Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

Next you just right click on opera.exe, set it to NT4 or 2000 compat mode and then you run it by double clicking on it, that's all. ;)

Btw, when you install 7-zip it installs a shell extension in explorer with which you can extract archive, including self-extracting executables such as the Opera installer, without needing to launch 7-Zip itself, that's the context menu I was speaking about.

Also be aware that if you've got another version of opera somewhere else in a folder named opera they will both share the same settings, history etc... I f you want to have separate settings for different versions of Opera, make sure they are in folders that have different names as Opera will use, or create if none exist, a folder of the same name as the one containing the Opera.exe under C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera.

If you've got Opera in a folder named Opera, its settings will be stored in C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera

If you've got Opera in a folder named Opera 11.64, its settings will be stored in C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera 11.64

And so on.

Let me take this one step at a time.

First I right click the file I downloaded, then I right click which option? surely I don't just bring up all the files and use the exe file? if that is the case then what happens to all the other files in the initial file I downloaded?

Edited by frogman

Just out of interest, why does it not install when I double click on the Opera_1164_int_Setup file that was first downloaded? I see that it says it's extracting, but like I said nothing happened afterwards.

The opera.exe you've found in the folder you've extracted with 7-Zip is the browser itself, just double click on it to run it.

Does the folder with all those extracted files need to be in the program files folder? and by running the exe file will this put the Opera in the add/remove programs list? in other words by running the exe file is this actually installing the program?

Will I have any silly page annoyances with this version as opposed to the 10.10 version?

On the failed install as per my first post on this, where exactly are the files being extracted to if at all being that nothing happened when I first double clicked on the first installation file?

Can I also just quickly ask if anyone happens to know if Yahoo Pool can be played on Opera 11.64 on Windows 98? I won't bother running Opera if Java don't work you see.

Oh, and if this version of Opera isn't being installed as we normally do, if we want it removed do we just delete the folders being that it doesn't show up in the add/remove progs list?

Also be aware that if you've got another version of opera somewhere else in a folder named opera they will both share the same settings, history etc... I f you want to have separate settings for different versions of Opera, make sure they are in folders that have different names as Opera will use, or create if none exist, a folder of the same name as the one containing the Opera.exe under C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera.

If you've got Opera in a folder named Opera, its settings will be stored in C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera

If you've got Opera in a folder named Opera 11.64, its settings will be stored in C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera 11.64

And so on.

I have installed Opera 11.64 and as you quite rightly say as I had it in a folder called Opera a folder also exists in C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera

Now, I also want to install the version of Opera 10.10, this time the install file is called 10.10_Opera_1010_classic_Setup, and of course if I double click this file it will install by itself, so should I perform the same as I did for the 11.64 version, but this time making sure I have extracted first all the files to a folder called Opera 10.10, so that the settings will go to C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera 10.10, or as I am not too bothered about both sharing the same settings shall I just install the earlier version of Opera 10.10 and let it install by itself?

Or will it be easier to put the setup file of 10.10 into a folder first and name it Opera 10.10, then go to the exe file and run it from within that folder? am I right that by doing this it will also put the settings to C:\Windows\Application Data\Opera 10.10 ?

Edited by frogman

Am I correct in thinking that for the Opera 10.10 the settings all go to the program files folder and for instance the preferences would go to C:\PROGRAM FILES\OPERA_10.10\profile\operaprefs.ini which is different to where they go for the 11.64 version as the preferences went into C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Opera\OPERA\operaprefs.ini

Does this look okay for both versions of Opera?

First is the 11.64 version.

Paths

Preferences

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Opera\OPERA\operaprefs.ini

Saved session

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Opera\OPERA\sessions\autopera.win