Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

so what are you guys running for a/v? i noticed my win 7 is still running avast 4.8, witch works on 98

Avast 4.8 until the licence expires (only now valid on a couple of rarely used machines), and then ClamWin with ClamSentinel.

So I take it that it was a good idea when I entered a new registration number into my Avast 4.8 some time ago when it then gave me an update expiration date of 01st October 2010, so it looks like this gave me a reprieve for another few months.

Has anyone tried a new registration recently? as I would be curious as to what date it would give this time for expiration, or maybe when you do this now the program will simply stop working, I don't know.

Some said recently that Windows 98 can actually run safe enough without an AV program, being that it is a well known out of date system, and virus writers aren't that bothered about attacking 98, when they are more interested in more recent operating systems.

Is anyone using ClamWin, and have they ran into any problems running this non-realtime AV prog?

Is anyone using ClamWin, and have they ran into any problems running this non-realtime AV prog?

I was a bit dubious about ClamWin on its own. Given the amount of junk I have on disk, doing a complete scan was taking forever. Now able to give that up by using ClamSentinel which isn't real time, but scans a file within 10 seconds of it having been written. Allied with a bit of common sense about where not to go on the interwebs, and I have had no trouble.

So I take it that it was a good idea when I entered a new registration number into my Avast 4.8 some time ago when it then gave me an update expiration date of 01st October 2010, so it looks like this gave me a reprieve for another few months.

Has anyone tried a new registration recently? as I would be curious as to what date it would give this time for expiration, or maybe when you do this now the program will simply stop working, I don't know.

frogman,

I registered Avast! 4.8 on a Win98SE computer the other day, and I got a license expiration date of 01 June 2011. I did this in mid-June, so I can't be sure if the system defaults to the first of the current month or if that means that everybody's 4.8 licenses die as of that date. I suspect it's the former, which would be a good thing.

This is all much better than I had come to understand -- which is that Alwil was going to stop issuing definitions updates for Avast! 4.8 at the end of 2010. I was prepared to see an expiration date sometime in December '10.

Hope this helps.

--JorgeA

frogman,

I registered Avast! 4.8 on a Win98SE computer the other day, and I got a license expiration date of 01 June 2011. I did this in mid-June, so I can't be sure if the system defaults to the first of the current month or if that means that everybody's 4.8 licenses die as of that date. I suspect it's the former, which would be a good thing.

This is all much better than I had come to understand -- which is that Alwil was going to stop issuing definitions updates for Avast! 4.8 at the end of 2010. I was prepared to see an expiration date sometime in December '10.

Hope this helps.

--JorgeA

I just took a chance and registered again just to get a slightly longer expiration date, and the expire date is now 01st August 2011, although the program 4.8 will probably be ceased well before then, fingers crossed.

I just took a chance and registered again just to get a slightly longer expiration date, and the expire date is now 01st August 2011, although the program 4.8 will probably be ceased well before then, fingers crossed.

Good luck to all of us!

--JorgeA

Good luck to all of us!

--JorgeA

At least we have ClamWin plus Clam Sentinel to use when Avast eventually drops support for 98.

• 2 weeks later...

F-PROT for DOS is here:

http://fprot.org/fr_english.php

latest update: 20.11.2008

Hi guys,

i have just powered up my ole AMD-K6 machine running Win98_SP1 after a downtime of almost a year. As antivirus thing i am running 'My Free Antivirus' by Smart PC Tools, you may 'google' it, OK, sorry we are on an MS premise, so you may BING it. ;-) That is running quite perfectly for me. Maybe anyone who tries it wants to post their experience feedback.

A big THANK YOU to all contributors. Let's keep it alive!

THX n Greets, harrymonster

Graphical Design

LAST - FREE - Pixia 4.60

I've tested Pixia 4.70j English version and 4.60k Japanese version. And I found 4.70 and above can't show image files on Win98se.

Latest Pixia English version is available from:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mighty/knight/index.html

And old Japanese version is available from:

http://home.a00.itscom.net/pixia/

Edited by halohalo

• 3 weeks later...