal case (Antec) cost about 650 US$.

I would check the Western Digital My Book™ World Edition™ II, I’m sure it’s cheaper, smaller and easier in use. Besides that, it looks great and works very well except for the "extra software" that comes with it (not needed to be installed to function).

I don’t know if Newegg ships to your country but HAMMER myshare HN1200-1000 1TB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Network Hard Drive would be a good buy if you read the reviews, people over there don’t like the Western Digital My Book World Edition II by the way...

I checked out those prices in your country, first I want to say that they don’t sell the latest part over there and prices are a bit on the high side. A simple file server with a single core processor, 1000Mbit network interface, 1TB (2x500GB) Hard drives and 1GB RAM in a normal case (Antec) cost about 650 US$.

That's my country for you ... :whistle:

Thanks for the info. For now I think I'll just be contented to burning to DVDs as a backup means.

File Server for a networked external storage. So if I will be scrping the idea of having it networked. Is using a single external hdd better compared to using a multi-bay external hdd (no networking, similar to My Book Pro Edition II [WD My Book are Dual Bay type]).

Since you're only talking 3 users a MUCH cheaper option would be to simply purchase a regular external FireWire drive and attach it to one of your existing PCs. From there you can share it out for all users to access.

Of course, that's not the optimum situation, but it's better than nothing and cheaper than purchasing a NAS or building a dedicated file server. A Western Digitial MyBook Premium 750GB can be found for around $250USD. Should you decided to build a dedicated file server later on, you can attach the MyBook to it as a backup device. :)