Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
902 replies to this topic

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11
Virus and Spyware Scanners
$$$$ - Filseclab Twister AntiVirus 7.34.
$$$$ - Filseclab Internet Guardian Angel 3.6.
FREE - Filseclab Virut Removal Tool 2.1.0.477.

Firewalls
FREE - Filseclab Personal Firewall Standard Edition 2.5.
FREE - Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition 3.0.

http://www.filseclab...d/downloads.htm

Edited by UltimateSilence, 18 June 2012 - 12:02 AM.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07
Anyone tried to install the latest Opera 12 on a 98 system with KernelEx final?

When I click on check for updates I see that Opera 12 is ready for download and install, but I have refrained from doing so yet as 11.64 works fine at present.

EDIT,

Well I gave it a go, not by installing directly from the exe file but exactly the same way as I did for 11.64, this time however every time on executing the program a crash error reported about opera wrapper or something, but after hitting close on that error the program still opened, but the Flash that operates with 11.64 and is recognised by such doesn't work with Opera12.00

I may have kept it if it hadn't been for the Flash issue as my Flash works well on 11.64, so I eventually after a few attempts to fix it in the Opera 12.00 config then I deleted the data in the Opera 12.00 folder in program files where I created it, and also in the system folder where it is auto created on execution of the program itself.

Now if anyone has anyway of fixing these issues I will be very glad to hear it, otherwise I stick with the browsers I have on my profile.

Regards.

Edited by frogman, 18 June 2012 - 09:01 AM.

Windows 7 starter - Internet Explorer 11 - Google Chrome

North of Watford

North of Watford

Junior

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 12-October 07
I too think that we will have to settle with Opera 11.64 as the last that will work sensibly.

I am actually using Opera 12 to post this reply (Win98SE+KernelEx4.5.2), BUT there is much that is a pain:
- Plug-in wrapper crashes on launch
- default support from KernelEx shows web pages, but the menu system has largely vanished
- Windows 2000 SP4 support from KernelEx has the menu system, but only shows blank pages
- clearly compiled with a Windows 2000 or later compiler, it will not print (for all the reasons that have been discussed at length elsewhere.

All in all, Opera 12 seems to be a non-starter.

Jeff

PS If relevant, it was Opera-USB 12 that I unzipped to a suitable drive, and ran.

Edited by North of Watford, 20 June 2012 - 03:34 PM.

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11
Updaters
FREE - FileHippo Update Checker 1.036

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

Giant2011

Giant2011

• PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 05-June 11
Sumo: Software Update Monitor is still compatible with windows 98

Download at: http://www.kcsoftwar...ex.php?download

Greenpalmer

Greenpalmer

• 26 posts
  • Joined 02-October 11
The latest version of GOM Player 2.1.43.5119, released today, works beautifully under Win 98SE. IMHO it's the best video player still fully compatible with Win 98SE.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07
I'm looking for a decent freeware unlimited software that will convert .flv to mp4, and that doesn't lose any quality after conversion.

Must work with either windows 98 or be compatible with KernelEx mode.

I currently use WinX Free FLV to MP4 converter, but have noticed that it doesn't sync the video and audio too well.

EDIT

I found one that seems to be good for the syncing of Audio and Video, disabling KernelEx prior to installation worked for me, there was an error as I had the box ticked to launch the program right away, but this error doesn't show when clicking on the programs icon.

http://www.softpedia...Converter.shtml

Edited by frogman, 13 August 2012 - 12:05 PM.

Greenpalmer

Greenpalmer

• 26 posts
  • Joined 02-October 11
Hi frogman - if what you want to end up with is an mp4 format video from Youtube then you don't need a converter program as there are extensions for Opera that download Youtube videos as mp4 files.

Nomen

Nomen

• PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 07-July 12
I don't know to what extent anyone here is using (or trying to use) skype under win-98 - or if that's even a problem or issue these days with kernelEx. I thought I'd post some recent experience I had with it. Skype is not something I've ever used before, but on this win-98 computer I apparently did mess with it back in 2006 (version 2.5.0.141).

But because some relatives of mine recently wanted to start using skype on their home computers (win-XP) and because I have this old Skype icon on my desktop - I double-clicked it last week - and it seemed to work just fine (?!). I had nobody to talk to, but I did call the test account to see if my audio (speakers, mic) was working, and they were.

So yesterday I got skype working on a couple of my relative's XP systems (set up their account, downloaded the software, etc) and when I went back to my win-98 computer and started skype, it started but pretty quickly threw up a screen saying that I had to update my version because of a security issue. So I said ok, but the update process failed, leaving me with the old version still installed. So I unplugged my network connection, started skype (it starts just fine) and I set the auto-updated to disable. I then plug in the network cable and it seems to be working again. I call the new accounts I set up and it works, but when they try to call me, and I answer, skype crashes. So I read the following from this old msfn thread:

======
Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:16 AM
My addition is Skype. I have version 3.2.0.175 working very well, so long as I remember not to try video. Skype announce a version 1.4.x as the last to support Win98, but go on to say that later ones might work, they just give no guarantee.
======

Ok, so I download version 3.2.0.175 from somewhere (oldversion.com?) and it works fine (but I think I did have to set the KernelEx compatibility option to win-98 for the skype.exe program file). Even video works great. The people running XP that are calling me have a usb web-cam (I don't) and I can see them just fine. And they can call me and I can answer and it doesn't crash.

So I don't know if the current version of skype works on win-98 with KernelEx, but I can say that version 3.2.0.175 seems to work just fine - including receiving video from the caller.

Edited by Nomen, 19 August 2012 - 11:34 AM.

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Joined 20-August 12

Donator

A couple of good, free Win 9x Word Processors:

PolyEdit Lite
http://www.softpedia...Edit-Lite.shtml

Atlantis Nova
http://www.atlantisw...com/en/nova.htm

Crypt Edit
http://cryptedit.chat.ru/

Lastly, a cool image viewing program with batch conversion. Now freeware!

http://www.arcatapet...ware/imgv32.cfm

Controller

Controller

• 49 posts
  • Joined 09-April 05
ONGD - FREE Calaym from http://ctuser.net/?calaym

Should run on Windows 95 / NT3.51 and higher, up to Windows 7. The author is sure - but cannot guarantee - it will work on those Windows versions (Contact if you have any issues).

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Joined 20-August 12

Donator

The default installation settings for Calaym don't work for Windows 9x/Me. By default it selects the "FMod-Ex" runtime, but if you want it to work under Windows 9x you need to select "BASS" or the other "FMod" option.

At first I couldn't get the program to work. But then I reinstalled and chose a different option and now it works.

Overall, nice little program... I could do without all the cross fading and delayed endings for songs - but thankfully you can switch those options off!

As far as I know, Calaym, Trout, and XMPlay are the only current MP3 players for Win9x still being updated.

If anyone knows of any more, I'd be grateful to know.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07
As Opera 12.02 has not long been released I wonder if it would be possible to get this release to work alongside KernelEx the same as Opera 11.64 does?

I would love to work with Opera 12.02, but I have a feeling it lags on Windows 98 with KernelEx.

I believe that KernelEx is no longer being updated although I am not positive on this.

Giant2011

Giant2011

• PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 05-June 11
Hello there. Well there is much hope. I tested the portable version 12.02-1555 and it works very well also the plugins work. The Plugin wrapper has gone.
It works with kernelex on windows 98 se. And the official version of opera 12.02 is out so you can download it. But I speak here from the portable version.
I also installed the portable version of Opera 12.50.1497a, it works fine except there is the plugin wrapper again which makes it impossible to work with
plugins.

Greenpalmer

Greenpalmer

• 26 posts
  • Joined 02-October 11
Yes - Opera 12.02 seems to work well - use Kernelex in 2000 mode. It's the first since 11.64 that does, all down to removing the plugin wrapper. Probably the last so treasure it!

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Yes - Opera 12.02 seems to work well - use Kernelex in 2000 mode. It's the first since 11.64 that does, all down to removing the plugin wrapper. Probably the last so treasure it!

So does this version not work with plugins? also any chance you could supply the link here that I would use for version 12.02 ? just so I know I am using the correct one.

Is the version you used need anything special done to it, do I just go with the normal installation?

Edited by frogman, 30 August 2012 - 02:59 PM.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07
12.02 installed.

Edited by frogman, 30 August 2012 - 04:32 PM.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07
Anyone finding that not all scripts are downloading.

The alignment of some headers under the lifestyle section for example the header above Meet the men who ignite the Festival fireworks, is this a 12.02 issue, just me, or something will just need to accept.

I have tried the same using FF and no such issues.

http://www.scotsman.com/

Edited by frogman, 31 August 2012 - 07:50 AM.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07
Just curious if anyone has installed Opera 12.50 using 98? and does it have the plugin wrapper enabled?

Edited by frogman, 07 September 2012 - 07:29 AM.

Giant2011

Giant2011

• PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 05-June 11
I have the portable version of opera 12.50 installed and yes there is the plugin wrapper again.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

I have the portable version of opera 12.50 installed and yes there is the plugin wrapper again.

Think I shall just keep using the desktop version of 12.02 without the wrapper as it installed and works fine.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
I did some recent searching for working download links. These links will take you to the MSFN threads were the info is.

RegDat for Win9x ( and NT/2K/XP/Vista/7 ) is here.

RegCompact for Win9x is here.

They are getting much harder to find these days so grab the files while you can!

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 24 September 2012 - 04:23 PM.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

Giant2011

Giant2011

• PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 05-June 11
Fastcopy 2.11 still works with windows 98. It is really nice to copy large files. You can download it here:http://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 953 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Donator

CharlotteTheHarlot ... very glad you posted about RegDat again and the other older software that you mention from time to time. I missed your earlier post. Although I no longer work much with Win 98SE after deciding to switch earlier this year to XP, I still spend time here looking for any talk of older software programs that might also work with XP. I follow Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and XP, so it is very easy to miss a "little mention" here or there of a nice little program. That goes for everyone else here also, some older or maybe long forgotten program just might be something I (or others) can use in XP ... I'm glad when people do post about something for Windows 98SE that they also mention what other OSs it will also work with.

Giant2011 ... Fastcopy 2.11 that you just posted about, after CharlotteTheHarlot's post also works with Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/Vista/Win7, so I downloaded that also.

thanks ...

Edited by duffy98, 14 September 2012 - 04:20 AM.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07
Looking for a quality free version of a MP4 Joiner/merger, that will work with or without KernelEx.

Have used some previously that have had bad syncing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users