I managed to get my system to work with 1536 MB.
I am loading XMSDSK from config.sys, using INSTALL=E:\UTIL\XMSDSK.EXE 292992 N: /c1 /t /y
So, here are my initial results (using MaxFileCache=65535):
>= 48D00 -> "Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows"
= 48C00 (1164 MB) works, but Win 98SE sees only 1162 MB. It is the absolute maximum that works.
= 48B00 (1163 MB) works, but Win 98SE sees only 1161 MB.
These two configurations above sometimes start OK, sometimes throw "Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows".
= 48A00 (1162 MB) works, but Win 98SE sees only 1160 MB;
= 48900 (1161 MB) works, but Win 98SE sees only 1159 MB;
= 48899 (1161 MB) works, but Win 98SE sees only 1159 MB;
= 48800 (1160 MB) works, but Win 98SE sees only 1158 MB.
I stopped here and am testing the stability of this configuration. * If I set MaxFileCache=131072, it starts, but I get "There is not enough memory available to run this program" at some point, even with cpu-z.
And if I set MaxFileCache=262144, I just get "Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows" and the system simply doesn't start at all.
Added 18th October 2007 - 06:40 PM:
* My stability tests on the 1158 MB show that it is stable, at least for 8h. So I reduced some more the value of MaxPhysPage
, in order to find the highest value that windows accepted without displaying that strange behaviour of detecting the requested value minus
2 MB (which is a bug I never had read about before!).
= 48600 (1158 MB) works, but Win 98SE sees only 1156 MB;
The above is the smallest value with which windows still detects the requested value minus
So, the setting below is the maximum that behaves as expected. I'm using it now (1157 MB).
= 48500 (1157 MB) works, and Win 98SE sees all 1157 MB;
= 48400 (1156 MB) works, and Win 98SE sees all 1156 MB.
More later. HTH.
Added 22nd October 2007 - 05:33 AM:
Sorry, sorry, everybody!
I made a mess of this post when I wrote it and it eluded me up to now! I fell victim of the "paste bug" and pasted MaxFileCache where I should have written MaxPhysPage
, meaning to modify it, and just forgot to do it.
Now it is as it should be. Sorry!
BTW, I'm presently using MaxPhysPage
= 48600 and MaxFileCache=98304, without any problems, for the last two days. I'll try again to raise MaxFileCache (yes, MaxFileCache!) a little more tomorrow...