WMV file clean up?

bbone

I would like to know, if anyone can recommend me a good WMV file clean-up program that strip the file from all crap that was get added into it.

The problem?

I tried to fix video play pauses with video from Panasonic TZ3 camera by updating the BSplayer to v 2.21 or so... It not fix the issue, but it added a troyan to my system. When I get rid of it, some WMV videos (rather perverted and rare, so to add) get busted - eg. it is not possible to play them anymore with old WinMedia player 7, or BSplayer Pro 1.41.

Media Player Classic and WinMedia player 9 can play them, tough.

I tried the ASF-AVI-RM-WMV Repair v1.82 ( http://www.repairvideo.com/ ) but it did not help me with this particular issue - but it did speed-up playing start of some RM files, so it does work somewhat...

Any ideas, suggestions?

If necessary I can upload on rapidsh*t some tame files, like:

Realtickling - Vibcharlotte3.wmv

...to be inspected :D 88 240 450 bytes, tough...

Anyone?

Since MPC and WMP9 can play the files, you can take a deep sigh of relief knowing that your wmv files are fine. This is a codec issue and / or a WMP .dll registration issue

Please refer to this very insightful webpage that covers just about every issue involving WMP & wmv/asf.

WMP FAQ: A trouble-shooting guide for Windows Media Player problems

I believe your problem specificlly is a dll issue and is not a major hassle to fix. However I'm willing to bet a reinstall of MS's codec package will fix the problem quickly.

Get it here. Install and reboot.

If for some crazy reason you still can't play your files, get Dial-a-fix and run it using the options to register WMP, Direct X, programming cores/runtimes, etc.

If in the future you do have a damaged .asf/.wmv file and need to repair it, try either asfbin or Movica. Both are free. asfbin is IMO the best utility you can use to re-index and remove damage from those files.

Edited by LiquidSage

I have to agree with LiquidSage this sounds like a software problem and not a problem with the videos themselves, though that is still possible. I would recommend you try playing them on another computer and see if you have the same problem.

Thanks for letting us know about asfbin and Movica LiquidSage, those look handy :)

• 2 months later...

LiquidSage - thanks for pointing me into the right direction! :thumbup

DigeratiPrime - yea, they play fine...

...and the problem was - screwed up Windows! :blushing:

Problem fixed.

Believe it or not, it was the device drivers busted by - well, gotta come clean - me.

In desperate search for virus in my machine, I uninstalled quite a few hidden device drivers from windows. I just picked the ones with bad / weird names. Results - wmv files busted in certain players and computer not reacting on power off button. Oh, well, and DVDRW drive not working/detected at all.

Problem fixed by restoring the backup of win (hooray for DriveImage) and removing just the known virus dll file and nothing else. Worked perfectly.

Now where is my CD's for longer time backups that DVD's...? :whistle: