Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

But the bigger question is... can 7.06.00.268 still update its virus database to the latest from Avira's servers? If not, then I guess I will pass.

Official support for Avira AntiVir on Windows 9x ended June 30, 2007

According to this page:

Starting July 2006, Microsoft discontinued the support for Windows 98/ME. As announced some time ago on Product lifecycle information page on www.avira.com, we do not offer new versions and updates for Windows 98/ME virus protection any longer.

I'm guessing that the 'updates' part of their statement means just that...

But the bigger question is... can 7.06.00.268 still update its virus database to the latest from Avira's servers? If not, then I guess I will pass.

Official support for Avira AntiVir on Windows 9x ended June 30, 2007

According to this page:

Starting July 2006, Microsoft discontinued the support for Windows 98/ME. As announced some time ago on Product lifecycle information page on www.avira.com, we do not offer new versions and updates for Windows 98/ME virus protection any longer.

I'm guessing that the 'updates' part of their statement means just that...

Thanks, that is unfortunate. Clamwin is ok, but it doesn't have a real time scanner, although I do have it installed on another 98SE box. Some Googling did provide some other results, but some of those other antivirus products have since dropped 98SE support as well. I realize there's not much virus infection that can happen to 98SE/Me, but I'd rather have a safety net, especially when I additionally have a bunch of old floppy disks that I have not looked at in ages that can (and have) harbored older viruses. Perhaps I will stick with Avast, unless someone has a recommendation.

Edited by technoid

If it's primarily old virii you're worried about, you don't need a virus scanner that's still updated; their definitions have probably included all classic virii for a decade. On top of that, any worthwhile active scanner is going to protect you from classic virii by preventing executables from searching for and modifying all other executables on your system, monitoring the insertion of floppy disks and protecting your hard drive's boot sector.

Queue

If it's primarily old virii you're worried about, you don't need a virus scanner that's still updated; their definitions have probably included all classic virii for a decade. On top of that, any worthwhile active scanner is going to protect you from classic virii by preventing executables from searching for and modifying all other executables on your system, monitoring the insertion of floppy disks and protecting your hard drive's boot sector.

Queue

Yes, ancient computer virii hiding potentially in my old disks is not primarily, but equally, important (that classic Monkey virus comes to mind), since this box also surfs the internet and also attached to a network, so just in case some dude out there decides to make a new 98SE virus (and the virus database updated for it), I'd just want to have this malware caught in real time. I know some of you guys don't have an antivirus, but I'd like to be safer, than sorry(er). The box also has a software firewall, of course! Still, I'd like suggestions for a replacement antivirus that has active database updates to try other than Avast, if possible.

Edited by technoid

Shouldn't we also mention that we can edit files or pointers that is within programs so they can work with

9x, Windows 3.1, 2.1, 1.0?

Some programs work the exact same way but you have to tell them to use another System file or Dll. Some programs also just need the DLL from that other operating system. Then there is the programs that "reinvents the wheel" and can run on all systems.

Ludwig wrote: Shouldn't we also mention that we can edit files or pointers that is within programs so they can work with

9x, Windows 3.1, 2.1, 1.0?

Is there any good info about how to do this? A special program for doing it would be nice. Maybe one could even make a wrapper that cathes missing dll-links and redirects the call to a dll in the program directory according to a lookup table that can be manually edited.

Opera 10 released:

http://www.opera.com/

I love it. The standard skin has improved a lot and it's simply flying on my old Win98 box. Resource usage is still high but usable (RP9 installed) and the speed is worth it. Anyone who uses Opera on Win9x should update. Or start using it :)

Got to agree with all this, had Beta 3 Build 1699 and now the RC Build 1733 and beats FF hands down on speed on both my 98SE and 98SE2ME boxes.

Cannot see it being long before a final release if this last build is anything to go by.

Edit: Latest build offered is Build 1750 and see noguru's post below.

Edited by lightning slinger

Officially it's a RC. But it's a bit confusing since it's offered on the Opera website like a final and 9.64 users ( on Windows at least, dunno about other platforms) get a message that there's a new version available. Seems all pretty final to me.

edit: Seems that some sites still call it RC but it's a final.

Edited by noguru

If someone could give an example with screenshots how to patch a program to work in win9x with a hex editor, I would be very interested. Many free programs seem to fail due to their license manager, which is a sad failure for free programs.

If it can be done manually, it should be easy to make a program that does the pathes. Furthermore, if a newer version of a dll is needed, I would like to rename that dll and patch the program to call the renamed dll, rather than replacing the original windows dll. Maybe one could even preload that dll in a VBscript so that it does not have to be in the windows directory.

Today, this is needed for Win9x, but some day for winXP too I presume.

Best regards,

Anders

First post is wrong. Newer versions of VirtualDub do work. I'm using an older version (1.7.xx), but I think the latest 1.7 and 1.8 work fine as well.

If someone could give an example with screenshots how to patch a program to work in win9x with a hex editor...
Better start a new thread.