Video drivers for NEW and OLD videocards

Tihiy

bump!

Please find 5 minutes to test it.

So far it is confirmed to work on Radeon 9xxx series, Intel 915/945GM.

Does this mean there is a chance of getting Win9x to work on the ASUS EEEPC after all?? Huzzah!!!

--iWindoze

isnt that a memory limitation rathen then a driver one

I've thought of that, except I sometimes use another Windows 98SE machine with a different video card (but the same amount of video memory) that can switch to 1024x768x24. Actually, it can even go as far as 1280x1024x32. So I figure my main machine should be able to also, at least up to 24 bit.

I've thought of that, except I sometimes use another Windows 98SE machine with a different video card (but the same amount of video memory) that can switch to 1024x768x24. Actually, it can even go as far as 1280x1024x32. So I figure my main machine should be able to also, at least up to 24 bit.

- 1024x768x24 : should need 2.25 MB (therefore, a 4MB card)

- 1280x1024x32: should need 5 MB (therefore, a 8MB card)

It is impossible for a 2MB card to display such resolutions simply because there is not enough VRAM to store all the pixels. You probably misread the VRAM amount on those computers, or the drivers are reporting the wrong values (?).

With custom build of this driver and special patched shadow bios i was finally able to get my native 1280x800 resolution on notebook with 915GM!

And holy crap, it works awesome, i was even able to watch videos. Still no audio, lan or wlan, though, but i'm sure that sometime i'll be able to solve this :rolleyes:

If author gives me permission, i'll release this version for 915GM, otherwise anyway sometime version with support for non-standard resolutions will come. :sneaky:

Edit: here it is! I hope someone will find it useful! :hello:

i915GM.zip

Edited by Tihiy

• 15 years later...
On 12/25/2007 at 10:04 AM, Tihiy said:

With custom build of this driver and special patched shadow bios i was finally able to get my native 1280x800 resolution on notebook with 915GM!

And holy crap, it works awesome, i was even able to watch videos. Still no audio, lan or wlan, though, but i'm sure that sometime i'll be able to solve this :rolleyes:

If author gives me permission, i'll release this version for 915GM, otherwise anyway sometime version with support for non-standard resolutions will come. :sneaky:

Edit: here it is! I hope someone will find it useful! :hello:

i915GM.zip

Do these drivers support 3D acceleration by chance?

This is just a early version of the Universal Vesa/VBE Win9x driver, from Bear Windows, patched "for Intel 915GM"

Later versions, of the driver, may have improved on this patched driver's capabilities.

It may have 2D acceleration. But it will not have 3D acceleration.

I do admire your commitment, to find one (3D driver).

I've looking into writing driver, for Win9x. Video drivers look like a lot of work.

I do wonder if the Bear Windows driver could be used as a base, for a modular 3D video driver. The driver could expose a basic set of 3D implements, that rely on a GPU specific module file. Maybe even include 3D capabilities, that can be disabled or offloaded to software rendering, if not actually present in the GPU.

I don't know what it would be like to target DirectX. I wonder if it might be better to target OpenGL and WineD3D. Then you could support multiple versions of DirectX. WineD3D would need to be part of the driver.

Even with the GPU specific implenation(s) aside, it would be a lot of work

And, I'm not even sure it would really work. It certainly wouldn't perform like a vendor driver.... Just dreaming on it, a little.

SoftGPU (or more specifically, its "wine9x" and "mesa9x" components) seems to be the only(?) option for some kind of universal software 3D Acceleration (using llvmpipe) for Win9x running on real hardware, not talking about any virtualization.

I've tested it on real hardware with my 7900 GTX and it workes just like it does on VirtualBox with all its current limitations, and it's quite buggy.

In this case, whenever DirectX is being requested by an application using ddraw, d3d8, or d3d9 - CPU does all the work, leaving GPU running simply as a dumb basic display adapter using VBEMP or thing like that.