Install Windows on an old laptop Pentium II 233MHz

nestul

Win9x doesn't have any known security vulnerabilities?

If you make sensible decisions about what files you download onto your computer, Windows98 is unlikely to pick up any viruses or trojans.

But by just connecting Win2000 out of the box (no firewall) to the internet, I guarantee you'll get trojans installed without you having to even visit a website!

Note: This doesn't mean I don't recommend using a Firewall with Win98. Use one! (Hardware or Software)

Your OS choices with a 233mhz are definitely limited. You never mentioned how much RAM this laptop has. It will run a basic 98 box but don't expect to run anything particularly heavy on it. For standard internet usage, it will work. Check the vendors site for new drivers and software/firmware updates.

With such a low power system, your software choices are critical. The priority is efficient code and use of resources. Avoid using Microsoft products like Internet Explorer or WMP. Avoid Adobe Acrobat and combined security suites like Norton. Stay with single purpose programs, especially those related to security and privacy. Most AVs will be too heavy for that unit. Foxit PDF reader replaces Adobe quite well. For music, an old version of WinAmp is a good choice. I use 2.81. SeaMonkey is a lifesaver, especially with the available extensions.

The combination of Kerio 2.1.5, SSM free, and Proxomitron makes a formidable security package that uses far less resources than most AVs. I stopped using a resident AV 2 years ago and have never missed it. Properly configured, Kerio and Proxomitron will speed up the internet for you by blocking bandwidth wasting content. Eraser is worth getting just for its erasing scheduler. Keeps the buildup of temp files from happening, which always helps. Use version 5.7, not the latest one with a 98 box.

As long as you don't expect to multi-task, that laptop should get you by.

Rick

Edited by herbalist

You never mentioned how much RAM this laptop has.

Actually, he did, in the thread description. It has 160 MB, which is enough for decent multi-tasking and a modern web browser.

If you go for Windows 98, you can use WMP Classic instead of Microsoft's. On Windows 95, though, I find the official WMP 6.0 (or 6.1 if you can find it) to be best.

I use both Acrobat Reader 5.0 and Foxit Reader 1.3. Foxit Reader is a good reader, but at least on my machine, the printing support is broken, so I keep Acrobat Reader for that.

Proxomitron seems like an advanced edition of Adblock Plus, an extension for SeaMonkey, Firefox and K-Meleon. I don't see why one wouldn't just use Adblock Plus if (s)he doesn't need the advanced features of Proxomitron.

Years back when I tried AVG Free, it seemed very light on resources, even with the shield on. I don't know if it's still that way today.

Actually, he did, in the thread description. It has 160 MB, which is enough for decent multi-tasking and a modern web browser.

I missed that in the title. That's more RAM than I was expecting it to have. Having 160MB will definitely expand the list of what you can run. Available RAM matters much more than processor speed. I have several apps that supposedly want a minimum processor speed of 500 or 550mhz and run fine on 366mhz.

Proxomitron also gives the user the ability to change the user agent, referrer settings, limit connection times, and much more. The more a user dives in, the more they can do with it. For someone who likes working with rule based apps, Proxomitron is a tweakers dream. It also has the advantage of working with all browsers, not just FF and Sea Monkey. It's good protection for IE users.

I didn't know if AVG still supported 98 or not, or how much longer that support will last. Haven't used them in a long time. Never really cared for it. I stopped running a resident AV shortly after testing SSM and deciding it was more than sufficient as a primary defense. About the only time I use an AV is when I scan new incoming files. VirusTotal works as well as any installed AV for this. Either way, that's up to the individual user to decide what works for them.

Rick

The 40GB HD I was waiting has arrived :yes:

I have taken notes from your advises. This week I am quite busy, so I won't be able to start setting it up until november I think. I will keep this post updated for people interested.

Thank you. See you next week :hello:

• 2 months later...

Like the original poster, nestul, I'm interested in installing Windows 95 OSR2 on an old laptop. I'd like to use a PCMCIA cardbus card for WiFi internet access. I'm new to WiFi.

This is a long shot, but does anyone know of any wireless 32-bit PCMCIA cards (with available Win 95 drivers) that could do the job? I'd really like the card to use the 802.11g connection standard (or newer), rather than the old 802.11a/b standard, for two reasons: 1) 'g' has a faster maximum speed than the old 'a/b', and 2) I understand that although 802.11b can use WPA security, many 802.11b cards did not receive the necessary firmware update, and so in fact can't use WPA.

According to this thread there's a WiFi network card that works with Windows 95.

BenoitRen, thank you for the link. That card (Netgear MA401) uses the older 802.11b standard. I'll keep it in mind, but I'd prefer a 802.11g or newer. Do you know of any other cards?

I will keep this post updated for people interested.

Hi nestul. If you could post an update, that would be great. Thanks. :)

Finally, does anyone know if Win95 can even use 802.11g wireless cards, and WPA security?

Edited by bristols