Vista 32 bit Or Vista 64 bit

alucke

There isn't a problem of driver availability...if Vista drivers exist, you should be able to find both. As of now, both are about even in terms of compatibility. Most people tend to go with x64 simply because it's more future proof. If anything, x64 is snappier on the same system than x86. If you think you'll have 4 GB of system memory anytime within the next few years, you'd also want to go with Vista x64, or else you'd be re-installing your OS just to upgrade your memory.

Got a new laptop so I removed the 32 bit vista business that came on it and put 64 bit vista on. It was working great and I had no problem with most drivers. The 64 bit wouldn't see the SD card reader built into the laptop for some reason. Anyway, about two weeks after using it, suddenly my 32 bit programs (everything on the laptop except for IE 64 bit) just kept crashing. Office 2007, MS Studio 2005, even Internet Explorer. They would just crash and constantly send fix it messages to MS. I reloaded the 32 bit version because I travel a lot and can't have that heppen to me onthe road. All my files were good, just the programs stopped working. Don't know what caused it.

I installed 32bit Vista Ultimate retail on my new build, and after realizing that I wasn't going to be able to make use of the 4 gig of memory installed, due to the memory mapping issues with the 32bit os's I switched to 64bit Vista Ultimate and haven't looked back yet. There are drivers for all of my hardware and Have no issues to speak of. I would go 64bit.

System Specs:

EVGA 680I mother Board

1-WD 150gb Raptor

3-WD 500gb Caviar Se

2-EVGA 8800gtx’s/ SLI

4gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600

Sound Blaster XFI Plat.

Intel 6800 extreme @ 3.2 ghz

Enermax 1000 Galaxy PSU

Vigor Gaming Monsoon 2 CPU cooler(peltier)