Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

It appears WinRAR will no longer support Windows 9X.

From RARLAB main page:

Last updated: 15 November 2010

* We stopped the development and support of Pocket RAR and RAR version for MS DOS. Also now the minimum required Windows version for WinRAR is Windows 2000. You can find old versions of RAR/DOS, Pocket RAR and WinRAR for older Windows here.

The linked page lists WinRAR 3.93 as the last version for Windows 9X, NT4, and DOS.

Obsolete RAR versions

Here you can find outdated RAR versions for operating systems and platforms, which we do not develop for and support anymore.

Last version of English WinRAR with Windows 98 and Windows NT 4 support.

Last version of English Pocket RAR for Pocket PC and Windows Mobile versions up to 6.5.

Last version of RAR for MS DOS.

WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 3.93 Graphic and command line Trial 1332 KB

RAR 3.93 for Pocket PC Graphic only Free 261 KB

RAR 3.93 for MS DOS <info> Command line only Trial 656 KB

From RARLAB main page:

Last updated: 15 November 2010

* We stopped the development and support of Pocket RAR and RAR version for MS DOS. Also now the minimum required Windows version for WinRAR is Windows 2000. You can find old versions of RAR/DOS, Pocket RAR and WinRAR for older Windows here.

The linked page lists WinRAR 3.93 as the last version for Windows 9X, NT4, and DOS.

Obsolete RAR versions

Here you can find outdated RAR versions for operating systems and platforms, which we do not develop for and support anymore.

Last version of English WinRAR with Windows 98 and Windows NT 4 support.

Last version of English Pocket RAR for Pocket PC and Windows Mobile versions up to 6.5.

Last version of RAR for MS DOS.

WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 3.93 Graphic and command line Trial 1332 KB

RAR 3.93 for Pocket PC Graphic only Free 261 KB

RAR 3.93 for MS DOS <info> Command line only Trial 656 KB

Will this lack of support cause problems opening rar files made with newer versions and opening them with older versions like for instance Winrar3.30?

I am grateful to KernelEx enabling me to have various programs I would not normally be able to have on windows 98.

I suppose if new file formats are introduced older versions of Winrar may not be able to open them.

Edited by frogman

I've seen that message too.

Because I'm owner of a legal copy of it, of course I'm not pleased with that fact.

But I've made a small test: I've installed beta version of WinRar 4.0 and I don't have any problem at this moment - as I presume just because of presence of KernelEx.

Don't know if any1 already posted this here, so I'm gonna do it (again?)... ;)

File comparison tools display the differences (eventually highlighted in different colors) of the contents of 2 files side-by-side [binary, text, ASCII, Unicode, UTF etc] for all 9x OSes (free):

* MS WinDiff [rather primitive] found on your Win98/98SE/ME install CD-ROM and on MS ftp server (English, free):

- WINDIFF.EXE

- GUTILS.DLL (required!)

- WINDIFF.HLP

All 3 files above must reside inside the same folder.

* WinMerge [way better features, probably the best of its kind for the money ;-)] (free GPL).

HTH

What exactly are the last versions of Opera and Firefox to work perfectly under Win 98SE, without requiring KernelEx?

It seems I've lost track of them, sorry. :blushing:

Firefox 2.0.0.20

or better SeaMonkey 1.1.19 it has the same Gecko-Engine like FF2 and Thunderbird 2 but it is more "recent"

Opera 10.63

but opera 10.10 is the last version which supports the old java plugin

for java 5 Update 22 and java 6 Update 7

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#JAVA

What exactly are the last versions of Opera and Firefox to work perfectly under Win 98SE, without requiring KernelEx?

It seems I've lost track of them, sorry. :blushing:

Last official Firefox for 98 & ME was 2.0.0.20. (Can be made to work in Windows 95 as well.)

There was also a later build of Firefox (Branded as Bon Echo) that was not an official release, 2.0.0.22pre, I think it was still being updated because of updates to Thunderbird 2 at the time. It seems most references to it have disappeared, and I haven't used it myself, but I have a copy of the .exe installer for it.

I love Firefox, but that's my biggest gripe with it and Mozilla, virtually no support of anything that gets a year or so old, it's ridiculous. :realmad:

Think about it.. Firefox 2.0.0.20 was released barely 2 years ago and it's already "erased" from Mozilla's memory, and already websites are blocking it (MySpace) or complaining about it (YouTube).

Edited by LoneCrusader

I think Opera never used the old java plugin. AFAIK, up to the 9.x series it was using its own internal mechanism to hook into the java runtime and they've ditched that with the 10.x series to use the new java plugin instead.

I need Verizon Access Manager software for Windows 98SE. Will the Pantech PX-500 USB EVDO Rev. A modem (aka PC5750) work with Win98?

Verizon's website lists 5.8.2 as the last version to support Win98 but they don't have a download link on their website AFAIK.

I currently use Verizon Access Manager for Windows XP but would like to use it on Win98. Thanks!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone post links to the last version of Flash 10 to work with KernelEx? It's 10.0 r45 I believe. I got a version of the plugin for Mozilla from the Kmeleon website but it includes the "feature" of not deleting the flash files from the $temp directory. I'm looking for one without this hack for both Mozilla and the ActiveX. There is a link to the last Flash 9 in the splash page of this thread but I didn't see Flash 10. Thanks everyone.

Could someone post links to the last version of Flash 10 to work with KernelEx? It's 10.0 r45 I believe.

The official Adobe archive for old versions (so that developers can test against them (!)) is to be found here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

It includes an archive of the 10.1 and 10 versions, and goes right back to version 2.

Happy hunting, and a Happy Christmas.

Jeff