Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (February 2015)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
727 replies to this topic

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

Master of trial, error & Google

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
I've just done a quick test with the switches supplied, the -c, -m & -x switches seem to work as suggested, so you'd be looking at a section like this:

rem firewall
"%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z" X %Source%AddOns\CFP_Setup_3.0.25.378_XP_Vista_x64.exe -O%Temp%
%Temp%\CFP_Setup_3.0.25.378_XP_Vista_x64.exe -s
Del %Temp%\CFP_Setup_3.0.25.378_XP_Vista_x64.exe
"%ProgramFiles%\Comodo\Firewall\cfpconfg" -m -c%Source%AddOns\CFPsettings.cfg

Mind you, I'd exercise extreme caution with this.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
I had decided to try to let WPI do the reboot after Kurt_Aust's install procedure completes. I discovered that any of three reboot options I tried did not work. This turned out to be a 64 bit problem. WPI guru, mritter, has been working on making WPI 64 bit compatible the last few days and has sent me a Beta that seems to solve the problems. I was using WPI to do some installs for me and when I added a reboot, it seems to be OK. I have more testing and have never tried a full install. The Windows Personalizations run to completion before WPI starts. Since I started this testing, I removed the shutdowm from Kurt's procedure and have seen no more of the missing Quick Launch folder problem I saw before. I think this is useful because it removes the need to guess at a shutdown delay, or specify a huge delay to avoid problems.

Any comments are more than welcomed.

Enjoy, John.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,180 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

FYI over @ RyanVM there is a updatepack for XP x64 http://www.ryanvm.ne...opic.php?t=6400

I think we know about it.
Slight problems with it tho, it approaches updating only updates, not also IE to 7 (or newest). Whether we like it or not, IE is integral part of windows.
Currently Nlite does a kick a** job of integrating updates individually, so it's more suited to one's system.

If the maker of the update pack would either delete IE6 updates, or start using IE7 updates, it might be the better alternative. As it is now, it aint, imho.

I don't include IE7 because not everybody wants it. nLite still does a kickass job of integrating it on top of my pack though, even with the two IE6 updates that I include. ;)

I don't mean to steal Kurt's thunder, but my pack was brought up...

You have some great stuff here, Kurt. :)

Edited by 5eraph, 29 June 2008 - 05:29 PM.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
JohnHC:
If you're running WPI, that will definitely cause a conflict with the shutdown command at the end of Run1_XP-64.bat. I'm going to assume that WPI is kicked off by GUI RunOnce, which is executed after the shutdown command is issued.

One thing you could try is renaming WPI.hta to R2WPI.hta and add this to line to Run2_XP-64.bat [WPI\R2WPI.hta]. Obviously you'll have to activate the SchTasks line as indicated, be sure to move all security software (esp Comodo) installs after WPI.

5eraph:
No offense taken, if your pack had existed before I wrote this guide, I probably wouldn't have bothered. Similarly when I wrote my guide for W2K, OnePiece's pack didn't exist either. At the time there was no real alternative option.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,365 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
Kurt,
I've never had any conflict with your procedure and WPI. Before I removed the shutdown in your process, WPI always ran after your reboot and worked fine. Since I removed your reboot, after your process finishes, the 'Personalizations..' run, then WPI comes up and runs fine. The reboot I have at the end of my WPI installs waits for the last one to finish, then starts the reboot. There are no terminated processes and I have not seen the missing Quick Launch folder.
If I haven't mentioned before, I am creating a user account (with Administrator privileges) with nLite and that account is what is running for your process and WPI.

BTW, I am glad you did create this procedure. I especially like that I can install VMware Tools early but also like the flexibility that comes with your hotfix procedure. I really am not too crazy about turning this over to someone else to make the decisions. Thanks again for creating it and your continued support.

Enjoy, John.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06
I would just like to add that i like this approach Kurt has, and as i always used anyway before i came across it , the single hotfixes integration i mean instead of packs.

The pack is nice tho, but sometimes i am doing installs without IE at all, then it becomes excessive baggage, as i have my presets and similar, that keeps the install IE free, as close as anyway.

Imho the pack would be better off, if IE and outlook f.ex updates were in a separate pack/s.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06
I just got word from developers of punkbuster that future version of punkbuster installer will not show error messages is previouvly here mentioned was shown if windows firewall was removed, even if installer is launched with no prompts/no display command lines. Basically this just made my day. Hopefully new version will be released soon.

This just goes to show that telling people what doesnt work/or dislike etc, can sometimes actually be done something about.
Total silent windows install with everything ready on first login? Yes thank you very much.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,365 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
Kurt,
You may know about this, but I have found an audio driver that is suppose to work for 64 bit Guests. I attach one I found on the VMware web site and a signed one I found via Google. I have been trying to run VMware Server 2.0RC1. It should have an audio(VMaudio) driver as part of VMware Tools64, but the audio fails to install when the tools install. I tried these drivers on my VM and have no luck so far - still 'no audio device'. I have an open thread on the VMware forum and if I don't learn something soon, I will try integrating the signed VMaudio driver and see if that works.

This driver is listed to work on versions 1.0.4, 1.0.5 and 1.0.6. If you give it a try and are able to get audio to work, please let me know how you do it.

Enjoy, John

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
July updates

Deletions:
Hotfix\290-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB941644-x64-ENU.exe
Hotfix\350-Windows-en-US-KB943729-x64_b9de932f286c62685fed238462a38d734b36ff18.exe

Modifications:
Move (& rename) RunOnce\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB951376-x64-ENU.exe to Hotfix\415-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB951376-x64-ENU.exe

Delete the \DirectX_9c folder, instead place the unextracted redistributable at \RunOnce
Moved Windows Defender to \AddOns (not in the same class as .Net et al)

Additions (at \Hotfix):
@ 430-Windows-en-US-KB943729.exe [890,936] Optional, Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions, updated version
@ 440-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB951748-x64-ENU.exe [5,106,736]

Important change at step 7 of the process, the RunOnce file should now be (no more "pause"):
TimeOut /T 40
CMD /R %Source%Run1_XP-64.bat

Application support (\AddOns):
Added
Opera
Orbit Downloader
Tweak UI x64 extracted (installed) if 7-zip present

Modified
Rewrote ChOwn*.bat files & created links for easier usage
Do NOT extract VMware tools, just copy windows.iso to \AddOns (again needing 7-zip)

Removed Azureus (they've blocked the silent install switch in the latest version)

JohnHC:
As I understand it VMware server does not emulate audio hardware, so I don't think any driver will help.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,365 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
Kurt,
I am now listening to Internet radio on my 64 bit guest and I think you can also! Look in your .vmx file (VM not running) and change your virtual device as follows:
sound.virtualDev = "es1371"
Mine originally said sb16 instead of es1371. That should cause you to show a sound adapter (enable it in guest configuration) in Device Manager. Install one of the drivers I posted and see what happens - good luck! I am running 2.0.0RC1 and VMware Tools contain the driver for me.

Thanks for the July update. I guess you know nuhi fixed the KB951376 integration problem in nLite 1.4.7. I tried it last week and it seems to work fine.

I have not looked through all you updates and will soon. Good idea on the VMware Tools not needing extracting. I noticed for RC1, they have separated 32 and 64 bit items (e.g. VMware Tools64.msi) in the .iso. I extracted it and deleted all that I could identify that I thought I did not need, then 7-ZIPped it to about 16 MB. The ADDLOCAL=ALL switch causes a problem (failure to register DLL) so I use only '/i <file name> /qn /norestart' which seems to work fine.

Have fun with your sound, but please let me know if it doesn't work.

John

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
JohnHC:
No such line exists in my .vmx file, but then I'm running v1.0.5 rather than v2rc1

Added a note in the applications section that K-Lite Mega Codec pack 4.00 has a regression bug that breaks silent install, use v3.95 instead.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,365 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
Kurt,
If you want sound, you should have the following code in your .vmx file:
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

You should also have the audio adapter enabled in your VM configuration. Perhaps the code is not present if not enabled.
I had all these lines in versions 1.0.x, it is not a function of RC1.

Enjoy, John.

knifesk

knifesk
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 26-March 07

I don't include IE7 because not everybody wants it. nLite still does a kickass job of integrating it on top of my pack though, even with the two IE6 updates that I include. ;)

I don't mean to steal Kurt's thunder, but my pack was brought up...

You have some great stuff here, Kurt. :)

you should... IE6 have's too many W3C DOM incompatibilities.. IE6 should be deleted from every computer in the world (well IE7 should too, but we're not discussing that here :P)

And IE6 isn't secure at all... I can tell you as a web developer...

oh... btw, good work Kurt! this guide simplified my life a lot :P

Cheers!

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,180 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

I had to add the hardware to my configuration in VMware Server 1.0.6, but it does work with either of the drivers given by johnhc. And nLite will slipstream the signed driver without difficulty. :)

Attached File  VMware_Audio.png   22.2KB   15 downloads

BTW, I met you halfway, TranceEnergy, by removing the IE6 updates due to a confilct when slipstreaming IE7 with nLite.

Why should I include IE7 when nLite does the job perfectly, knifesk? If I can't do it better then there's no point trying. ;)

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06

I had to add the hardware to my configuration in VMware Server 1.0.6, but it does work with either of the drivers given by johnhc. And nLite will slipstream the signed driver without difficulty. :)

Attached File  VMware_Audio.png   22.2KB   15 downloads

BTW, I met you halfway, TranceEnergy, by removing the IE6 updates due to a confilct when slipstreaming IE7 with nLite.

Why should I include IE7 when nLite does the job perfectly, knifesk? If I can't do it better then there's no point trying. ;)

I found one thing interesting, the microsoft usb port drivers. As far as i could see it was only 2003 versions updated, but ANYWAY, if that is indeed updated usb drivers that also work perfect for xp x64, it should be permanently
included. I didnt found any download atm.

The version of usbport.sys i have is 5.2.3790.3959 and in that fix (copy&paste)

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, x64-based versions
File name File version File size Date Time Platform SP requirement
Usbehci.sys 5.2.3790.4189 52,224 14-Nov-2007 14:30 x64 SP2
Usbohci.sys 5.2.3790.4189 26,880 14-Nov-2007 14:31 x64 SP2
Usbport.sys 5.2.3790.4189 214,016 14-Nov-2007 14:31 x64 SP2
Usbuhci.sys 5.2.3790.4189 32,896 14-Nov-2007 14:31 x64 SP2

I have however never had a problem with black screen etc when turning off pc, that i know of.

Anyway, i totally like having drivers updated.

Let's get down on this driver and test it in any case, if this does work or not. Looking forward to this.

Edit: just got it downloaded, and installed. Had to go through that e-mail me hotfix ordeal. Works great. The driver is about 1kb larger.
Now for some further testing =D

Edited by TranceEnergy, 15 July 2008 - 02:02 PM.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06
Kurt :

Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) x64
Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) (32bit version)
I'm going to take the x64 version only, and do a real reinstall today i think. Would want 8.7 official ati drivers but it will have to be done later.

Also:

As you may or may not be aware of, there has been announced new ATI driver support for PHYSX, more or less OpenPHYSX, or such.
It is currently boosting benchmarks, and there is no need for a dedicated physx card in computer.

I dont know how it is going to be released officially yet, but hoping it will be driver integration, but in the option it doesnt, a installer program, i'm hoping you may considering at least trying it out.
Free performance benefits is a winner in my book.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06
Okay, more double posting, seeing as everyone is on vacation atm and i am a sucker for attention =).

I went through all of the optional/misc updates 5eraph had on his list, and i found some very interesting things.

A picture says it all.....
Attached File  winx64_misc_updates.png   9.99KB   14 downloads

Also i found some things that used drivers from Vista x64, which i already knew was possible (using ATI Serial ATA native driver f.ex from vista64 works great in xp x64), but best:
New Kernel version.

Even though these updates are only updating minor things specifically, chances are they are made with updated libraries or what not.
I have installed every gawdamn last one of these manually, and had no problems.
Going to do a real nlite install now that i have this out of the way.

But not quite sure what order to do it all in, i will probably just throw them all in there at once, for now, my current install is broken due to one too many new hardware installs (new mobo/gfx etc).

Have fun =)

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
Not holidays exactly, if it was I'd have some time. I mean to have an in depth look at the extras in 5eraph's pack when I get the chance, not sure when that will be though.

I don't include the Malicious Software Removal Tool for 2 reasons:
1. If you're going to run it, do so after you've installed all your applications, if not then just ignore it.
2. By virtue of showing up when you check for updates, it proves that the Windows Update service is working correctly.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06

Not holidays exactly, if it was I'd have some time. I mean to have an in depth look at the extras in 5eraph's pack when I get the chance, not sure when that will be though.

I don't include the Malicious Software Removal Tool for 2 reasons:
1. If you're going to run it, do so after you've installed all your applications, if not then just ignore it.
2. By virtue of showing up when you check for updates, it proves that the Windows Update service is working correctly.

Wise words as always.

I also just noticed you have skipped using x86 version of Visual c++. Can i ask why?
I am going to try the same, only with the 2008 version instead.

I'm having a bit of an annoyance, which i need a registry fix of sorts for. It's been bugging me for months but never to severe to the point i actually started doing research until i had a solution, i intend to change that now.:

Everytime i check for windows updates/ OR go to device manager, its a yellow icon, for the Microsoft UAA bus driver for High Definition Audio.
Have googled in the past but obviously didnt find any resolution.
And if i DO download the actual driver for it, there are no drivers for it for x64 (it was already included way back in sp2, or perhaps it came with x64 cd, doesnt matter tho),
It only updates whatever registry key so there are no missing driver in WU and no yellow icon in device mgr.
Im going to check the driver itself.

edit: Glad to see you around Kurt =)

Also:

Why bot .Net 2.0+sp1 pack and also .net 3.5?
Why not just 3.5? (edit: i see in the reference assemblies folder, there are only 3.0 and 3.5 folders, no 2.0-hm...)

i reckon you keep both entries there, but at least you should REM one of them.

Edited by TranceEnergy, 22 July 2008 - 09:06 AM.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06
Punkbuster Services program has been SILENTLY updated, and now runs silently.
For all you gamers:

echo Installing Punkbuster,New update 24july 2008 (download date).
%Source%Silence\pbsvc.exe /i --no-prompts --i-accept-the-pb-eula
It WILL pop up the installation gui, but you dont have to click or anything, it will shutdown by itself.
I tested this with uninstalling PB, had FW disabled/stopped, then i launched the install with parameters here shown. Worked perfectly.

Kurt:

I tried installing .dot net 3.5 and the 120 seconds timer was not enough for the program to finish it's optimizations, ie go idle, it kept at 50% cpu usage, till 120 seconds ran out.
I'm thinking it might need a good 3 minutes and 30 seconds or so. I'm going to test 2.0 now, and clock down how long the install takes, real install as always.
Stopped using Vm a while back now.

Edited by TranceEnergy, 24 July 2008 - 12:57 AM.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07

I also just noticed you have skipped using x86 version of Visual c++. Can i ask why?
I am going to try the same, only with the 2008 version instead.

Simply because one of the Application AddOns (K-Lite codec x64) requires the x64 version, pretty petty really.
Note that C++ 2008 is NOT cumulative with C++ 2005.

Why bot .Net 2.0+sp1 pack and also .net 3.5?
Why not just 3.5? (edit: i see in the reference assemblies folder, there are only 3.0 and 3.5 folders, no 2.0-hm...)

i reckon you keep both entries there, but at least you should REM one of them.

Huh? The instructions state either .Net 3.5 or .Net 2.0, one will be installed, the missing one will generate a "File not found" error. If for some insane reason one puts both installers there then the effect will be the same as if just the .Net 3.5 installer was included.

I tried installing .dot net 3.5 and the 120 seconds timer was not enough for the program to finish it's optimizations, ie go idle, it kept at 50% cpu usage, till 120 seconds ran out.
I'm thinking it might need a good 3 minutes and 30 seconds or so. I'm going to test 2.0 now, and clock down how long the install takes, real install as always.
Stopped using Vm a while back now.

.Net 3.5 should be fully installed before the 2 minute countdown even starts. I got the 2 minutes by timing my VM install, initially I had it set for 5 minutes and I watched how long it took for the USB-HDD I have my VM on to settle down. A real system should be at least as fast as my VM (ML-34 Turion, 1GB Real RAM, 384MB Virtual RAM & Virtual 16GB HDD on a USB-HDD).

Now back to playing with my new Meccano set.

Edited by Kurt_Aust, 24 July 2008 - 06:37 AM.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06
Okay thanks for answearing!

1: Question : Ok so i have to install both 2005 and 2008 of x64? Can do. Fact that i dont need to have x86 versions is great.
I have done a few installs now with only 2008 x64, and for SOME reason it unpacks file to root of one of my partitions.
Im running it with /Q parameter only. This didnt happen when i installed all 4 versions. Weird, but i guess it must be something else that is messed up. Doesnt seem logical.
edit: update: I have done a few more tests, and even when trying to make 2008x64 silent by making it install through winrar SFX and telling it to extract to temporary folder, it still extracts to largest free space partition.
Total mess. 2005x64 works great. I have a fix for that msdia80.dll btw, v9 beta is with 2008x64. Which says it all for me atm. Im hoping it will get updated, i dont know what has triggered these actions, but i guess i can live without 2008 version.

However, i have removed much with nlite, and i am using a somewhat modified version of your approach.
I dont include the Run2 batch file system, simply just 1 file. Have left shutdown off, so i manually restart for the time being.

On your hardware. Memory that you selected are overpriced here, Mushkin has cheaper 1000mhz ddr2, that i know of.
Also Samsung F1 1TB performance/price is very nice. Even beats ES drives. Also, they are silent.

If you're not gaming at all, i would choose a passively cooled graphics card, or better, a decent mobo with good internal graphics. F.ex upcoming amd am2 780/790-GX.
Better performance then fast 6600GT OC/7300GT (I have a 7300GT and its more then enough for any day 2 day task+ its dead silent). Around 2500 3dmark06 performance, roughly 4k 3dmark05.
Having said that, benchmarks mean squat to real world gaming performance (cpu to pci latency is the secret king), but i dont want to go more off topic then i already have, sorry.
I have been building computers since i was 5, if i knew more about the purpose i would be happy to point of a few things, if you're interested.

Edited by TranceEnergy, 24 July 2008 - 12:32 PM.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
Added details on 5eraph's update pack.

TranceEnergy:
The Visual C++ 2008 runtimes seem to be a bit of a "dog's breakfast" as detailed here.

[OT Alert] On the hardware front, that memory is relatively well priced here, besides as I picked up the hardware on the way home from work on Wednesday advice will have to wait for next time.

Building computers since you were 5? These young whipper-snappers, I remember when real computers had 16K RAM (TRS-80) and for a memory expansion you inserted individual ICs into the motherboard (I upgraded to 48K :thumbup). $650 was a lot of pocket money back in the early 80s. Still you were able to build your own hardware expansions, I added a joystick (wired directly into the keyboard matrix).

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06
I actually have made a batch file that tries to move the msdia80.dll from all partitions to its C:\PF\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VC folder. (vb2005)
I'm a bit confused atm. Can't think in this summer heat. Thank you for the link, i might try this on next install!

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,365 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
Kurt,
Are you considering direct integration of WMP11 on the next update? I have tried it and it seems to work fine. I just placed the WMP11 file followed by the four updates ahead of the other hot fixes. nLite (1.4.8) calls WMP11 Slipstreamer (copy on my machine) and processes the WMP11 file but not the hot fixes.

Do you think we need to include the latest MSI for integration?
Thanks, John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users