Win98-like Shellstyle for WinXP

NoNameNeeded

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

You can download it here:

http://members.kabsi.at/LIGHTYEAR/shellstyle.dll

But in order to replace this shellstyle.dll with the original one from XP you'll need a program like Replacer.

Replacer automatically replaces the file (program should be self-explanatory) and creates a backup file (called shellstyle.backup).

http://www3.telus.net/_/replacer/

So if you want the original shellstyle look back you should copy the backup file to another folder, rename it to shellstyle.dll and then replace it with the Win98style-shellstyle.dll.

P.S. The file goes into X:\Windows\system32

Edited by NoNameNeeded

I've tried it.

What I have been looking for all this time is a webview for windows xp. I mean like windows 2000, integrated in the explorer, viewable with the tree view active and so on. In where you can preview images, videos, disk space, folder details... etc etc.

This shellstyle hack is close, but it doesn't have those features...

Just curious... why would you want to do this? I can see using Windows Classic theme, but why mimic 98 so closely?

It's actually just for fun.

I never really liked the new icons, bitmaps and the whole XP look (I liked the stability, though) so I tried to make it look more like Win98 (but with the advantages of WinXP, of course).

And this Win98-like shellstyle just looks better than the WinXP standard shellstyle in Classic view.

What I have been looking for all this time is a webview for windows xp. I mean like windows 2000, integrated in the explorer, viewable with the tree view active and so on. In where you can preview images, videos, disk space, folder details... etc etc.
Well it certainly is integrated in explorer (where else? ;) ) but you're right, it has absolutely nothing to do with the webview you found in Win9x and Win2000.

So all the additional functions like integrated media players and all this stuff cannot be used in my "webview" since it only is a modified XP-shellstyle.dll

There IS a way to use webview (the real one) in XP but it's not so easy.

How to do that? Does it involve creating desktop ini files? I've found an example in a ms website where in one of the screenies it's showed the webview, but they don't say how to enable it.

Yes, a desktop.ini file is required in every folder that should be shown using Webview.

That's also one of the main disadvantages about Webview in XP, because it also means that you cannot apply webview to places like My Computer, Control Panel, Network Neighborhood etc. since it is not possible to copy desktop.inis into these folders.

The second disadvantage is that the old webview (from Win98, Win2000) doesn't work properly due to some legal issue about Active-X Controls (Webview has something to do with Active-X)

That means that webview doesn't work properly if you installed updates newer than SP2 (so all updates that came after SP2 was released).

• 10 months later...

Good job,but is it possible just to have windows explorer show the folder name within folders at the top left in large black text like where your picture says COMPUTER, Complete with the preview pane?

Edited by advent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Just curious... why would you want to do this? I can see using Windows Classic theme, but why mimic 98 so closely?

Yeah, this. Especially when you can see the toolbars and sidebar actually taking up more space than an XP style would. The only time I have found the 98 web-style sidebar to be more useful than what we have currently is that simply selecting a drive in My Computer will show a monochrome piechart of its disk space.

Would be nice to see someone make a shell style of how the Windows 95 interface looked given it was faster, more efficient, had less crap in the way and didn't crash every two seconds...

How to do that? Does it involve creating desktop ini files? I've found an example in a ms website where in one of the screenies it's showed the webview, but they don't say how to enable it.

Yes, a desktop.ini file is required in every folder that should be shown using Webview.

That's also one of the main disadvantages about Webview in XP, because it also means that you cannot apply webview to places like My Computer, Control Panel, Network Neighborhood etc. since it is not possible to copy desktop.inis into these folders.

The second disadvantage is that the old webview (from Win98, Win2000) doesn't work properly due to some legal issue about Active-X Controls (Webview has something to do with Active-X)

That means that webview doesn't work properly if you installed updates newer than SP2 (so all updates that came after SP2 was released).

Yes, Microsoft breaking their own webview was probably one of *the* best things they did. There are very few occasions I can think of where I'd want a webpage displayed inside my folder Windows.