Do all Vista editions Require Activation & Wga?

gpatrick

Do all Vista editions Require Activation and Wga? I was wanting to know what Microsoft plans to do for mission critical systems. There are systems that have to run 24 hours a day and are not connected to the internet.

I read volume license customers even have to activate every 6 months. This is also bad for small businesses that do not use the internet.

I'm pretty sure you have to activate all editions of Vista, including Enterprise. As for WGA, I would guess it's also mandatory.

Yup, even Enterprise. My high school has a license for Enterprise. Got to install Vista for the first time while I was working there this summer. Kind of a pain to activate though, IMO...

Do all Vista editions Require Activation and Wga? I was wanting to know what Microsoft plans to do for mission critical systems. There are systems that have to run 24 hours a day and are not connected to the internet.

I read volume license customers even have to activate every 6 months. This is also bad for small businesses that do not use the internet.

There are 2 types of Volume Keys. MAKs can be activated a specific number of times. Once a computer is activated with a MAK it does not have to be reactivated. KMS keys are tied to an activation server the activated computer must connect to your KMS server at least once every 6 months. If a computer with a KMS key doesn't contact your KMS server the activation will expire and your server will have 1 more licence to reallocate. The KMS server can be activated online or by phone.

Royalty OEMs still don't have to activate.