Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Vista Setup Screen Info?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

vegettoxp

vegettoxp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
Hey Guys, I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I was wonder when are we gona start a thread on Customizing Vista Setup Screen. If there is a thread already started, they I am sorry and an you point me to that thread. I wanted to Edit my Vista Setup Screen, but I don't know which files to edit. Also what software can I use to edit those DLL files. If you guys can give me a jump start, I might look for those files myself and share my findings with you guys. So if someone can comment to this topic, it would really help me get started.

THX :thumbup

P.S. Fusion :hello:
CM HAF 922 Case| Corsair 620HX Power Supply| Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 at 3.2GHz | Asus Maximus Formula SE Motherboard| 8GB G-Skills System Ram | Sapphire 5850 Graphic Card | Samsung 46" LCD TV (My Monitor) | Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E Sound-Card | 4 WD Hard-Drivers Total Storage 2.4TB | Logitech DiNovo Keyboard and Logitech MX Revolution Mouse| Logitech Z-5500 Digital Sound System | And So On...

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

neo

neo

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert Consumer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
w32uiimg.dll and w32uires.dll located at sources folder in Vista DVD

vegettoxp

vegettoxp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
And which program do I use Neo to edit these DLL Files.
CM HAF 922 Case| Corsair 620HX Power Supply| Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 at 3.2GHz | Asus Maximus Formula SE Motherboard| 8GB G-Skills System Ram | Sapphire 5850 Graphic Card | Samsung 46" LCD TV (My Monitor) | Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E Sound-Card | 4 WD Hard-Drivers Total Storage 2.4TB | Logitech DiNovo Keyboard and Logitech MX Revolution Mouse| Logitech Z-5500 Digital Sound System | And So On...

neo

neo

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert Consumer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
Use ResHacker, Resource Tunner (Recommeded but available TRAIL)

vegettoxp

vegettoxp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
First of all Neo, thx for all your help man. Neo I hate to keep bugging you, but I am guessing that the DLL files you gave me are just the starting points right? And I am pretty sure there are more. My question to you Neo is that, What is the best way to find all the DLL Files for the Setup Process? Do I go threw all the DLL or are there any Special Ones for the Setup Process? So if you can comment on this topic, that would REALLY help me out. Once again, thx for all the help man.

P.S. Fusion

sp00f

sp00f

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

w32uiimg.dll and w32uires.dll located at sources folder in Vista DVD

Not if you removed all files exept boot.wim and install.wim from the sources folder.
Then use the files in the mounted install.wim

mediapla

mediapla

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts
Thats very interesting.... ;) Iwoudlso change my setup screens, but i didnt found the resources, So i play a little animation film during the first time of setup. Is it possible to have sound :whistle: at the vista setup ? In the XP setup process it runs fine at T32...

mediapla

mediapla

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts
Mhhh, i didnt found the setup wallpaper with resource tuner in this files.... Anyone knows more about the setup screens ?
I changed the winpe.bmp, and the setp starts with my new wallpaper, but only a few seconds and "bam" ther was the old style on the screen... :blink:

mediapla

mediapla

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts
:thumbupHi, i had (partially???) success !!! But Im a little bit confused. There are so much files inside and outside of the Wim Files, and i made my work at home and at workplace, so i dont remember, which files i had patched. I believe they had all the text string "img" in the filename, so you should look in this files for Images. Some had bmp,some png files inside. Im still testing...

Attached Files

FarCry3r

FarCry3r

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
bumping...

I have modified spwizimg.dll inside \sources\ folder, it work when I start setup from Windows, but if I run setup from CD (bootable), the default vista background is shown, I mounted install.wim and found spwizimg.dll inside \Windows\system32\ folder, edited it, rebuild ISO test and it still the same...

so any idea how to?

Innocent Devil

Innocent Devil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
Its not install.wim,
but boot.wim Image 2

u have to mount boot.wim #2 image and edit required files in sources folder of it.
"The level of security that Vista is trying to achieve to protect video and audio is more extreme than anything the US government has ever considered necessary for protecting its most sensitive classified data."

Read Full Article @ [A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection]

Don't be lame [Linux is NOT Windows]

FarCry3r

FarCry3r

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
ahhh... thanks Innocent Devil for the tips, it's working right now :)

realmckoy

realmckoy
  • 8 posts
Can you help me on this please, I followed your instructions but still I cannot change the Autoplay screen of Vista when opened in Windows mode, though the setup in DOS mode is working fine. Thanks.

FarCry3r

FarCry3r

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
Edit spWizImg*.dll in source folder and replace the last bitmap object in the DLL.

realmckoy

realmckoy
  • 8 posts
@FarCry3r, thanks much!

FarCry3r

FarCry3r

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
you're welcomed, I just have one last problem, the background image when first entering setup and right before setup restart PC, it still the default image, I've changed anywhere I think the image could be but same...

Buster67

Buster67

• 38 posts
Try here
link
Signature removed, please read the rules: No animated images, not above 300*100 pix.

bensam56

bensam56

RT Seven Lite Developer

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
I modded all the files which are in sources directory.....but after restarting....the default background image only appearing again in setup......anyone please help me.....by the way....u guys know?...how to change the windows edition name in system properties?.....right now i'm using home premium....but i want to change this edition name to vista ultimate....anyone know where to change this one....? please anyone help me with these two matters...Thank you
Posted Image

Amitishere

Amitishere
  • 1 posts

Its not install.wim,
but boot.wim Image 2

u have to mount boot.wim #2 image and edit required files in sources folder of it.

Hey I replaced last image of boot.wim #2 . But I think there is a file protection in vista wim images
because after replacing the image I unmounted boot.wim #2 and again checked it to know whether
It is done or not but I again found an unedited image(default image) there so can you tell me
about this kind of protection please

midnight rambler

midnight rambler

• 19 posts
Below is a list of all bitmaps that can be modified for setup background.
I'm not sure which were the right ones so I changed them all to black for a completeley black setup.

sources\background_cli.bmp

mounted boot.wim 2 \sources\background.bmp
mounted boot.wim 2 \sources\spwizimg.dll (bitmaps 517,518 ResHacker)
mounted boot.wim 2 \Windows\System32\setup.bmp
mounted boot.wim 2 \Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-i..dia-branding-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7068.0_none_1be5d3d3aff37e82\setup.bmp

mounted boot.wim 2 \Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-i..dia-branding-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7068.0_none_1be5d3d3aff37e82\background.bmp

mounted boot.wim 2 \Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-i..dia-branding-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7068.0_none_1be5d3d3aff37e82\spwizimg.dll (bitmaps 517,518 ResHacker)

mounted install.wim \Windows\system32\spwizimg.dll

Attached File  background.jpg   25.08KB   74 downloads

The rest of setup looks like this as well as booting from DVD.

I had to edit this post to include windows\system32\spwizimg.dll from mounted install.wim to have the background image of the last part of setup look as you like.

Edited by midnight rambler, 02 July 2009 - 04:13 PM.

midnight rambler

midnight rambler

• 19 posts
It might be the just the first three in the list you need to modify.

Edited by midnight rambler, 09 April 2009 - 10:57 AM.

luckid

luckid
  • 6 posts
Not work on Vista SP2 .Wim ( boot.wim/spwizimg.dll ) whit Resource Tuner 1.99

error on open file :(

Luckid

midnight rambler

midnight rambler

• 19 posts
There's a few files in install wim you have to mess with also.

luckid

luckid
  • 6 posts
excuse but not understand :(
Im Italian ( google )

Luckid

midnight rambler

midnight rambler

• 19 posts
Try res hacker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users