Vista partition resizing + paragon partition manager

salaku

Hello,

I bought a new system that came with 500 GB disk running Vista Home premium. Factory install has partitioned it into 3 partitions. One hidden for system recovery image. The second one the actual C: about 228GB and a 3rd partition called Data d: for about 230GB.

Now the problem. I want to repartiton my c: into smaller chunks like 50 GB for boot and the rest of the space for 2 more partitions. I have used Paragon Partition Manager 8.5 for similar tasks before. But paragon now shows c: as not formatted !! . There is no option for shrink or anything. Vista's disk management shows it can shrink it to 140GB mark but not to 50 GB I was looking for. Any work around to without reinstall?

Also can I use any Vista media for reinstall on this system with the using OEM key sticker that came with the system? Because my Acer system didn't come with a recovery media but gave an option to build one. But that will restore the system to the factory default setup with the same 228GB c: drive which I don't want :(

Works ok for me. I resized my 20gb Vista boot drive to 25gb by resizing 2 other following partitions to gain the extra 5gb. I run PM8.5 from a BartPE boot CD.

I had a discussion with the official Paragon support team. Paragon 8.5 can not handle Vista partitions correctly. This is a fact! There were several threads about this issue in the official paragon support forum on http://forum.paragon.ag/customer/ with people crashed their vista partition. The support team told me that this will be fixed in the end of august and that the upcoming version will be 100% Vista compatible.

Paragon Software has totally rewritten its engine to fix this problem of working with unaligned partitions created by Windows Vista. The update is being under close testings and its release is coming at the end of August - start of September.

All 8.5 version owners will get update free of charge and this version must solve all problems of repartitioning Windows Vista.

You are a lucky man. Paragon could have crashed your whole partition!

Edited by Stefan S.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am gonna blow all the partitions and reinstall vista. I called Microsoft and they it is fine as long as I use the OEM key came with my Acer.

Hopefully the future versions of PM will address they kinda issues.