XPCREATE 2007

GreenMachine

XPCREATE has been updated to handle the latest hotfixes, and create a Windows Installation Disk the lists no High Priority or Recommended Updates upon first boot. This version is still in the test phase, and currently I have only tested with Windows XP. The vast majority of the various types of hotfixes and updates (93 of 116) are slipstreamed into the source. The remainder are installed at the T-13 point in the installation, via the SVCPACK.INF installation file. The files that are not actually slipstreamed include:

• Windows Media Player 11 and Updates
  • Internet Explorer 7 and Updates
  • .Net Versions 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0
  • Digital Rights Management
  • Windows Update Agent

While most of these updates install or slipstream in the standard fashion used in previous versions of XPCREATE, there are a few significant exceptions:

• Windows Media Player 11: The various installation files have been extracted from the original distribution file, in order to install without the uninstall option.
  • Internet Explorer 7: In order to install the updates during the Windows Installation process, the main Internet Explorer file, IEXPLORE.EXE, has been slipstreamed into the Windows source.
  • .NET 2.0 / 3.0: Two registry edits, as noted in Aaron Stebner’s Blog, are made to allow the installation to succeed

My tests have all been performed using an MSDN Windows Volume License Key (VLK) version of Windows XP, and Royalty OEM Versions (i.e. Dell, HP, etc.). These versions do not require activation. This is of significance for installing Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. In retail versions of Windows, it may not be possible to install these Windows Components during Windows installation, as Windows Genuine Authentication, thus Windows activation, may be required.

The most difficult challenge in preparing this version of XPCREATE was installing .Net Version 3.0, without breaking the WebClient Service. For reasons unbeknownst to me, the key seems to be in the order of which different updates are installed, some of which would appear to have no relation to either .Net or the WebClient service. I cannot explain the why or wherefore of this, but after burning and installing an embarrassing number of installation DVDs, I came upon an installation order that works.

The resulting Windows Installation DVD does cause a few errors to appear in the Windows Event Log Viewer. In the System Log, there is a reported error for the installation of the Shockwave Flash Internet Explorer plug-in. I believe this to be a “false” alert, as Shockwave is installed and working. Both .Net 2.0 and .Net 3.0 result in 2 errors in the Application Log. These errors are better explained on Aaron Stebner’s Blog. Both version of .Net do install and function.

Finally, the Windows Installation Source produced is close to 900 Mbytes in size. Even removing many of the “unneeded” files results in a source over 700 Mbytes, thus too big to fit on a CD. Until Windows XP Service Pack 3 is released, I will not be attempting to “slim” this down to CD size.

The XPCREATE Web Site has been updated to list the hotfixes needed for Windows XP.

This version is still in the test phase. If you are an experienced user of XPCREATE, and if you are interested in testing, and have access to a VLK or Royalty OEM version of Windows XP to test, please send me a PM, and I will send you a link to the test version of XPCREATE. Once I have enough testers, I will remove the downloadable test version, until I am satisfied with the results and the (possible) corrections.

Some questions in addition...

In your Update List from 28th September for Windows XP I see only update for msxml6, neither the installer of msxml6 itself nor previous versions / updates of / for msxml. I mean e.g. msxml3, msxml4. Is that correct?

Other question is - now there is the folder named X2I (not X2M, as it was earlier). It that correct too?

Additionally: What size of distributibe will I get slipstreaming all these updates from 28th September 2007?

As I suppose, CD will not match, only DVD? What updates can I exclude from slipstreaming without any problems?

IE7, I think, is not excludable, because another way there should be updates for IE6, right?

Well, I will wait for your new version for testing and also I would like to get answers to my questions. Thanks in advance, GreenMachine! :)

Some questions in addition...

In your Update List from 28th September for Windows XP I see only update for msxml6, neither the installer of msxml6 itself nor previous versions / updates of / for msxml. I mean e.g. msxml3, msxml4. Is that correct?

Other question is - now there is the folder named X2I (not X2M, as it was earlier). It that correct too?

Additionally: What size of distributibe will I get slipstreaming all these updates from 28th September 2007?

As I suppose, CD will not match, only DVD? What updates can I exclude from slipstreaming without any problems?

IE7, I think, is not excludable, because another way there should be updates for IE6, right?

Well, I will wait for your new version for testing and also I would like to get answers to my questions. Thanks in advance, GreenMachine! :)

Yes, the list only includes the MSXML 6 Update, but I do believe that it installs all of MSXML 6.

There are no updates for the other MSXML versions listed, simply because Windows Update did not list any.

Yes, there is now an SVC-X2I folder. The SVC-X2M folder still works, but the MSI wrapper is different in the SVC-X2I folder.

My XPCREATION was nearly 900 Mbytes, but I removed nothing from the source, nor the hotfix list. A good part of that is due to the various .NET versions.

I do not know which updates can be excluded, as I have not tested all combinations. My objective is to create an XP installation that lists zero updates, "Recommended" or "Optional" in Windows Update, and this is the list I came up with. If you find that a hotfix can be removed from the list, and Windows Update does not complain, please let me know.

Since my last post, Microsoft has released a new standalone version of the Windows Update Agent, as well as a re-issue of Internet Explorer 7. The new version of IE7 allows for installtion during setup on non-activated systems. These avoids the need to install IE7 later on non-VLK/Royalty OEM versions.

Those of you that requested to test this version have been PMed the download link.

• 1 month later...

Hi Greenmachine,

Please send me the link because I am still using XPCREATE and I would like very much to test the new version. I posted several questions in the past about a new release and finally there you are. I already sent you a PM.

Bitfrotter

• 2 weeks later...

@All,

Hi there, is there someone who has the new XPCREATE version for testing and is willing to send it to me. I have sent a message to Greenmachine but he is not responding. I would very much like to test this version. I am using the previous version for a long time and I am very happy about that.

With that version I managed to create a cdrom that only needs 2 IE 7.0 updates that i am unable to integrate. With the new version it should be possible to create a fully up to date cdrom.

Thanks in advance,

Bitfrotter

B)

@All,

Hi there, is there someone who has the new XPCREATE version for testing and is willing to send it to me. I have sent a message to Greenmachine but he is not responding. I would very much like to test this version...

Bitfrotter

B)

Ditto for me, been using XPCreate for "a long time" and would like to test/help but not had a reply from GM. So, GM :hello: if you're listing, "I appreciate you're a busy man, but can we play with your new toy please". Otherwise if anyone has the new version and willing to share... :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

@All,

Is there somebody out there.............................................................. :-)

Maybe it is possible, because it is Christmas, that someone has the new XPCREATE version for me to download. I have sent several messages to Greenmachine but unfortunatly he did not respond yet.

I am a long time very happy user of the XPCREATE version of 2006 and I am looking forward to test and use the new version.

Thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas and Very Happy New Year to al the members and visitors to this GREAT Forum.

Bitfrotter

• 2 weeks later...

@All,

Is there anybody out there that is testing with the new XPCREATE version or is it just a joke.................................

Please make the new tool available to someone who is using the previous version with satisfaction.......................

Greetings,

Bitfrotter

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, if i am a bit ignorant... But can I download the hotfixes using XPCreate, and then use NLite to do my rest of slipstreaming and making stuff, as usual? Will it create problems, like Ryan's VM Updatepack does?