HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

February updates:

Deletions

Hotfix\170-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB921503-x64-ENU.exe

Hotfix\270-IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB942615-x64-ENU.exe

Move (and rename) Hotfix\280-WindowsMedia11-KB941569-x64-ENU.exe to WMP11\WindowsMedia11-KB941569-x64-ENU.exe

Additions:

310-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB942830-x64-ENU.exe [1,399,856]

320-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB942831-x64-ENU.exe [857,648]

330-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB946026-x64-ENU.exe [827,952]

340-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB943055-x64-ENU.exe [1,928,752]

350-IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB944533-x64-ENU.exe [37,179,440] Direct link to .exe

Also be sure to read the changelog (post2) for options relating to the WMP11 slipstreamer with limited accounts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kurt_Aust and thanks a million for this how-to.

I have a question that might seem stupid, but I see that the updates in the \Hotfix folder start and 020-Win*, do we have to download previous updates (ie from 001 to 019) or are these superseded?

Thanks again for your effort and best regards

GB

I have a question that might seem stupid, but I see that the updates in the \Hotfix folder start and 020-Win*, do we have to download previous updates (ie from 001 to 019) or are these superseded?

There are (to the best of my knowledge) no Microsoft updates that start with such a number, the names displayed in the download list are the result of commands like the following:

Rename ..\Hotfix\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB*-x64-ENU.exe xxx-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB*-x64-ENU.exe

Files in the .7z archive and the torr-ent <<[and how can that be flagged as a swear word?] have already been renamed, running UpdatePrep.bat will rename any you downloaded.

The only purpose of the leading number is to ensure that they are integrated in the same order that Windows Update would install them and even of those, only having IE7 first seems to be absolutely critical.

The update list in the first post is current for the month mentioned (currently Feb 07).

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt_Aust,

Thanks so much for your tutorial. It is a great tool. Being new to slipstreaming, I have used it for educational purposes. I have built several trials, testing various options and tasks and learning a lot. I have also had great fun!

I do have some questions:

1.Found a reference to Run1_W2Ksp5.bat.

2.Is it OK to just leave files I don't want out of addons or must I also remove them from the .bat?

3.I have two registry updates I want to include (IE7 search engines and home page). One is a single command I found on the forum and the other is an .reg file I exported from my current registry. How do I include these – put them into the .bat somehow?

4.Can I place files into My Documents (e.g. CPU-Z and SuperPi) of a created user? Perhaps this would require the second pass.

5.Is it a bad idea to include a FW (Comodo)? Would a second pass make this active? - avast! also?

6.I see you have included Flash but not Shockwave or other players. Is there any problem with others? I looked at the shockwave site and found the switches needed and also found that there is both an .msi and .exe installer. Is there an installer type preference? Where in general do you find the switches for installers?

7.I don't understand the reason for the optional second pass.

8.I see you have specified Fully Automaticic. Will the Repair (reinstall) option be available?

Thanks much for a great tool and any help you can give me.........John

1.Found a reference to Run1_W2Ksp5.bat.

2.Is it OK to just leave files I don't want out of addons or must I also remove them from the .bat?

3.I have two registry updates I want to include (IE7 search engines and home page). One is a single command I found on the forum and the other is an .reg file I exported from my current registry. How do I include these – put them into the .bat somehow?

4.Can I place files into My Documents (e.g. CPU-Z and SuperPi) of a created user? Perhaps this would require the second pass.

5.Is it a bad idea to include a FW (Comodo)? Would a second pass make this active? - avast! also?

6.I see you have included Flash but not Shockwave or other players. Is there any problem with others? I looked at the shockwave site and found the switches needed and also found that there is both an .msi and .exe installer. Is there an installer type preference? Where in general do you find the switches for installers?

7.I don't understand the reason for the optional second pass.

8.I see you have specified Fully Automaticic. Will the Repair (reinstall) option be available?

1. Run1_W2Ksp5.bat is from my similar guide for Windows 2000, but I see that in a moment of absent-mindedness I've used that name instead of Run1_XP-64.bat

2. The batch files are written so that if an optional application is not found at \AddOns, they will display "The command ***.exe does not refer to ..." (i.e. file not found) and skip on to the next command. Note that as %Source% returns a blank string if not set, one can block copy sections from Run1_XP-64.bat to Run2_XP-64.bat if so desired.

3. To include a .reg file use a command like that for Key.AnyDVD [if exist %Source%AddOns\Key.AnyDVD Regedit /S %Source%AddOns\Key.AnyDVD], replacing Key.AnyDVD with MySetting.reg. The "If exist %Source%AddOns\Key.AnyDVD" part of the command is not really necessary, but if you execute "Regedit /S %Source%AddOns\Key.AnyDVD" and the reg file isn't found the installation will halt with an error message.

4. I'm not really sure about this one, you could certainly put it in the shared documents. But as the account settings for new accounts are not actually created until that new account is logged into, I'm not sure if it will work (I'll test if I remember tomorrow).

5. Comodo is a good firewall (Defense+ annoying as all hell though), but the silent install switch "-s" doesn't work (crashes the installer). Avast will be active on user logon if the installer is placed at \AddOns.

6. There is no problem as far as I know with Shockwave, it's just that I don't use it. Some things just don't work, for example Opera will install with the switches "/S /V/Passive" but doesn't create a start menu icon. I've tried to include a selection of common software that will produce a system that is pretty much ready to go "out of the box". In general I prefer to use .msi installers, but only because there are generally more options and they are easier to understand, for a good example take a look at the .exe and .msi installers for Open Office. For switches search the Application installs forum here at MSFN, extract some of the addons created by others and read the entries file (Rado354's are good for this), read the originating website for that software, google it [software.exe "Silent Install"] and if all else fails, trial and error. If you read through Run1_XP-64.bat, you will see that there are several common sets of silent install switches.

7. In most cases there is no need for a second pass. But if for example you had some software that needed say .Net already installed before it could be installed, then that application would have to be installed in a second pass.

8. As the repair option appears in the textmode section of installation (before it goes into fully automatic mode), it should be available.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

Wow, Kurt_Aust, Thanks for the detailed response! It will take me some time to digest it all and I have some time since I am planning on an upgrade but am waiting for AMD to get their game together.

I did forget to ask one question:

I noticed you do not include any component removals. I did a trial with nuhi's Safe preset and looked at the removals. They seem mostly reasonable with only a few I would modify. He also suggests that the drivers be removed that are being installed in the build.

Thanks again - Great Job!

John

March updates:

New version of the DirectX redistributable (Mar 08), extract it to \DirectX_9c [67,196,968] Direct link to .exe

MD5: E1E85376D4F03072B99FF0E9ED5DDE36

SHA1: 21AA91CA8E0CBB5FBB986F47A1CCDAD5D2984CAE

No other hotfix changes (so no change in the torent or 7-zip package either).

Added support for a few more applications and latest codec pack versions:

CDBurnerXP

Picasa

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

QuickTime Alternative lite

See here if you want to create your own config files

K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit Requires C++ runtime

Orbit Downloader

Johnhc:

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to place files into "My Documents" of a created user. As I suspected if you create the folder and copy the files there prior to account initialization, Windows decides that the directory structure belongs to a deleted account and creates a new user account directory structure with a modified name. You might be able to do it if you log into the desired account on first boot (when .Net et al is installed) rather than the administrator account (would obviously have to be administrator class) and then copy the files (probably safest to do on 2nd pass).

I didn't include information on component removals for a couple of reasons, firstly it's not the objective of this topic, secondly I couldn't reliably test all possible combinations and points of failure.

Hi all,

:D In addition to this guide I want to add a few things. I use those to make my X64-CD even more up2date. :D

KB890830 (Malicious Software Removal Tool)

Use /Q to install silent (T13 ready).

DirectX_march08_x64_redist (switchless SFX installer with only x64 CABs)

size = 38,9mb, md5 = a112fadb6b527f9e1f1de23b375424eb

download here

NET20SP1_x64 ( repacked switchless SFX with T-13 ready )

size = 46,8mb, md5 = 19dd772d6cddced9b246a8e99dad3a7e

download here

Windows Update Client X64 ( repacked switchless SFX installer )

size = 7.69mb, md5 = 5372304f21699279fefe3df163e984e4

download here

I also tried to make an SFX covering the issues in this topic but I failed with that one. :(

* Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool ActiveX Control - KB892130 (LegitCheckControl.cab)

* Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool ActiveX Control (OGAControl.cab)

* Windows Update ActiveX Control (wuweb_site.cab)

* Microsoft Update ActiveX Control (muweb_site.cab)

* Office Update Installation Engine ActiveX Control (opuc4.cab)

* Microsoft Update Catalog ActiveX Control (MuCatalogWebControl.cab)

Well I hope you guys can use these files :) for your x64 disc

HJW

Updated DirectX

HJW, getting the famous 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' on all your 'download here' links.

I do not understand what your SFX installers are except you have extracted the original, stripped out unnecessary stuff and repacked into self extracting. I know about DirectX (about half the size) but don't understand the other two.

Thanks, John

HJW, getting the famous 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' on all your 'download here' links.

I do not understand what your SFX installers are except you have extracted the original, stripped out unnecessary stuff and repacked into self extracting. I know about DirectX (about half the size) but don't understand the other two.

Thanks, John

Links are fully working here (firefox) http://vistapacks.siginetsoftware.com/files/X64-PostSP2/

SelfExtractingInstallers , just run the file and the rest will be done automatically.

HJW,

I see several interesting things in your three 'download here' links. I did a Copy Shortcut and Paste into my IE7 address bar and saw an extra '/' (%2f) after the http on each. I removed one and they all work. Sizes you specify in the post do not agree on two:

1)38.9MB should be 41.9

2)46.8MB should be 48.6

3)OK

I don't know why your links work and mine don't - other links work for me including your Removal Tool one. Perhaps you have an old copy in your browser cache or Firefox does not care or strips the extra slash.

Enjoy............John