File sharing throught network problem.

gugutz

I went to a client´s home to make her pc see her notebook (and the other way around) throught a wi-fi network, so as share her hp printer.

What happened was that i could see her notebook on her pc, but the pc (and the printer connected to it) wouldn´t appear on her notebook. So i left her house leaving a "half-network" done.

Does anyone any an idea of what it could be? It never happened to me before.

And all the services need for file sharing to function are setted as auto and initiated on startup.

Am missing something really lame?

Thanks in advance.

gugutz.

More information could be useful here, like what did you already done.

I presume that both systems are on Windows XP SP2.

You could check if "file and printer sharing" has been enable on the PC's windows firewall. Also, make sure that "simple file sharing" is turned off on both computers.

Are these computers using any other firewall software?

Anyway, pop some more information here so it's easier for people trying to help you (IP's, workgroup etc)

Edited by N1K

both are under windows xp sp2.

simple file sharing is off, i setted permissions and acess levels for users on both machines.

nothing seem the be wrong with firewalls (i even disabled it to see if it would solve the problem)

as has been said, ensure its allowed through the firewall, disable simple sharing and open gpedit and find a policy that says "allow local users to authenticate as themselves"

this essentially means that if you have an account on each pc with the same name and password they will be able to authenticate with the other pc and see any shares

remeber though xp as with all clients i believe are limited to 10 concurrent connections :)

good luck

p.s if its xp home then im afraid there is no GPO for this :)