Digital Camera Question?

vegettoxp

Hey Guys, I hope I can ask this question in here. I haven't bought a camera for a long time. And now I am in the market for a New Digital Camera. I am not a photographer. I just want to have a camera that takes good pictures. A Family Camera. My budget is between $100 - $200. I want to have a camera that takes good pictures, good pixel number, couple of good features. I don't know alot about Digital Camera and that is why I came to you guys. If you guys can recommend me some good brands that I should look at or good camera that I should look, it would really help me out. Plus give me whatever info I need to look for when buying a Digital Camera. Thank You for you help guys!

P.S. Fusion :hello:

Canon is a great company. I'd recommend them for the point and shoot as well.

My main beef with Kodak cameras (at least the ones I've used) is that they always choose their internal memory (if present) over any cards, so you'll sometimes be snapping away, and after 10 pictures, the camera will say "out of memory". It also makes it a pain to transfer files, since you're forced to use their transfer cable/dock. I'll take a card reader over a camera's USB port any day.

Canon is a great company. I'd recommend them for the point and shoot as well.

My main beef with Kodak cameras (at least the ones I've used) is that they always choose their internal memory (if present) over any cards, so you'll sometimes be snapping away, and after 10 pictures, the camera will say "out of memory". It also makes it a pain to transfer files, since you're forced to use their transfer cable/dock. I'll take a card reader over a camera's USB port any day.

um.. well you must have a crappy model then.. my 2GB mem card is set as the default and that one is always the one it writes to. also why wouldnt you want to use their cable? you can just pop out your mem card if you want to..

um.. well you must have a crappy model then.. my 2GB mem card is set as the default and that one is always the one it writes to. also why wouldnt you want to use their cable? you can just pop out your mem card if you want to..

I might have got a crappy model - who knows. All I remember is that any time I removed and reinserted the memory card, the camera chose the internal memory to be the default storage location. With the pictures on the internal memory, there's no other way to download them other than to use the cable.

I also don't like using the cable that comes with the camera because of the horrible transfer speeds. I tested a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50K the other day (horrible picture quality by the way...) and I didn't have a card reader in my computer. Ever transferred 600MB worth of pictures at 650KB/s? It's painfully slow...

I would recommend Canon to anyone any day. I've used their scanners, digital cameras, and DVCams (have an Optura 50 myself) and all are excellent. Great build quality too - my CanoScan LiDE 20 scanner is about 5 years old, has endured coffee spills, neglect, dust, and various levels of manhandling, and still scans like a champ.

I can also personally vouch for the Nikon Coolpix L10 or something like that. The small silver one with a slight bulge on the left side (as you're looking at it, right side from behind it). I got a display model for $110 or so and it's great for shutterbugging around the city. I have a Kodak EasyShare DX6490 which, while not a true SLR, has SLR controls for f-stop, shutter speed, etc. I use that for more serious work, at least until I save up and get an EOS.

I wouldn't recommend the 6490 for point-and-shoot stuff, though, as it's very boxy in its physical conformation. Not pocket-friendly in the least, but it takes really great pictures. The new EasyShares, though, one of which my girlfriend has, are very nice. Slim, pocket/purse/laptop bag friendly, large LCDs. No direct viewfinder, though, if you feel you need one. My girlfriend was kinda bummed about that, but the camera was a good enough deal (think she nabbed it off NewEgg) that she bought it anyway.

Funny thing about her Kodak and my Nikon - The Kodak produces more vivid color and is super-clear in the center of focus, but gets a little blurry around the corners of the image. The Nikon is a little less clear all around, but maintains a uniform sharpness. The colors aren't quite as nice as the Kodak, but they're still very, very good. Took pictures with it at Navy Pier in Chicago and the various blues of Lake Michigan came out great. Reds are a little washed out compared to the Kodak. I want to compare both of our Kodaks and see how they look side-by-side. Mine's only a 4MP to her...6, I think? But then again I have the SLR-style controls that hers lacks. It'll be a real interesting comparison I think.

So yes, long story short I can vouch for Nikon's CoolPix line, Kodak's EasyShare line, and Canon in general as a very reliable imaging company. I'd say that if you have any doubts, go with a Canon. You'll likely not go wrong.