nForce 4 audio problems

Brando569

I had drivers integrated into the dvd already and they worked, well they seemed to. about 15 minutes into a movie the sound would mess up then i would close WMP and go back to that position then vista would blue screen on me and give me the stop code 0xD1 and the driver that caused the crash was nvmcp.sys. i uninstalled the driver and and tried to re-install it from the nForce package from nvidia's site, only for some reason it doesnt install the audio driver. :unsure:

windows support center says to check windows update for the driver, but none is found. can anyone help me with this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, dude,

I cannot excactly help you as i'm not really a pro either, but just wanted to mention that i'm running a creative x-fi on an nForce 4 board, which recently happened to behave just very similar.

After just another update from creative (they desperately try to get their x-fis back working under vista...) the soundcard just stopped working. It would still be visible in hardware manager but there would be no driver installed and an update of the driver would just return an error code 28 (timout while waiting for the installation to finish).

After having messed around with different driver versions, cleaning the registry yet another time and deleting all creative files found on the system i finally managed tu F+++ up my Vista completely. Creative Support wasnt really supportive either as they where just wanting me to try the stuff i already tried plus doing this with a clean-boot state, which of course made no difference to a messed up driver installation.

so i'm left with shifting around my data to manage a fresh vista install beside my current (too many things i cant quickly backup and transfer to my new vista) and then migrating important things from the broken install to the fresh...

i believe you might end up just the same as vista still really badly suxx with these issues. one has to be prepared for this to happen more than this was the case with xp at the moment i believe.

It's a shame when you are perfectly inclined to tear apart your os in search of an answer and then having tech support say "Reboot your pc, sir."

Call again and ask them for a 2nd or 3rd tier of support. Tell them to give you their supervisor's number. Something has got to give.

HOWEVER.

@Brando569

Your system seemed to be holding up until that movie you played. By chance, was it an Axxo release? Some movies are encoded in such a way to cause these problems. You are using on board nvidia sound while sneaky has the same but uses creative... Sounds like a codec issue or conflicting drivers.

In either case, maybe you guys should post a little more info so that maybe someone has an answer. OEM disc? Downloaded drivers?

BTW - Certain versions of OEM cracks are known to conflict with NVIDIA drivers.

Also you can try manually adding drivers...

Manually add driver

Edited by razormoon