Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Photoshop 7.0 & 8.0 silent install

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Crispy

Crispy

Retired Yiffy Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 14-September 02
OK, I was just asked how to install Photoshop 7 silent and I realized that neither I was able to find a post about this anywhere. So here it is:

The first thing you need to do is locate you Photoshop install files and open the file called "Abcpy.ini" with notepad. You then need to edit the "OEM Installation Options" section:

[OEM Install]
DisplayWelcomeDlg=NO
DisplayEULA=NO
DisplayXPDialog=NO
DisplayTypeOfInstallDlg=NO
DisplaySelectDestDirDlg=NO
DisplayCustomDlg=NO
DisplayUserInfoDlg=NO
DisplayConfirmRegDlg=NO
DisplayStartCopyDlg=NO
DisplayFinishDlg=NO
DisplayFinalMessage=NO
DisplayRebootDlg=NO
ProgGroupName=
DefaultDestDir=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop
UserName=Gates
UserCompanyName=Microsoft
UserSerialNumber=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
DisplayBackGround=NO
DisplayProgressBar=NO
ProgressBarStart=NO
ProgressBarEnd=NO

The interesting parts, if you want to do a completely siltent install without any dialogs, are only the Serial, Name, Company and Defaultdir, but if you change all the "display" values to "NO" you can also do a semi-silent install with the normal setup screens. It also makes a normal install from windows a hell of alot faster!

To do a slient install, set all "Display" option =NO and enter your details for Serial, Name, Company and Defaultdir. Please note that the serial must have the format:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and not XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

After having edited the file, you save it and run the Setup.exe without any switches :)

Hope you find this usefull :rolleyes:

=Crispy
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

maverick215

maverick215
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-October 03
You can similarly create an autoload for the update.
Make your own abcpy.ini file or extract it from one of the cabs (I forget which it is)
but here's a sample silent upgrade 7.0.1 abcpy.ini file.
;***************************************************************
;Adobe Installer Internal Configuration File

;Main Section. 
;The (Product) key is a required key for this configuration file.
[MAIN]
Product=Adobe Photosop

;OEM Installation Options
[OEM Install]
DisplayWelcomeDlg=NO
DisplayEULA=NO
DisplayReadmeInfoDlg=NO
DisplayBrowseDlg=NO
DisplayStartCopyDlg=NO
DisplayFinalMessage=NO
DisplayRebootDlg=NO

ProgGroupName=
DefaultDestDir=
DisplayBackGround=
DisplayProgressBar=
ProgressBarStart=
ProgressBarEnd=

[Patch]
DoBackup=NO
BackupFolder=
NumberOfPatches=2

Patch1Platform=ALL
Patch1Name=PSPATCH.RTP
Patch1DisplayName=Photoshop 7.0
Patch1Dest=$AppPath
Patch1IgnoreMissingFile=YES
Patch1IgnoreErr=YES

Patch2Platform=ALL
Patch2Name=IRPATCH.RTP
Patch2DisplayName=ImageReady 7.0
Patch2Dest=$AppPath
Patch2IgnoreMissingFile=YES
Patch2IgnoreErr=YES

mmarable

mmarable

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Joined 01-November 03
I try this and the -S doesn't work for me. I can see the setup.exe start in Task Manager, but then it shuts down. If I run setup alone, it run through the install without problem.

I don't get it. :/
"There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain." - Plato
"Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is." - Vince Lombardi - "If you wait, all that happens is that you get older." - Mario Andretti
"Do it no matter what. If you believe in it, it is something very honorable. If somebody around you or your family does not understand it, then that's their problem. But if you do have a passion, an honest passion, just do it." - Mario Andretti

valkyre

valkyre

• PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 05-September 03
Are you using the InstallShield ISS file method?

mmarable

mmarable

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Joined 01-November 03
No, I'm trying the method that Crispy listed.
"There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain." - Plato
"Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is." - Vince Lombardi - "If you wait, all that happens is that you get older." - Mario Andretti
"Do it no matter what. If you believe in it, it is something very honorable. If somebody around you or your family does not understand it, then that's their problem. But if you do have a passion, an honest passion, just do it." - Mario Andretti

aitf311

aitf311

• 37 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
Anyone know how to silently install Photoshop 8?

Crispy

Crispy

Retired Yiffy Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 14-September 02

Anyone know how to silently install Photoshop 8?

Its basicly the same way. The below Abcpy.ini is configured in almost the same manner. The default install folder is \Program files\Adobe\Photoshop CS. To do a completely silent install you need to use a setup.iss file too. To get this file run setup.exe -R (case sensitive). Click cancel on the activation. Then go into your windows folder and take the SETUP.ISS file and copy it in your photoshop CS install dir (replace the one in it). You can now run the Photoshop setup.exe using the -R switch to do a completely silent install. :) (Thx neoh)

[OEM Install]
DisplayWelcomeDlg=NO
DisplayEULA=NO
DisplayXPDialog=NO
DisplayTypeOfInstallDlg=NO
DisplaySelectDestDirDlg=NO
DisplayCustomDlg=NO
DisplayUserInfoDlg=NO
DisplayConfirmRegDlg=NO
DisplayStartCopyDlg=NO
DisplayFinishDlg=NO
DisplayFinalMessage=NO
DisplayRebootDlg=NO
DisplayBackGround=NO
ProgGroupName=
DefaultDestDir=
FName=XXXX
LName=XXXX
MI=
UserCompanyName=XXXXXXXX
UserSerialNumber=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
DisplayBackGround=NO
DisplayProgressBar=NO
ProgressBarStart=NO
ProgressBarEnd=NO
Note: "DisplayBackGround" is not there by defualt, so you need to add it manually if you want to use it.
Posted Image

tapnet

tapnet

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 18-July 03
How to bypass the activation so i can activate when I open application?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Up and Down and UP and down and Up...

Cyber Axe

Cyber Axe

Geek

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 13-December 03
is it possible to tell photoshop not to install the component that adds the photoshop tab to image properties and changes icons of images to thumbnails?

pmcx9

pmcx9

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Joined 07-September 03
Further to tapnets question;

has anyone worked out how to prevent the activation from appearing at all rather than using PSkill.

I have established that if you copy over the following files from a previously activated install then it will allow it to open the following time as though activated;

emu.dll
AdobeLM.dll
Tw10122.dat
dell inspiron6000,PentM1.73,1024meg ram,60gig 5400rpm disk,8xdvdrw,x300

Crispy

Crispy

Retired Yiffy Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 14-September 02
I just noticed: (At least) Photoshop CS has an OEM install mechanism. It works like this: Make a folder called "OEM_" in the setup file folder. Anything placed in that folder will be copied into the main photoshop dir before install. That means that you could preinstall, for example, plugins by placing them in \OEM_\Plug-ins\

:)
Posted Image

Neoh

Neoh
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 02-March 04
I had the same problem with photoshop CS, and you can't use the taskkill.exe since the activation pop-up is in the setup.exe process so the wait will wait for ever and never kill that thing... the only way around is using the setup.ISS file.
quick how to: (to do with photoshop CS not installed and reg on the machine)
fill the ini file as mentioned earlier in the thread
run setup.exe -R (case sensitive)
click cancel on the activation
go into your windows folder and take the SETUP.ISS file and copy it in your photoshop CS install dir (replace the one in it)
now you can use setup.exe -S to install it without any prompt or activation crap
I'll quit fearing Airplane travel when people will stop applauding the pilot on landings

djt_

djt_
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 28-February 04
To install silent and activate .. here's how .. (it's work for me so make sure u test it before burn to cd)

prep ..
1. install photoshop as normal and activate it
2. copy "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Macrovision\" to a temp folder
3. export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\ALM" in registry
You must successful activate for this to work

install ..
1. copy "Macrovision" to "All Users\Application Data\" folder
2. then import the saved registry file
3. change your Abcpy.ini like in the above post and run setup.exe

willpantin

willpantin

• PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Joined 20-September 03
I own the full Adobe Creative Suite Premium, and am wondering 2 questions:

1. The installation requires the use of 2 CDs; if I place all their files in one directory, will it install fine unnattended, off a DVD?

2. Should I use a combination of Neoh's and djt_'s methods?

Thanks! :)

TeT_TaT

TeT_TaT

• 45 posts
  • Joined 05-March 04
Thank u

i have already Knew about it >>
by the way

u can use this idea in some other product from Adobe
Never forget where you came from;
some day you might haveto go back

thedogcow

thedogcow

• 12 posts
  • Joined 19-March 04
Hi I made a setup.iss using the -R switch, and changed all the dialogs to "NO" in the Abcpy.ini. From my hard drive i can run the setup.exe for photoshop cs with the /S for a totally silent install which doesn't even show the activation, however when i run it from cd it just quits... Anyone else noticed this???

All the log file contains is:

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v7.00
File=Log File
[ResponseResult]
ResultCode=0

and yes i did use the f2 switch to save the log to c: :)

Edited by thedogcow, 21 March 2004 - 07:31 AM.

thedogcow

thedogcow

• 12 posts
  • Joined 19-March 04
OK I figured out how to get this photoshop 8 working perfectly.

Install with -R switch IMPORTANT click cancel when u get to activation
put the setup.iss in the setup folder
edit the Abcpy.ini to display NO dialogs
then run setup.exe /s /sms /f2c:\Photoshop.log

Result is NO ACTIVATION POPUP during install

you could also copy the activation files over for a totally silent install :)

crehren

crehren
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 20-March 04

I own the full Adobe Creative Suite Premium, and am wondering 2 questions:

1. The installation requires the use of 2 CDs; if I place all their files in one directory, will it install fine unnattended, off a DVD?

2. Should I use a combination of Neoh's and djt_'s methods?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

To install from a DVD copy the contents of both CD's to the same directory on the DVD. Then remove the entry "Launch1ChangeDir=$Source\Disk1" for the section "[Launches]" from every Abcpy.ini folder. Works for me. :)

willpantin

willpantin

• PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Joined 20-September 03
Anyone successfully install the full "Adobe Creative Suite CS Premium" Unattended?

I have followed some of the tips here. Extracted CD1 and CD2 to a folder on my hard-drive, changed all entries to "NO" on the ABCPY.INI files, and inserted my registration info as well.

But, as luck will have it, my MS Virtual PC 2004 demo copy has expired, and I ran out of DVD's to burn and test. I plan on buying a copy of Virtual PC, and more DVD-R discs, of course...

In the meantime, some questions:

1. Any good entries to skip the activation step? Or at least automate it?
djt_ suggested:

But, that key does not exist on my computer, which DOES have Creative Suite CS installed on it...!

2. Should I ignore the setup.exe file in the root folder, and install Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc one by one, using the setup.exe files in each one of their folders? (With newly generated setup.iss files)

3. I have a student edition. Any special considerations?

:)

PS. I will post my results the day I get my Virtual PC 2004 in the mail.

Skip

Skip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 30-May 04
So I understand I gotta download emu.dll to get rid of the activation popup, but could it work now if I already had my Photoshop 8.0 installed?

Or do I have to re-install everything and start all over again?

Ghost_one

Ghost_one
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 01-June 04

you could also copy the activation files over for a totally silent install

How do i do that????java script:emoticon(':)')

GillouStyle03

GillouStyle03

• 42 posts
  • Joined 17-June 04
This seems tough... Could someone sum up how to make it work? :-/

Ghost_one

Ghost_one
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 01-June 04
GillouStyle03 , i can make it to work but you will have to replace the 2 files at the end , that's what i was asking for!

hydex

hydex
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 27-June 04
I used the following stuff:
Edit the files as told above after that just make sure you use the syntax below:

%systemdrive%\install\Application\photoshop8\photoshop\setup.exe -R
%systemdrive%\windows\system32\xcopy.exe /Y /I %systemdrive%\install\Application\photoshop8\crack %systemdrive%"\program files\adobe\Photoshop CS"\

in the dir crack i put the files:

AdobeLM.dll
TW10122.dat

When you get the activication window just click cancel.

anybody know how to get rid of the @#$@# activication window?

identity

identity
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 16-May 04
To sum up:

Photoshop 7: Cripsy's way is the best one i know. Just edit the file "Abcpy.ini".

Photoshop 8: To get rid of the activation window, you'll have to create an iss file. Just start 'setup.exe -R', fill in all needed information and cancel the activation at the end. Copy the file setup.iss from your windows folder (normaly C:\Windows) to your installation folder. Now you have a complete silent install with 'setup.exe -s'.
You don't have to edit "Abcpy.ini" for Photoshop 8, but if you do, 'setup.exe -R' will be automated itself and less information will be saved in the iss file.

The files 'AdobeLM.dll' and 'Tw10122.dat' aren't changed during the activation process. People using these two files and additionally 'emu.dll', downloaded an illegal crack. To get rid of the activation process at all, you'll have to follow djt_'s post.

To install silent and activate .. here's how .. (it's work for me so make sure u test it before burn to cd)

prep ..
1. install photoshop as normal and activate it
2. copy "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Macrovision\" to a temp folder
You must successful activate for this to work

install ..
1. copy "Macrovision" to "All Users\Application Data\" folder
2. then import the saved registry file
3. change your Abcpy.ini like in the above post and run setup.exe

2 things:
  • the registry entries and the copied files, are the official activation files. That means, if you change your hardware, you may have to reactivate your software.
  • if you want you can activate Photoshop for all users on your computer. You'll have to import the registry values to:
    [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-yyyy\Software\ADOBE\ALM\B1E98000]
    S-1-5-21-x...x-x...x-x...x-yyyy is the sid number of a registered windows user. But pay attention: the x's change after every installation of windows, and the y's change for every user on the computer and you have to be an admin to do this.
    To find out the sid of a specific user, look at:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList]
Hope, this helped :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users