What should you know before considering a pc technician position?

foolios

I was wondering with all the things that are required for these jobs, certs, cis degrees, etc.

What should you really know to work on windows pc's? It seems like there is some kind of hidden language that is needed to be understood just to work with them, or geeks at the computer repair shops act like it.

Are there special tools inside of windows that you won't know about unless you are educated about them? What is it really?

Is it just a method? Is it a special toolkit?

I have looked for books that teach computer repair but they don't really seem to specify what one should really know about the O.S.

And I can't get my hands on an official MSCE book without taking a course at a technology center, paying out a few grand just to look at it's pages.

What gives, can someone enlighten me as to what that's all about?

What do these certified engineers know that we don't? What's inside the O.S. that is so mysterious?

Thanks in advance.

SO you wanna repair computers? Remember the most important rule:

End users lie a lot more frequently than log files. Red flag phrases are 'for no reason', 'it just started doing this' if you hear any of these thing from your end user, its usually best to just tune them out and check the log files (if no log file available, you may have to revert to listening) The End user doesn't need a reason to lie. They just do it

not to be confused with the first rule

<!-- ok attempting to be funny mode off -->

I was wondering with all the things that are required for these jobs, certs, cis degrees, etc.

I'd look at COMPTIAs A+ / N+ certifications

http://certification.comptia.org/

now before somebody come in here bashing comptia read the rest of what i have to say

and A+ certification will cost you $163.00 and if your already pretty knowledgable, you may not learn much but by the time your cert, you'll have better understanding of the field and whether you want to do that kinda thing everyday or find out if you want to go a slightly different direction. (ex: N+, CCNA)

What should you really know to work on windows PC's? It seems like there is some kind of hidden language that is needed to be understood just to work with them, or geeks at the computer repair shops act like it.

first question is a tough one because the best way is to 'learn by doing' just dive in (fix your PC, if its not broken, update it, tweak it, modify it) and remember Google is your friend.

and secondly, Computer repair shops these days are designed that way the more 'served' the customer feels, the more they are willing to pay for it. For some reason the majority of people would rather pay someone money then have to learn something by listening (even technician talks to them in 'plain english')

Are there special tools inside of windows that you won't know about unless you are educated about them? What is it really?

Is it just a method? Is it a special toolkit?

Well yes and no.

There are special tools 'hidden' in windows but they are too numerous to list, and those are just the ones that ship with windows there are thousands of 3rd party tools/utilities

I have looked for books that teach computer repair but they don't really seem to specify what one should really know about the O.S.

And I can't get my hands on an official MSCE book without taking a course at a technology center, paying out a few grand just to look at it's pages.

I have a few A+/MCSE/CCNA/CISSP books lying around my office that I loan out to students but i'm probably a long drive from you -I'd check with the IT dept / CIS teacher at your local school / college and see if they might loan you one of their old ones.

What do these certified engineers know that we don't? What's inside the O.S. that is so mysterious?

The answer to your first question is they are just normal people that put up with the academic process long enough to get a piece of paper that says they know what they are doing. Whether they actually do know what they are doing should be evaluated on an individual basis though because I've met people that have spent more time hanging diplomas than actually working on PCs that I wouldn't let touch any of my PCs. Those people wanted to get into a IT job for totally different reasons than I did. I got into an IT career because I wanted to find out how computers work and how to fix them when they don't. So I guess im still trying to figure out the answer to why people find these things mysterious because in my opinion they really aren't that mysterious.

... and remember Google is your friend. ...

Not only Google is your friend, you will find much information these days on wikipedia.org that is way more directly and effective then a Google search. Also don’t forget that MSFN.org always tries to help people to get on the right track if not solving there complete problem ;).

I like to add that a person that wants to know everything needs to be curious, active (not hysterical ;)) and not afraid to make mistakes or to try something new; no need to be smart, you will become smart in other peoples eyes :D.

I should say, as the folly of many a person involved in any computer technical field, remember that the majority of your time and success will not be in what you know or how well you can get a job done, but how well you can deal with people. In fact, dealing with people is going to be the major deciding factor to your success and failure (I know for what I did when I was working, I only actually exercised any computer tech knowledge maybe 5-10% of the hours I was there, the rest was people stuff and Dilbert hell).

So look within yourself and see if you can deal with that - in fact, see if you can watch a technician through a day or week, or find some stories online and see if YOU can deal with some of those things (along with the usual standard of complete cluelessness and idiocy) without saying an angry word, insult, put-down, etc, or going crazy with time. I know I could never do technical support because my tolerance for idiocy and crap is very low - that's something I know of myself. It'd be hard for me to not have a word to say when I go out and try to troubleshoot a "broken monitor" whose only problem is the one sitting a foot away from the keyboard not plugging it in when they moved the desk (real story! Luckily I wasn't the one to have to deal with it though).

Just keep in mind, the majority of your success will hinge on dealing with a sizable number of complete imbeciles. The question is "Can you do that?"

Edit: A great illustration of the people crap that goes all the way around - from what you shouldn't be as a tech to what idiots people are that have computer serviced in general (the Humber college idiots and the "journalists" that put this piece together).

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/10/03/geeks/

Edited by Glenn9999

Thanks for the replies all. It really changed my mindset on how I was picturing it.

I guess like anything, for example cars; the door squeaks but most don't realize that means the hinges are getting torn up and some grease being applied just might keep ya from needing to replace the door in a year. But we're not interested in that, so we don't make ourselves aware of it. I guess computer problems are kinda the same way, the way most users view them; they don't want to be aware of problems, they just want to use it and have it do its job.

Dealing with people is part of any service oriented position. I'll keep that in mind.

There's been a couple of occasions where I've looked over a tech's shoulder and I've seen him input some command and a gui pops up and he gets a lot of info about the system through that. That's what I was guessing the mcse taught you about, how to find those gui's and how to use them. Probably the log files mentioned.

Ok, I'm interested. What log files? How do you access them? What will they tell you?

EDIT: After watching the video.

When the tech says that he made a file can not be found error and said that it was an easy fix. How is that easy? What do you do when a file can't be found? If it's in windows, what's he gonna do, just go copy one and put it in? That works?

Or what about if the error happens at dos? It's only gonna cost $60? How do you do that so easily? Or better yet, how is it done?

Thanks again.

Edited by foolios

As for the software side of things, such as looking at system info and the like:

And for your logs... log on to an administrative account. Go to the run box and type eventvwr.exe. There you've got a ton of information. The application log has information entered by apps installed on your system. Security shows when who was logged on as well as other security-related logs. System shows system information - updates, services being started, etc. Very handy.

I was a PC Technician for 7 years in a service department. 50% of the job is "fixing" the user not the computer. They expect the computer to be doing something it doesn't, or to do it ina different way than it does. A lot of the time you are just explaining technology to the technically challenged. Problem solving (troubleshooting) skills are the the most needed skill in a PC Tech position. If you can't figure out how to troubleshoot and fix a problem all the tools in the world aren't going to help. I was a maintenance supervisor with an apartment complex before I became a PC Tech, I hadn't even touched Windows 95 yet and it had been out for a couple of years. But I was able to demonstrate good troubleshooting skills and the ability to figure it out which got me the job.

When the tech says that he made a file can not be found error and said that it was an easy fix. How is that easy? What do you do when a file can't be found? If it's in windows, what's he gonna do, just go copy one and put it in? That works?

Or what about if the error happens at dos? It's only gonna cost $60? How do you do that so easily? Or better yet, how is it done?

The big problem with that video was that you had the blind (the folks at Humber College) leading the blind (the folks putting together that "news" story). The biggest thing to remember about what was put before those techs is that people typically don't sabotage machines like they did.

With the first one (at the apartment), they sabotaged a RAM module, and disconnected the computer speaker (evidently) so the computer would not produce the telltale POST beeps. The problem with plugging any equipment into good equipment that is faulty (the RAM chip, or video card, or anything good into a faulty motherboard), is that you can damage the rest of the equipment. We don't know because we weren't told, but the motherboard on that computer could be damaged among other things for them attempting this sabotage.

Not to mention, the "but you can only get it for $25" garbage they were putting on there - they have no clue about how business operates.

And on the second computer, people typically don't sabotage Windows system files. For what most of them said, they were correct - effect (missing system file) doesn't happen without a typical cause (viruses?).

Like I said, you got a good dose of the crap that goes around on all sides (not excusing a couple of the techs they happened to find who WERE idiots), as well as a good lesson to be able to learn from (where is that crap in that video?). Chief among them is that stupid "advice" from the female Humber college teacher about fixing it by putting the disk in and doing a repair install. Okay, what of the patches, what if it's a different service pack, what of the files the person had on the computer, etc. Stupid move and it got broadcast all over Canada. Sadly enough, only a few people have better sense than that.

Again key: Better be able to deal with people at all stages of imbecility and like it, more than working on the computers.

I agree that often the end user will lie. So one thing i look for is how people handle this situation. The answer i'm usually looking for is something about easing the end users concern that they can "break" their system or something about encouraging clients to experiment with their systems. Either way, a good response has to do with encouraging the client to increase their knowledge. Getting the client to be comfortable is key to quickly determining a solution: "Well i did try to install some new ram"

So maybe the memory module isn't fully seated. Let's open it up and fix it. From what you told me about your other memory, you purchased the wrong type. While ddr2 is faster, it won't work in your current system. ( which reminds me? would you like us to look into a new system for you? Gotta get the suggestive sell/upsell part in )

Another important skill when doing PC work is knowing when you don't know what you're doing - you need to know where to look to find things you need assistance with, yes, but also knowing when you've reached your limits and need to search or ask others is just as important as implementation. Don't assume you can always "figure it out" easily, and definitely don't learn something new on the customer's dime if there's the possibility you could make things worse :).

Thanks for the replies.

What procedures do you use, what's the logical breakdown of troubleshooting a problem? A user calls me over to look at a system that they are having problems with.

1) Inquire about the problem

2) Observe the problem

3) Observe the user

4) Overview the system

5) Document the system and all issues

6) ?

7) ?

8) Begin .... ???

Thanks all.

I'm sure you'll get lots of responses here (and all good ones), but my personal approach to a problem is:

1. Gather basic information about the problem, like when did it start, what changes were made on or about that time, what steps do you take to make it happen exactly, etc.

2. See the problem first-hand, if possible - gather any and all data regarding the problem including error messages, Dr Watson or adplus dumps of the process crashing, hanging, or using high CPU (if that is what is happening), gathering event logs, hardware information, etc.

3. Search knowledge bases like the Microsoft KB, Google/Live Search, etc. for similar problems reported and fixes (eventid.net is your friend if you find something salient in the event logs)

4. Reduce the problem configuration to the bare minimum components necessary to reproduce the problem, if possible, to save from troubleshooting incorrectly if at all possible (run autoruns and shellexview to disable anything non-Microsoft, boot in safe mode or safe mode w/ networking, remove hardware not necessary to run the machine, reseat all cards and memory sticks, remove all USB/firewire peripherals, etc.)

It's a start :).

I'd say you can't really prepair to be a great technition. It is just by hands on experiance. People can tell you what to expect but you will still never be completley ready. You just need to know how to find the answer to the problems you are presented with. I agree google.com can be your best friend in the technition world. If you know how to search you can find the answer 85% of the time. You will never know everything. You will learn new things in the computer world almost everyday and computers will keep advancing faster than anyone can learn them.