Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

The automatic and manual vps update of Avast! 4 Home 4.8.1368 fail on ME since 4th October. Message: Not enough storage to process this command. It still works on XP. Avast had worked in the background without any problems on one machine here so far except that it delayed the startup. The VPS def file had enlarged up to 200MB in recent years.

Last week I downloaded the daily build "intelligent updater" package from Symantec for an XP machine running NAV 2002. This was only to scan the slaved NTFS hard drive of a suspect win-7 laptop (ordinarily NAV is not running on the XP system in question). The Symantec package was over 700 mb in size (6 or so years ago it was 100 mb). The package updated the NAV 2002 scan engine and definitions to current standards. NAV 2002 runs on win-98 just fine. Now why you need or want to waste CPU power running an anti-virus program on win-98, that's the larger question here.

For comparison, ClamWin (current v0.98.7, 2015-May-16, freeware):

http://www.clamwin.com/

The installed files (not including virus-definition databases) total about 22mb.  The most-recent core database (Main.cvd) is around 63mb, and the daily updates database (Daily.cvd) is currently around 39mb.  

> Now why you need or want to waste CPU power running an anti-virus
> program on win-98, that's the larger question here.

Occasionally, i run ClamWin manually, just out of curiosity, on my "pimped up" 98SE machine.  But never find anything.  Every once in awhile, for the heck of it, I also run it manually just scanning memory.  

- Doug B.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trout Audio Player no longer works on WinME. Last version to work was 1.0.6 build 71.

Sorry, but I can't find a link to any previous versions. I can email older versions to you if want. Just message me if interested.

PhotoFiltre 7.2.1 still works fine on Windows ME.

http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm

Edited by ZortMcGort11

I saw a bunch of old versions of Trout on some site recently, but they all sport crappy search engines - most google-based - and I can't find it anymore.

Anyway, Jody already said long ago he wouldn't support Win9x anymore despite continuous requests (and help) in the DonationCoder forum board so I guess that's it. Another one bites the dust. :(

(added link to DC forum board comment)

Edited by Drugwash

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@galahs:

7zip are be unsupported since 9.32 alpha (ADVAPI32 depend)

9.30 is a Last for Windows 98 SE

Otherwise for Foobar2000 does includes with Special Version (0.8.3)

Edited by Illutorium

• 1 month later...