Can't see second hard drive.

I pulled a hard drive with Windows XP off a second computer, thing is that its not being recognized by my current hard drive's OS (which is also XP). The BIOS shows me its there, but windows won't let me look through it.

In order to use it, I have to switch the connectors. Basically, I can only use one drive at a time. Windows won't let me look through both of them.

What can I do?

Edited by brucevangeorge

Does disk management see it?

If by Disk Management then you mean Device Manager, then yes.... its there, windows shows me the serial code and everything. I just can't access it.

Do I have to put one as slave and one as master? Or is it something else, windows sees that its there.

Also, it tells me that one is at ATA 0 (current one running) Primary Channel. The other is at ATA 1, Primary Channel.

I can even do a speed test from the nForce2 IDE controller through Device Manager.

Edited by brucevangeorge

It must be a partition problem then, MBR or so. Just back up the drive and delete all partitions and make new ones after a reboot...

This is not a hardware problem so I will move this topic to Windows XP ;).

If by Disk Management then you mean Device Manager, then yes.... its there, windows shows me the serial code and everything. I just can't access it.

Do I have to put one as slave and one as master? Or is it something else, windows sees that its there.

Also, it tells me that one is at ATA 0 (current one running) Primary Channel. The other is at ATA 1, Primary Channel.

I can even do a speed test from the nForce2 IDE controller through Device Manager.

Yes, you cannot have two masters on one IDE channel. That's probably why you can't access it. Honestly, it's impressive your computer even boots if they're both set to master. But what you said, it sounds like they're on different IDE channels. But then if this new hard drive is on and IDE channel with a CD-ROM, that could be your problem as well. But anyway, no matter what, you can only have one master per IDE channel. The other MUST be a slave.

And at puntoMX, if he indeed does have two masters on one channel, it very much is a hardware problem.

Yes, you cannot have two masters on one IDE channel. That's probably why you can't access it. Honestly, it's impressive your computer even boots if they're both set to master. But what you said, it sounds like they're on different IDE channels. But then if this new hard drive is on and IDE channel with a CD-ROM, that could be your problem as well. But anyway, no matter what, you can only have one master per IDE channel. The other MUST be a slave.

About that... in the Device manager, it says that one is master (ATA 0) and the other is slave (ATA 1).

I'm going to mess around with the jumpers manually. I haven't checked those yet. Just went by what the IDE Controller Driver is telling me.

And at puntoMX, if he indeed does have two masters on one channel, it very much is a hardware problem.

I'm not sure what it is. There is nothing wrong with the MBR on either drives. I can use them both as long as only one is plugged in at a time.

Shoot! I would have thought people would have checked the jumpers before posting but then I read this:

I'm going to mess around with the jumpers manually. I haven't checked those yet. Just went by what the IDE Controller Driver is telling me.

If by Disk Management then you mean Device Manager, then yes.... its there,

No he doesn't, he means Disk Management as in right-click "My Computer", choose "Manage" and then "Storage/Disk Management".

No he doesn't, he means Disk Management as in right-click "My Computer", choose "Manage" and then "Storage/Disk Management".

HAZAAA!!!!

All I had to do was go into disk management and assign it a drive letter. It was there, but it didn't have any label. Just an icon.

Thank you very much for the help guys. :thumbup :thumbup

Now I know what disk management is too. Never used it.

Edited by brucevangeorge