64 bit Licence upgrade

Carrotman

I upgraded to Vista Ultimate 32-bit a few months ago. I'm an MCT and need to run many virtual PCs simulateously and thus require a stupidly large amount of memory. Thus I have reached the memory limit of a 32-bit system.

I would like to 'upgrade' to the 64-bit version. I know that this is a complete re-install with no upgrade route available, but is there any way to upgrade the licence to 64-bit and not have to pay another (somewhat large) chunk of money for a completely new licence?

Thanks

Assuming you bought a retail package that contained both the x86 and x64 CDs, you may be able to format and reinstall using the x64 disc, and reuse the key. Activation may very well fail initially, but since you have a retail copy and are moving the license from the x86 install to an x64 install on the same machine, it should be OK. If you have an OEM copy purchased with your computer, however, you don't really have that option.

It says that there are no 'Offers' for my Key.

I am using a key obtained through Anytime Upgrade. Is there anywhere I can legally download the iso/img for Vista Ult x64?

Not that I recall. If memory serves me (very well could be wrong), your key is not elegible for 64bit because you used the anytime upgrade option.

I originally purchased Vista Ultimate retail with both disks, I installed the 32bit version and also had the same problem with the large amount of memory. So I wiped the drive and installed the 64bit version and after explaining the situation to the activation police everything is fine. So you might try calling them and letting them know the situation is and then see what happens.

I haven't found to very many programs that don't run on my system. I use mostly newer software, from what I have read it is mostly older software that has the compatibility issues, because of the installer that is used. I am running Vista 64bit ultimate with all current drivers for my hardware and have no problems.