Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Kurt_Aust

HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust    6

It looks like it will be mainly root certificate and application updates from now on.

Unless there is some other component change they will not be listed in the ChangeLog, however the relevant posts will note the month of latest update.

PCBONEZ    0

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find a reason.

Why is 940-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB2900986-x64-ENU.exe in \Hotfix for IE6 and IE8 but in \XP64\RunOnce for IE7?

(This is all in the "XP x64 hotfix lists" page.)

Edited by PCBONEZ

Kurt_Aust    6

KB2900986 doesn't seem to integrate properly when either using IE7 or when performing the process on a 32-bit host.

To avoid it showing up on Windows Update it's silently installed at \RunOnce.

PCBONEZ    0

Thank you for getting right back. It still doesn't make sense that 7 (the middle one) is different from 6 & 8 but I'll take your word for it.

I would have expected to see 6 & 7 (older set) different from 8 -or- 7 & 8 (newer set) different from 6, not the middle one different.

I've been rearranging your XP64 package into prebuilt drop-in Modules for some of the optional configurations. In the course of doing that I manually assemble a file set and directory structure for each option. I noticed the difference when building the three IE Modules.

Edited by PCBONEZ

PCBONEZ    0

Also an XP64 question. I've looked online and found no definite answer. Someone in the knowledge pool here probably knows this off the top of their head.

Am I correct that XP64 SP1 and SP2 are like W2k3x64 and come as original with no .NET integrated in the OS?

Thanks in advance.

5eraph    185

Define "integrated."  ;)

W2k3x64R2 has an installer for .NET 2.0 named NETFX64.EXE in the "CMPNENTS\R2" folder that can be called from the Optional Components wizard.  XPx64 and "R1" editions of Win2k3x64 do not include this installer.

PCBONEZ    0
2 hours ago, 5eraph said:

Define "integrated."  ;)

W2k3x64R2 has an installer for .NET 2.0 named NETFX64.EXE in the "CMPNENTS\R2" folder that can be called from the Optional Components wizard.  XPx64 and "R1" editions of Win2k3x64 do not include this installer.

Thanks 5eraph.

By "integrated" I mean if you use a bone-stock unaltered (SP1 or SP2) install media you end up with (none/which) .NET installed.

I wasn't asking about R2. The info doesn't hurt but W2k3x64(R2) doesn't seem to be in locked-step with XP64 like W2k3x64(R1) seems to be so I didn't even think about R2 as a mirror (so to speak) of XP64.

I would expect W2k3x64(R1) and XP64 to be the same in regard to .NET, but, while the lack of .NET in W2k3x64(R1) is mentioned in several places, none seem to mention what goes on with .NET and XP64.

Here is an example. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os/ -- They don't mention XP64 at all. Same every place I looked.

The reason I'm asking has to do with making the package Modular. If I strip all the (provided) .NET files out for the .NET-None idea (in Kurt's 1st post) and there is a .NET in the install media then it's not really .NET-None and any security fixes for the integrated .NET version/level would need to be put back in. (Something similar happens with the IE and WMP Modules but those were easy to figure out what version comes integrated in XP64.)  

You answered what I was asking except for one minor detail. - SP1 vs SP2. - I think I know the answer but I'm not an expert like some of you folks so I'll ask.

Am I correct that -both- XP64 SP1 & SP2 (with original/unaltered media) lack any version of .NET. (Same as with W2k3x64(R1) SP1 & SP2.)

Thank you again.

Edited by PCBONEZ

5eraph    185

Correct, PCBONEZ  .NET is not on any of my media for XPx64 (SP1 or SP2) or Win2k3x64SP2 (R1).

Edited by 5eraph

Rho Borg    0

This is more a question about nLiteing "successfully" a copy of Windows XP Pro SP 2 64 bit iso;I have tried 3 times to slipstream,lighten,tweak Windows XP Pro 64 bit iso with nLite....but,always get a missing or corrupt "Hal.dll" file error after Text Mode of setup is finished in virtualbox,and was wondering how to "fix" the error without abandoning using nLite or ??

Any recommendations,suggestions,tuts or sub-forum referrals (if necessary) will be appreciated!!

hal-dll-missing-corrupt-xp-57fd205d3df78c690f815007.PNG

Kurt_Aust    6

Just got back from holidays

Now while I won't try to troubleshoot component removals, if it doesn't work without removing any components, ask yourself if you did the following steps correctly:

Note that nLite must be run with administrator privileges, you might need to disable anti-virus software and most importantly, slipstreaming Service Pack 2 must be done on a Win NT 5.x host (2000/XP/XPx64/2003/2003x64).

If working from a SP1 source slipstream service pack 2 then exit nLite (if nLite is open it can interfere with the WMP11 slipstreamer).

These are the things most likely to result in a corrupt file error (assuming a clean source), note that all the Microsoft downloads should have a valid digital signature.

PCBONEZ    0

In your XP64 Hotfix page in the WMP11 section you refer to steps 3 and 9, but over here in the guide you haven't numbered any steps - so which/where are steps 3 and 9?

Particularly where is step 9 in the sequence. I can't tell if for a WMP11 silent install I should copy the WMP11 folder into \XP64\ before or after I run the process.

Thanks.

Edited by PCBONEZ

Kurt_Aust    6

Due to the stupid WYSIsn'tWYG editor MSFN now uses I can't fix it when the main post goes awry, for instance when lists change from numbered sequence to bullet points.

That is why it got moved to RyanVM, go by that version of the guide.  Note that some options got removed, partly to simplify testing, but mainly because some things not longer worked with the pure hotfix method but still did when using 5eraph's packs.