Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

Media Players + Encoders + Codecs

LAST-FRREE - XRat Player http://web.archive.org/web/20010211090908/http://glory.nm.ru or http://downgrade.at.ua/load/pleery/xrat_player/7-1-0-21

Internet Browsers

ONGD - FREE - Dplus browser http://dplus-browser.sourceforge.net/

Edited by russianwin98user

I found that after I downloaded the latest ClamWin v0.97.6, then the latest Clam Sentinel V1.20 that it wouldn't let me download a complete copy of Audacity v2.0 because some of the .dll files looked "suspicious" and were quarantined. Anyone else find that Clam Sentinel is overzealous with downloaded files??? I was able to successfully redownload the Audacity program after deleting the Clam Sentinel and it works fine.

Also, wanted to get some help/feedback with Adobe Flash Player. Apparently I am running "Adobe Flash Player Active X" on my Win98SE. I wanted to get the latest Adobe Flash Player for Win98 which seems to be 9.0.289.0. The only one I can find on the older versions provided by Adobe is 9.0.280.0. Can anyone upload the v9.0.289.0 version here?

I took a look at what Java version my computer was running and it turns out to be "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0" which is v1.5.0-03b07 that came out in 2005. Is this worth upgrading to what I gather is the latest version, Java 6 Update 7??? To do that looks a little complicated so I went to java.com and downloaded what they recommended which was Java 5.0 version 18.

Finally, I wanted to give a big THANK YOU to the writer that recommended turning off the Javascript while using Firefox v2.0.0.20. WOW! No more slowdowns and error messages. Now I can internet browse easily and quickly! What a difference!!!

Edited by ramentaschen

On the first page of this thread, the second post, you should find a link for Adobe Flash 9.0.283.0, which is what I think you want, AFAIK.

Cheers and Regards

Thank you for your response. I did see that link on the first page and got this when using Firefox:

Not Found

The requested URL /pub/flashplayer/installers/current/9/install_flash_player_9.exe was not found on this server.

Here's a ZIP with both versions of Flash Payer 9.0.289.0. I archived it some time ago.

fp9289.zip - 2.8 Mb

EDIT:

Here's the easy way to get Java 6u7.

MDGx - AddOns - Java

Follow the link/instructions in this section:

Direct download [15.1 MB, right-click to save!]

is the LAST Update compatible with Windows 95/OSR1/OSR2/98/98 SP1/98 SE/NT4 SP6a/ME, but you MUST ignore "Warning: This is not a supported Operating System!" error message!

Edited by LoneCrusader

Thank you for all of the updated links!

Regarding the Java 6 Update 7

but you MUST ignore "Warning: This is not a supported Operating System!" error message!

Is this something that will pop up repeatedly or only the first time after downloading. Just curious.

It's interesting to me that for versions of Adobe Reader one must download the later versions sequentially ex: v6.0.1 ---> v.6.0.2 ---> v6.0.3 and so on but for Adobe Flash Player it is recommended that you completely uninstall the old version before upgrading to the latest compatible version.

Edited by ramentaschen

Thank you for all of the updated links!

Regarding the Java 6 Update 7

but you MUST ignore "Warning: This is not a supported Operating System!" error message!

Is this something that will pop up repeatedly or only the first time after downloading. Just curious.

It's interesting to me that for versions of Adobe Reader one must download the later versions sequentially ex: v6.0.1 ---> v.6.0.2 ---> v6.0.3 and so on but for Adobe Flash Player it is recommended that you completely uninstall the old version before upgrading to the latest compatible version.

No problem. :thumbup

You will only see the warning during the install, never again.

Yes, it would be nice if the various patches for Adobe Reader v6.0.x would have been combined or if they had issued a complete v6.0.6 installer. :}

Has anyone got help for me, I am trying to install Yahoo Messenger onto my Windows 98 system so that I can talk via headphones with a microphone, however I tried old versions and none are able to sign me in, is it because the older versions are retired by Yahoo?

I see the list hasn't been updated since last year. So my question is, what exactly is Opera 10.66, as is shown on the list? I googled a little bit and it seems to be known only in Russian. Or is this mainly a typo? :)

If that is the case, then am I correct in that Opera 10.63 is the last compatible version for stock 98SE (i.e. without any kernel patches/mods)? If not, then what is 10.66, where can I download it, and will I be able to install that? Or what exactly is the last compatible version? I tried 11.00 but that wouldn't install. There is no 10.66 at Opera.com for windows, although I did not check under other O/Ses, if that is where it is.

History does not work [for me] in 10.63. Wikipedia lists 10.54 as the last stable version of the 10.x series. It also lists 10.60 as the first to support WebM video (requires KernelEx).

Edited by jumper

History does not work in 10.63.

That's strange. It works on my system. jumper, could there be elements in play other than KernelEX that may also affect 10.63 functionality?

Wikipedia lists 10.54 as the last stable version of the 10.x series

A statement from Opera regarding 10.63: "Opera 10.63 is a recommended upgrade offering security and stability enhancements". Hmm. 10.63 appears to be a regular release, and not listed as an RC or beta.

Edited for grammar

Edited by Foxbat

Glad to hear my lack of History is probably just something wrong with my installation--I've updated post #823.

My installation is an upgrade from 10.61 and 10.60 (and maybe over 10.0x). My global_history.dat is 0KB, but get touched each time I exit. :wacko:

I'll try a clean reinstall of 10.63 when I get the chance. :whistle:

Whoever wrote the Wikipedia article must consider the whole 10.6x branch to be unstable....

Edited by jumper