Should I?

thebigbluecan

Performance isn't a reason why people switch back to XP, given that on most recent, or fairly recent systems, Vista will give better day-to-day performance. The main reason to switch back to XP is if you have hardware that isn't compatible. If it's a software applications, Virtual PC 2007 can solve that issue.

i had vista its nice and lovely but had lots of problem drivers didnt work well

that why the system is working so slowly

so the outcome is: vista is not ready

i want to move to vista cuz i get enuff from xp but i'll wait for it when its good and ready else its just gonna be a pain

[sp1 beta maybe make the vista ready to use but sp1 final in 2008 should do it]

Go with XP until the major bugs in Vista are fixed. I had to switch back to XP because the new memory manager failed to release memory back to the system when doing a file copy. Out of memory error popped up when copying 50 megs worth of stuff. That and all the little quirks and inconsistancies of the OS. SP1 BETA doesn't seem like it does much to improve things atm.

This is something that you're going to have to decide for yourself in the end, because 50% of the responses will be about why you should go back to XP, and the other 50% will be about why you should stick with Vista. Personally, I'd stick with Vista as it does perform better than XP overall.

MrCobra: I'm afraid I disagree. SP1 looks as though it will fix many problems with Vista, not that I HAVE many to begin with. I already consider it a far superior OS to XP, but to each his own. :)

Thanks I'll wait for a little bit more replys before switching or not switching. All my hardware has the right drivers and stuff, I just dont like how vista uses my harddrive every 5 seconds or less, even when sleeping, and how long it takes to copy files ect. and other little things.

You aren't doing anything negative to your hard drive by letting Vista's Indexing service run on it. That's by design, and only speeds up searching. The Vista search feature is one of the reasons why I won't go back to XP.

As for the delay in file copies, that's been mostly fixed, for me atleast, with the Performance patches that have been out for over a week now. Also, if you follow the standard tweaks of disabling the two options starting with Link Layer and IPv6 (unless you are using it) in TCP/IP properties , that makes a HUGE difference.

You aren't doing anything negative to your hard drive by letting Vista's Indexing service run on it. That's by design, and only speeds up searching. The Vista search feature is one of the reasons why I won't go back to XP.

As for the delay in file copies, that's been mostly fixed, for me atleast, with the Performance patches that have been out for over a week now. Also, if you follow the standard tweaks of disabling the two options starting with Link Layer and IPv6 (unless you are using it) in TCP/IP properties , that makes a HUGE difference.

Wheres the tcp/ip properties at? thanks

It's not slow file copies that's the problem. I never had a problem with that. While copying files between drives Vista had an out of memory error on file copy process. The Superfetch failed to release memory back to the system when it was needed. That was the big turn off for me; that and other annoying things.