Sysprep - Support Multiple Display Resolutions

_jd_

How are people handling the support for multiple display resolutions in their XP images? The sysprep answer file (sysprep.inf) allows only a default resolution to be specified in the [Display] section. In my case, I need to support 1024x768, 1280x800, 1280x1024, and 1680x1050 and i'd like the appropriate resolution to be configured during mini-setup so that the it's configured for the first user login.

Should the appropriate resolution not be set as per the .inf for the attached display?

Anyone? I haven't had too much time to dig into this over the last few days but i've done testing with new Samsung 19" LCDs w/ a native resolution and sure enough, post-image the resolution is set to 1024x768 as per my sysprep.inf. I suppose I could get into some writing scripts to identify the attached display hardware and set the resolution accordingly... but i'd prefer a more dynamic approach.

I believe you will need to do it either at first logon, runonceex, or maybe svcpack.inf, using a third party or self written EXE. There isn't any easy way to adjust screen resolution using VBscript at least. Maybe AutoIt could. If I can find it I have a VB6 app I wrote to change the primary screen resolution, might not take much to modify it for additional monitors.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found it after some prompting from another member. The attached zip contains both the VB6 source and the compiled command line EXE. Only works on one monitor though, have not been able to get it to work correctly with two monitors.

Usage: ResChange <width> <height> <depth>

resolution.zip

• 1 year later...
How are people handling the support for multiple display resolutions in their XP images? The sysprep answer file (sysprep.inf) allows only a default resolution to be specified in the [Display] section. In my case, I need to support 1024x768, 1280x800, 1280x1024, and 1680x1050 and i'd like the appropriate resolution to be configured during mini-setup so that the it's configured for the first user login.

Should the appropriate resolution not be set as per the .inf for the attached display?

Someone have an answer for this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

I set the default resolution, but once mini-setup loads the display driver it normally defaults to the max resolution without any adjustment needed on my part.

After re-reading the question, I'm not sure if there actually is a problem. If the display driver is loaded, the resolutions are supported. Defining a default resolution in the inf does not mean they aren't supported, just not selected as the default. However, just because the video card may support a specific resolution does not mean the attached monitor does as well. Have you had specific issues with resolutions or are you just questioning the process?