Integrate ICH9 SATA drivers on XP CD?

blunden

I'm going to install XP 32 bit as well as Vista 64 bit on my new system in a few weeks. I realised that since I'm not using any IDE-drives and I have no floppy in my appartment, I would need to integrate the drivers on the XP CD. It's a P35 board with the ICH9 south bridge. What files should I integrate with nLite? Anything specific that needs to be done?

1. Vista x64:

You should be able to get Vista x64 installed onto your system without loading any drivers, because Vista has suitable S-ATA drivers (but not the newest and best) in the box. Nevertheless it will be a good idea to load the content of the "Driver64" folder of the actual Intel Matrix Storage Manager package v. 7.6.0.1011 at the beginning of the Vista installation.

2. Windows XP (32bit):

If you have AHCI enabled within your BIOS, you have to load/integrate the 32bit Intel S-ATA AHCI Controller drivers, which are part of the actual Intel Matrix Storage Manager package v. 7.6.0.1011 too. You should download it from Intel's homepage, unzip it and integrate the content of the "Driver" folder as TEXTMODE driver by using nLite.

At the same time you can integrate the actual Intel INF driver package v. 8.3.1.1009 as PnP drivers.

EDIT: Here are the links to both driver packages:

Intel Matrix Storage Manager

Intel INF drivers

Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks a lot. However, Winrar can't extract the contents of the Storage driver and the setup doesn't unpack the correct files to temp dir when running it seems. How should I obtain them?
Within the linked Intel page with the Matrix Storage Manager you will find a 32bit and a 64bit Floppy Configuration Utility, but I am not sure if you can use them without a floppy drive.

To make it easier for you I have unzipped, repacked and uploaded the needed S-ATA driver folders ready for the integration:

Intel_SATARAID_32bit

Intel_SATARAID_64bit

Thanks a lot. However, Winrar can't extract the contents of the Storage driver and the setup doesn't unpack the correct files to temp dir when running it seems. How should I obtain them?
Within the linked Intel page with the Matrix Storage Manager you will find a 32bit and a 64bit Floppy Configuration Utility, but I am not sure if you can use them without a floppy drive.

To make it easier for you I have unzipped, repacked and uploaded the needed S-ATA driver folders ready for the integration:

Intel_SATARAID_32bit

Intel_SATARAID_64bit

Great. Thanks. Yeah, I tried the Floppy utility too, but it wouldn't even run so I guess it needed a floppy.

I just looked in the Last Session.ini file. In there is says the following with the paths censored:

[Drivers]

****\SATARAID\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ICH8R

****\SATARAID\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9R

****\IPMx2\All\5000XZVP.inf,0

I don't know if the first and last lines are correct. Is the ICH8R using the same driver as the ICH9R? I just selected to integrate the entire folder with the extracted SATA-drivers you gave me. Though I don't see any mention of iastor.inf. Do I need to integrate them separately?

For the last one, being the INF driver I copied the extracted drivers in the temp folder while the installer was running as there were no way of extracting them, just like the SATA ones. I just added that entire folder without removing the chipsets I didn't use. Is the last line saying it only integrated the 5000XZVP-driver or did it integrate all of them?

EDIT: Will applying the TCP-IP-patch mess with SFC?

Edited by blunden

I just looked in the Last Session.ini file. In there is says the following with the paths censored:

[Drivers]

I don't know if the first and last lines are correct. Is the ICH8R using the same driver as the ICH9R? I just selected to integrate the entire folder with the extracted SATA-drivers you gave me. Though I don't see any mention of iastor.inf. Do I need to integrate them separately?

For the last one, being the INF driver I copied the extracted drivers in the temp folder while the installer was running as there were no way of extracting them, just like the SATA ones. I just added that entire folder without removing the chipsets I didn't use. Is the last line saying it only integrated the 5000XZVP-driver or did it integrate all of them?

Everything seems to be fine.

1. Don't warry about the "iaStor_ICH8R" within the [Drivers] section of the Last Session.ini file. The correct name is "iaStor_ICH8R/ICH9R", but the last digits were cut. Yes, the ICH8R and ICH9R Controllers are using the same drivers. nLite has copied all files (even the not needed ones) of the Intel SATARAID driver package I had uploaded for you.

2. The last line is ok too. nLite has copied the entire content of the Intel INF driver folder "All", that means all files, into your bootable XP CD. The 5000XZVP.inf file obviously was the one you pointed to.

3. If you want to integrate the TCP/IP patch, you should disable the SFC.

1. Don't warry about the "iaStor_ICH8R" within the [Drivers] section of the Last Session.ini file. The correct name is "iaStor_ICH8R/ICH9R", but the last digits were cut. Yes, the ICH8R and ICH9R Controllers are using the same drivers. nLite has copied all files (even the not needed ones) of the Intel SATARAID driver package I had uploaded for you.

2. The last line is ok too. nLite has copied the entire content of the Intel INF driver folder "All", that means all files, into your bootable XP CD. The 5000XZVP.inf file obviously was the one you pointed to.

1. Great. I guessed that was the case since it said something like that in one of the inf-files.

2. I didn't point it to any specific inf, I just used the "import driver folder" option. I guess the 5000XZVP.inf was the first one it found though.

3. Ok. Will remove the patch then. I don't really need it anyway.

• 1 year later...

hi! I have a Vista VAIO FW-11M on which I am trying to intall XP

I have integrated those drivers on an XP CD using nLite.

I partitioned the disk in order to install XP on the other partition.

When I booted from the XP CD and the system reached the point saying "Setup is Starting Windows" I got a marvelous BSOD!

Any ideas?

hi! I have a Vista VAIO FW-11M on which I am trying to intall XP

I have integrated those drivers on an XP CD using nLite.

I partitioned the disk in order to install XP on the other partition.

When I booted from the XP CD and the system reached the point saying "Setup is Starting Windows" I got a marvelous BSOD!

Any ideas?

How old are your computer? What type of SATA drivers does it need?

If it is a new model you have maybe it is the same problem as I have when I tried on HP 2530p and 6930p..

Thread: I need help to install XP in AHCI mode on new models

Still no solution yet.. but going to test more..

Edited by coop75

[Drivers]

Is there a way to create the f6 driver files to install ICH9 on Windows 2000?

I am moving my Windows 2000 system disk to a new motherboard, the ECS G33T-M2.

According to the readme in the zipped files, http://downloads.datastarved.net/ahci_ich9.zip, Windows 2000 is not supported. When I try to install the drivers, I receive an error message "iastor is corrupted".

Is there a version of these drivers and install files that will work with Windows 2000 using the F6 option?

Thanks,

Hojax

1. Vista x64:

You should be able to get Vista x64 installed onto your system without loading any drivers, because Vista has suitable S-ATA drivers (but not the newest and best) in the box. Nevertheless it will be a good idea to load the content of the "Driver64" folder of the actual Intel Matrix Storage Manager package v. 7.6.0.1011 at the beginning of the Vista installation.

2. Windows XP (32bit):

If you have AHCI enabled within your BIOS, you have to load/integrate the 32bit Intel S-ATA AHCI Controller drivers, which are part of the actual Intel Matrix Storage Manager package v. 7.6.0.1011 too. You should download it from Intel's homepage, unzip it and integrate the content of the "Driver" folder as TEXTMODE driver by using nLite.

At the same time you can integrate the actual Intel INF driver package v. 8.3.1.1009 as PnP drivers.

EDIT: Here are the links to both driver packages:

Intel Matrix Storage Manager

Intel INF drivers

Using the above listed process for XP(32bit) I will say that it worked perfectly. For those who are not aware of the advanced setup flags, you can add -A [Extracts all files (does not install driver) to <path> if -P is also supplied; otherwise, the files are extracted to the default location.] to the end of the .exe files and extract the drivers to exactly where you want them. This really helps to locate the drivers prior to integrating with nLite. As far as the rest of the post above goes, everything is accurate.

• 6 months later...
Is there a way to create the f6 driver files to install ICH9 on Windows 2000?

I am moving my Windows 2000 system disk to a new motherboard, the ECS G33T-M2.

According to the readme in the zipped files, http://downloads.datastarved.net/ahci_ich9.zip, Windows 2000 is not supported. When I try to install the drivers, I receive an error message "iastor is corrupted".

Is there a version of these drivers and install files that will work with Windows 2000 using the F6 option?

Thanks,

Hojax

Hi Hojax,

I am facing the same problem and was wondering if you did find a solution.

Thanks.

w2k