Odd Networking Issue

JCE

Here's an interesting problem. About a month ago everything was working peachy-keen on our network, and within the last 2 weeks out of the blue the other 4 Windows machines on our network can see my computer but can't connect to it.

Here's our network setup:

5 computers (1 notebook and 3 desktops and 1 server workstation) all using XP MCE2005. (6 if you count our Apple G4)

3 computers are hardwired to the router.

2 computers are using wireless.

1 computer is a Dell Precision server (my computer--the one having the problems).

My machine (Dual P4 XEON server) is our main media server for the entire network, so you can imagine why I need the rest of the network to be able to connect to my machine and transfer files back and forth as well as stream audio/video. My machine can not only see everyone on the network but can send and copy files to/from them. But when the other 4 machines try to stream or copy files FROM my machine to THEIR machines they get this error. Problem is they have the correct permissions and the services are how they should be. I haven't changed anything but my computer description in the last 3 months to cause the problem. I'm sure I either missed something or Windows is taking a crap on me.

Things I've tried to remedy the issue:

Recheck services to ensure nothing's disabled/started. Good.

Recheck sharing permissions. Settings are as they should be. Good.

Run anti-virus and anti-spy/ad ware programs to ensure there isn't anything malicious at work. Good.

Reinstall network card drivers--in my case its integrated and Windows XP automatically detects it. Good.

Try another router. Infact I tried 3, all produce the same issue. Its not a router issue. Good.

Try another network card. I tried 2, one PCI wired and 1 USB WiFi. Its not my network card. Good.

I'm at a total loss as to what the problem is much less how to fix it short of a reinstall of MCE. I would prefer NOT to have to reinstall--but if that is my ONLY option I would do it. Does anyone have even a remote CLUE what my problem could be? I've run out of ideas and I need a fresh brain.

have you made any changes to user accounts?

The only thing I did was disable the Guest account, then turn it back on again. Could my TCPIP.SYS file be corrupted? And if so how do I restore it? I tried copying it in the dllcache and drivers folder--but the previous file put itself back upon restart.

Edited by JCE

I assume this is a local workgroup, not a domain, correct?

By default, workgroups use "simple" file sharing, AKA f'd up file sharing. Basically, when some other computer connects to your computer, it logs in as the guest account by default. So, if the guest account is disabled, then they can't connect to your computer. Note that there is a difference between turned off and disabled. Turned off just means they can't log on interactively, but in reality, the account is not disabled. It can - and will - still connect over the network. Disabled means it can't log on at ALL, even over the network. You can check whether it's disabled or not by opening the run box and typing lusrmgr.msc, then hitting ok. Click on the users folder, then find guest. If it's got a red x through it, it's disabled. If not, it's enabled.

I would recommend though that you don't use simple file sharing, because it's a pain. If you turn it off, then users connect to other computers as themselves, not as a guest, and additionally, you can disable the guest account safely and you can use the security tab on properties for files and folders to set permissions. I would highly recommend this, even though MS doesn't for some odd reason. Open an explorer window, click Tools > Folder options. Scroll down and uncheck "use simple file sharing (recommended)". Click OK. A reboot should get it all working, although a log-off log-on might suffice.

One question though. Why the heck are you running windows xp on a server when you could be running windows server... and then have a domain?

I assume this is a local workgroup, not a domain, correct?

Correct.

By default, workgroups use "simple" file sharing, AKA f'd up file sharing. Basically, when some other computer connects to your computer, it logs in as the guest account by default. So, if the guest account is disabled, then they can't connect to your computer. Note that there is a difference between turned off and disabled. Turned off just means they can't log on interactively, but in reality, the account is not disabled. It can - and will - still connect over the network. Disabled means it can't log on at ALL, even over the network. You can check whether it's disabled or not by opening the run box and typing lusrmgr.msc, then hitting ok. Click on the users folder, then find guest. If it's got a red x through it, it's disabled. If not, it's enabled.

That's good info to know. And my Guest account is enabled.

I would recommend though that you don't use simple file sharing, because it's a pain. If you turn it off, then users connect to other computers as themselves, not as a guest, and additionally, you can disable the guest account safely and you can use the security tab on properties for files and folders to set permissions. I would highly recommend this, even though MS doesn't for some odd reason. Open an explorer window, click Tools > Folder options. Scroll down and uncheck "use simple file sharing (recommended)". Click OK. A reboot should get it all working, although a log-off log-on might suffice.

I'll try this and see if it works. I'll edit my post afterwards.

One question though. Why the heck are you running windows xp on a server when you could be running windows server... and then have a domain?

I'm not running any sort of web server or anything hardcore enough to need Server 2003. I just prefer to run MCE, and considering I use my server to play games and the like I need better multi-media support. I've had bad luck with Server 2003 and driver support in the past. I ran Server 2003 for almost 2 years and loved it--now I don't feel I need it.

*edit*

Well the above didn't work. Any other ideas?

Edited by JCE

Can the computers see eachother at all - have you tried pinging one from the other?

to ping a computer:

open cmd.exe

type

ping ###.###.###.###

where the #'s represent the IP address of the computer. If you get a reply somewhat like this:

post-128497-1193431112_thumb.png

Showing replies, not errors like this:

post-128497-1193431218_thumb.png

Then the computers are connected over the network.

To get the IP address of a computer, open cmd.exe and type ipconfig /all. You should see your IP address somewhere down there.

Beyond that... I'm not sure what to say. I'll think about it.

Can the computers see eachother at all - have you tried pinging one from the other?

to ping a computer:

open cmd.exe

type

ping ###.###.###.###

where the #'s represent the IP address of the computer. If you get a reply somewhat like this:

post-128497-1193431112_thumb.png

Showing replies, not errors like this:

post-128497-1193431218_thumb.png

Then the computers are connected over the network.

To get the IP address of a computer, open cmd.exe and type ipconfig /all. You should see your IP address somewhere down there.

Beyond that... I'm not sure what to say. I'll think about it.

I pinged them right after I switched to the last of my routers and they all pinged perfect to and from the computer with the problems. When the other networked computers click on the Workgroup icon in the Windows Network tree they can see the problem machine but get this message when they click on the machine:

network_.png

I'm truely at a loss as to what is causing the problem. At least I'm not the only one having this issue--but it seems there isn't an actual fix since the solution from the MS Knowledgebase is completely rubbish.

Edited by JCE

have you tried going to start->run->'control userpasswords2'->advanced->manage passwords and remove all the stored password info on the machines trying to connect (not the server)

One machine has the .NET passport password stored (and nothing else) and the other has 1 password stored not related to the server machine. The server machine has no stored passwords at all...is that a problem?

no but if a machine had a password stored that was now incorrect (it wont store it until it works once) then windows will sometime connect using that information and return an access denied error instead of asking for credentials.

have you tried mapping the share to the server via loopback?

Start->Run->cmd->net use x: \\127.0.0.1\NAMEOFSHARE

try creating a new administrator level account user on the server called 'sharetest' and give it a password and then map a drive on the remote side using it

Start->Run->cmd->net use y: \\192.168.1.XXX\NAMEOFSHARE /user:sharetest /savecred and use sharetests password when prompted

if that fails, try adding sharetest to NAMEOFSHARE on both the share and security tabs of the share properties

I've been assuming that you are accessing the server but getting a legit 'access denied' error but since errors are not always what they seem, you might try troubleshooting it as though the PC isn't able to connect to the server and the 'access denied' error is leading us in the wrong direction

do you have a firewall running on the server?

is port 445 open for TCP and UDP locally on the server?

Start->Run->cmd->netstat /an

look for lines like

TCP	0.0.0.0:445			0.0.0.0:0			  LISTENING
UDP 0.0.0.0:445 *:*

is port 445 TCP accessible remotely by the client?

Start->Run->cmd->nmap.exe NAMEORIPOFSERVER -p T:445

Interesting ports on NAMEORIPOFSERVER:
PORT STATE SERVICE
445/tcp open microsoft-ds

If you haven't noticed by now, i'm just guessing but maybe well find something by tossing (somewhat)educated guesses at it

no but if a machine had a password stored that was now incorrect (it wont store it until it works once) then windows will sometime connect using that information and return an access denied error instead of asking for credentials.

have you tried mapping the share to the server via loopback?

Start->Run->cmd->net use x: \\127.0.0.1\NAMEOFSHARE

try creating a new administrator level account user on the server called 'sharetest' and give it a password and then map a drive on the remote side using it

Start->Run->cmd->net use y: \\192.168.1.XXX\NAMEOFSHARE /user:sharetest /savecred and use sharetests password when prompted

if that fails, try adding sharetest to NAMEOFSHARE on both the share and security tabs of the share properties

I've been assuming that you are accessing the server but getting a legit 'access denied' error but since errors are not always what they seem, you might try troubleshooting it as though the PC isn't able to connect to the server and the 'access denied' error is leading us in the wrong direction

do you have a firewall running on the server?

is port 445 open for TCP and UDP locally on the server?

Start->Run->cmd->netstat /an

look for lines like

TCP	0.0.0.0:445			0.0.0.0:0			  LISTENING
UDP 0.0.0.0:445 *:*

is port 445 TCP accessible remotely by the client?

Start->Run->cmd->nmap.exe NAMEORIPOFSERVER -p T:445

Interesting ports on NAMEORIPOFSERVER:
PORT STATE SERVICE
445/tcp open microsoft-ds

If you haven't noticed by now, i'm just guessing but maybe well find something by tossing (somewhat)educated guesses at it

Creating a new account and share didn't work. Everything appears to be as you quoted it. I'm really getting irritated that I am going to have to reinstall.

Edited by JCE

• 3 weeks later...