HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

December updates

Deletions:

Hotfix\144-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB955069-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\148-msxml6-KB954459-enu-amd64.exe

Hotfix\256-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB970653-v3-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\904-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB974455-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\906-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB976749-x64-ENU.exe

RunOnce\msxml.msi

RunOnce\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB926139-v2-x64-ENU.exe

Additions:

@ . . . Hotfix\312-msxml4-KB973685-enu.exe .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,046,296 Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP3

@ . . . Hotfix\316-msxml6-KB973686-enu-amd64.exe .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,862,488 Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 SP2

@ . . . Hotfix\320-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB973687-x64-ENU.exe .. . 2,775,408 Microsoft XML Core Services 3.0

@ . . . Hotfix\324-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB976098-v2-x64-ENU.exe .. 705,904 Time Zone - December 2009 - Cumulative

@ . . . Hotfix\328-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB974318-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 891,248 MS09-071 - Internet Authentication Service

@ . . . Hotfix\332-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB974392-x64-ENU.exe . . . . 950,128 MS09-069 - Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS)

@ . . . Hotfix\336-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB955759-x64-ENU.exe .. . 1,272,192 Indeo Codec

@ . . . Hotfix\340-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB973904-x64-ENU.exe .. . 1,721,728 MS09-073 - WordPad Text Converter

@ . . . Hotfix\344-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB970430-x64-ENU.exe .. . 1,104,240 Extended Protection for Authentication - http.sys

@ . . . Hotfix\348-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB971737-x64-ENU.exe .. . 1,054,080 Extended Protection for Authentication - WinHTTP

# Hotfix\904-IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB976325-x64-ENU.exe 39,470,464 MS09-072 - Cumulative Security Update

# RunOnce\WindowsServer2003-KB968930-x64-ENG.exe 10,334,496 PowerShell 2.0

Replacements:

# Hotfix\900-5er_IE8_Addon_2009-03_3_x64.7z 24,202,707 5eraph's Internet Explorer 8 AddOn, optional - the older versions still work fine

@ . . . RunOnce\install_flash_player_ax.exe 1,956,528 Updated 8 Dec

# RunOnce\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe 7,749,976 Updated (in this guide) 8 Dec

.. . . . . RunOnce\WinUp.lnk When updating the security certificate, Microsoft forgot to include update.microsoft.com, doh!

Actually, my main rig also uses the UAA HD audio driver (Realtek), rather strange they didn't include it in SP2. Mind you I get a vicious driver conflict (BSOD) if I try to install the audio drivers for the HDMI output on my video card (ATI/Realtek). It doesn't much like the manufacturer's .inf file for my monitor either (plug in mic, screen goes blank).

• 3 weeks later...

Man this is just great! Definitely using this guide to create my next XP install. But is there a 32-bit version of this guide anywhere at all? That would be more popular...
To the best of my knowledge nobody has written such a guide and I don't have the time to do so, also as I don't use 32-bit XP I couldn't test it properly.

That being said, the concepts used in the guide are transferable to 32-bit XP with one important change. Specifically that the TimeOut command does NOT exist on 32-bit XP systems so you have to replace

TimeOut /T x

with (20>21, not 20>20+1)

Ping -n x+1 127.0.0.1 > nul

where x is the delay in seconds.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has written such a guide and I don't have the time to do so, also as I don't use 32-bit XP I couldn't test it properly.

That being said, the concepts used in the guide are transferable to 32-bit XP with one important change. Specifically that the TimeOut command does NOT exist on 32-bit XP systems so you have to replace

TimeOut /T x

Thanks for the info, will look into using this guide then.

• 2 weeks later...

TimeOut /T x

Thanks for the info, will look into using this guide then.

Looks like I posted my question in the wrong place, so let me repost it here.

The survey seems to indicate that others have used the guide on XP32, so it must have worked.

Before I go study the guide in detail, do I take you to mean that the attached files you list upfront to download, and which have xp64 names will work AS IS (except for the timeout) as long as one uses the appropriate xp32 packs, add-ons, etc? Or does one need to modify them? What about the directories it creates?

Also, can one create the xp32 CD on a XP64 system, or must one do it on a xp32 system?

Thanks.

Looks like I posted my question in the wrong place, so let me repost it here.

The survey seems to indicate that others have used the guide on XP32, so it must have worked.

Before I go study the guide in detail, do I take you to mean that the attached files you list upfront to download, and which have xp64 names will work AS IS (except for the timeout) as long as one uses the appropriate xp32 packs, add-ons, etc? Or does one need to modify them? What about the directories it creates?

Also, can one create the xp32 CD on a XP64 system, or must one do it on a xp32 system?

Thanks.

Actually no, the survey is asking "Did you create your 64-bit XP install disk on a 32-bit XP system?". You'll need a completely different hotfix list to create a 32-bit XP install disk. One can create W2K, XP-32 & XP-64 install disks on 64-bit XP without problems.

OK, thanks.

Now, if I always run as Administrator, should I just delete all the material referring to access or do I have to modify anything?

There's no point deleting the files, they're less than half a meg and don't use system resources, besides there are times where even Administrators are unable to access files and you can then use the utility to grant yourself access (the leftover .Net 3.5 setup folder for instance).

January update

Deletion:

Hotfix\260-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB961371-v2-x64-ENU.exe

Addition:

@ Hotfix\352-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB972270-x64-ENU.exe 868,720 MS10-001 - Embedded OpenType Font Engine

Unfortunately MediaFire is giving me trouble uploading the updated archive, but rather than waiting for goodness knows how long before I can get it up (insert snide comment here), I'll just note that the one updated hotfix is less than a megabyte and doesn't require a reboot.

kurt,

the tweakui x64 addon you list in the guide -- does it require the bat file to be integrated, or can it be integrated as a hotfix by nLite?

I see that inside the archive is an exe file and no entries file -- hence my question.

Thanks.

There's a bit of confusion here, what Kurt call add-ons are not add-ons in nLite, RVMI or HFSLIP terms (compressed and with an entries.ini file), furthermore Kurt don't recommend this kind of add-ons for x64, but what Kurt call add-ons in the first post goes in the \Addons folder.

Kurt_Aust

I've never heard of that file associations problem with XP x64 add-ons (apparently, from what I read here, it seems to affect only to T-13 add-ons), but apparently there seemed to be some x64 add-ons around working. What's exactly happens? Is it only on some apps? x64 RunOnce or RunOnceEx add-ons works right? Apparently working x64 add-ons around are not T-13 add-ons?

Edited by strel

well, that's what I was referring to initially: confusion about the term add-ons and where should they be added in nLite.

I am interested only in x64 addons that can be added at Hotfix and don't require any switches/commands. those that require the latter and which are added at RunOnce don't matter much -- I prefer to install them myself manually after windows.

the only issues I came to were

(1) the .NET, 2SP2 now, 3 and 3.5 later, if I ever need them; and

(2) one posted online, TweakUI, which Kurt attached to his guide.

what I need to know is can either be added at Hotfix? if not, can the method posted by Aaron Stebner that I posted in the other thread be modified to create a Hotfix addon for (1)?

Here's what Stebner replied when I asked him:

> I'm not familiar with nLite, so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to answer this question. Does nLite prevent you from being able to pass command line parameters to the installer when you run it? If so, can you write a wrapper script that would not require command line parameters but that can launch the .NET Framework setup with the required command line parameters?<

That's essentially what I was asking as I am not technical enough to know the answer.

Kurt states that add-ons added at nLite hotfix stage doesn't fit with XP x64 causing file association problems. So, I'm not sure, but I suppose he is only referring to T-13 add-ons, and if that's correct, it would be possible to make working RunOnce add-ons for both that would work with RVMI and HFSLIP, and as long as you don't use conflictive entries.ini settings, with nLite.

I communicated with Stebner on this and he tells me that at the time when people were having problems trying to install the .Net via SVCPACK.INF during T-13 he found a workaround which he posted here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200.../06/591694.aspx

The x64 version of the modified SVCPACK.INF file would look like this:

[CatalogHeader]

[Version]

Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\amd64\SVCPACK"

[setupHotfixesToRun]

reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW /f

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup /v SystemSetupInProgress /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Net20SP2.exe /Q /C:"install.exe /Q"

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup /v SystemSetupInProgress /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

KB958481.exe /Q /C:"install.exe /Q"

KB974417.exe /Q /C:"install.exe /Q"

KB968930.exe /Q /C:"install.exe /Q"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

which assumes the installers are in the AMD64 folder of the source.

Note that I have included not just the SP2 install but also the 3 fixes. I am not sure whether they will work the same, so

maybe somebody knows.

TweakUI is not a hotfix and hence can't be integrated, 7-Zip is used to extract it to %SystemRoot% as noted in it's description "there are no silent install switches".

All items in the \RunOnce and \AddOns folders (with the possible exception of Windows Search 4.0 and it's hotfix) can't be integrated, if they could they would be in the \Hotfix folder.

Strel is correct in assuming that it is T-13 AddOns that give problems, the programs themselves install, but their related file associations are not registered, hence if the program doesn't have file associations there should be no problem using a T-13 AddOn.

The batch file approach used in this guide allows an easy way to install such programs on first or subsequent logons and allows the end user to add their own programs to the install with relative ease. Also it means they don't have to wait for someone to repackage an updated version into an AddOn.