Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

For those wanting a good free PDF creator/convertor:

LAST - FREE - activePDF PrimoPDF 3.1 --- http://www.filehippo.com/download_primopdf/2557/

You can try the latest (4.0.2.5) from http://www.primopdf.com/.

It states that it works in 98... But I could not get 3.2, 4.0, 4.0.1, or 4.0.2.5 to work.

4.x versions install okay, but throw a .NET 2.0 exception when used. 3.2 installs but fails in use too.

In February this year, Lance Kayashima from activePDF made this comment in the PrimoPDF Forums:

The hard choice is whether to continue to add more capability to PrimoPDF (e.g., Unicode) or stay backward compatible. The choice was made to maintain the effort to keep PrimoPDF the best in class and so Win95/98SE support (Engineering effort to maintain backward compatibility and product testing) was dropped, with continuing support of XP and adding Vista support.

I guess that sums it up!

I'd like to know why they still say it supports Windows 98, and why even the latest version still has the 9x PostScript drivers and PrimoPDF 9x print monitor... (that question has already been asked in their forums - with no answer...)

Edited by RetroOS

I contacted the developer of SSM regarding its conflicting with Media Player Classic, and got this reply:

....we will unlikely have

time and resources to fix any win98 specific issues.

Apparently, SSM is as developed as it will be as far as 9X systems are concerned. For Win98/ME, 2.0.8.583 is the last recommended version. 584 and 585 are for NT systems.

So far MPC is the only application I'm aware of that conflicts with SSM free, but I'm not skilled enough to determine why. The only other conflict I know of with SSM is with KernelEX.

Rick

Thanks herbalist for checking with the developer of SSM concerning the MPC problem. Since Media Player Classic seems to be the only program that might conflict with SSM, it would have been nice if the developer had the time and the interest to know why this one program has a problem with their product. ... Maybe someone (at the company) will research it out someday, just to understand the problem. Now I am curious, with newer versions of SSM and XP installed if MPC works OK on that system. I don't have XP so I can't test it, but that's something that would be interesting to know.

I will just switch to XM Player, which is very good, but MPC played DVDs really good with the K-Lite codec package .... maybe there are other simple good DVD players out there ... but I don't play that many DVD movies on my pc anyway. ... there is one thing that I want to check out about MPC ... when I install the "full" K-Lite codec package I install MPC with it ... it's all in one package, but it's an option .... maybe it's not MPC ... maybe it's something in the K-Lite package ... so I need to try some different installs to see if MPC really is the problem.

thanks - duffy

Edited by duffy98

If you use Anvir Task Manager Free, the current version 5.1.0 still has support for Windows 98 and Me.

I've got it running, and it runs well with an easier to view tree layout of startup applications and services, and other new features.

It's good to see some companies that recognise that millions of users still have so-called 'obsolete' operating systems.

Just because my car is over ten years old doesn't mean I have stop using it!

Windows 9x lives!

9x users, don't feel embarrassed by using a lean OS just because your friends and work mates use a BLOAT OS.

Lean OS Linux users are bold - come on 9x users - be BOLD!

BTW, statistics show that Linux users on the Internet are only about as many as 9x users!

We're comrades in the digital battle with BLOAT!

If you choose to use BLOATWARE, I don't have a problem with that - however, it should be a CHOICE, not a RULE!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Maxthon seems to have discontinued their w9x friendly version (refered to as the ANSI version). All their installers contain the Unicode version which popup the silly message "This application takes benefits from unicode and cannot work under w95 amd w3.1"

Their website doesn't tell crap about that.

Actualy their installer is supposed to download and install the ANSI version but fails to do so and you are left with an install without exe file.

Edited by Fredledingue

Kaspersky Lab to discontinue technical support for version 6.0 home user products

http://www.kaspersky.com/news?id=207575667

Database update for version 6.0.2.621 (MP2) is still available after October 1, but the license key for 7.0 and 2009 is not backward compatible with 6.0.

Thanks for the info. I am still using the really old KAV v4.5 under Win98, the key is valid until 2010, I had no problems with a signature update today. In the info they did not mention v4.5, they only mentioned non-supported versions 6 after Oct.1, let's see whether v4.5 will still get signature updates after Oct.1 :unsure:

as a respond to chit-chat about Chrome i tested some new soft:

Opera Browser version 9.5

Still fully compatible with Windows 98SE (except one small error message regarding to msimg32.dll - fixed in a second)

Edited by Offler