Strange SATA Hard disk behaviour

mannyo

This is a strange one,

I have vista installed with all the updates installed, including todays updates.

Brief hardware list.

The PC has 3 hard drives installed, say C:, D: and E:

The O/S is installed on C:, the paging file is on E:, D: and E: have my data shared between them.

The drives are all Hitachi Deskstars.

The motherboard is based on the intel 965 chipset and the SATA controllers show in device manager as ICH8 based.

I have 2GB ram and an intel quad core Q6600 CPU. There is also an Nvidia Geforce 8 series PCIex graphics card.

And the problem, I cant work around.

I am having problems with power management. The Bios is set so that the powerdown is disabled, and in Vista power management I am running the High performance profile, with the hard drive setting configured to powerdown afer 20 mins. The problem is they dont stay powered up that long. The drives all run fine as long as data is being accessed, but as soon as I say stop playing an MP3 file the drive spins down about 15 seconds after the data flow stops. This applies to D: and E:, C: seems unaffected.

I have downloaded the acoustic management software from Hitachis website and run that, and everything is disabled with regard to power management on the drive itself. I didnt think it would be that beause the same drives under XP had no problems. I also tried the inf update from intels website, but the problem remains.

Are there any more upto date drivers for the ICH8 controller, other than the microsoft ones that ship with Vista. The inf update changed something as the drivers are now shown as intel, but the files themselves are still all MS provided.

So to sum up, my vista experience is a bit slow and clunky at the moment because I keep having to wait for the drives to spin up.

Edited by mannyo

Replying to my own post,

I still have the problem, as do many but at least with hitachi drives there seems to be a workaround of sorts.

I loaded the acoustic management software cd and enabled the power management settings, and set it to "Low power idle". What this seems o do, is when vista tells the drive to spin down, it doesnt, instead it switches to what seems to be a lower RPM so now when the drive wakes up I dont have to wait so long for the system to respond. Just need MS to fix vista now.

• 2 months later...