Installing Vista Service Pack?

Legolash2o

I am currently not working on this until SP1 Final comes out... if needed. If anyone has any problems i.e. error messages then i will try and help.

--------------------------------------------------------

I will keep this as up-to-date as i can as new info is given/found, this info is currently for SP1 Beta as Final is not released yet.

Colour Key

Confirmed safe to remove - If SP1 installed fine then upload your preset so i make them green (You must have seen the Installation Complete Screen!)

Components which you have to keep to be able to install SP1

Firstly Thanks to... (I don't want all the credit lol :))

Nuhi, BlakByte, martingriffis & MFCK.

Contents

1. Safe to remove list

2. Need to keep

3. Error Messages

4. My Service Pack 1 Final thoughts

5. Invalid Entries/Errors after SP1 Installation & Fixes

1. Safe to remove -

Removed until SP1 Final is released

2. Need to Keep

Component

• - Network -
  • Windows Firewall
    - Services -
  • Internet Connection Sharing
  • Volume Shadow Copy
    - System -
  • BitLocker
  • System Restore

3. Error Messages

• 0x8007007e - System Restore
  • 0x8007FFFF - Volume Shadow Copy is disabled
  • 0x80070005 - Windows firewall & Internet Connection Sharing
  • 0x800F0826 - BitLocker
  • 0x80246007- Background Intelligence.... (BITS) - Just click try again
  • 0x800F081F - Stop Windows Update service, delete C:\Windows\Software Distribution Folder (the whole folder), restart Windows Update service and recheck for updates.
  • 0x80070002 - Just click 'Try Again'
  • 0x80070003 - Just click 'Try Again'
  • 0x80072F8F - Your Time/Date is incorrect

4. SP1 Final thoughts

I don't think you will have the invalid shortcut problems in SP1 Final as Windows Update only downloads what you need and have installed on the computer (around 50MB it think). SP1 Beta just updates everything and therefore brings back the invalid entries.

On next vLite, you might not need to keep BitLocker

5. Invalid Stuff & Fixes

Windows Search fully comes back when removed

Just Disable it in Services.msc

Windows Security Center returns (but doesn't work - service missing) - BlakByte

Delete system32wscapi.dll, wscsvc.dll & wscui.cpl to fix

Control Panel links

No solution submitted/found yet

Invalid stuff in Services.msc (cant retrieve descriptions & when pressing properties get MUI error - just new services & ones removed using vlite though)

No solution submitted/found yet

Dreamscene won't work - martingriffis

Note that Dreamscene will not install or run on Vista with SP1 beta installed, but is planned for SP1 final.

Registry Software wont work - MFCK

After the SP1 update, some of my registry software (registry snap, registry search & replace) cannot work properly (they read Wow6432Node in an infinite loop) due these lines added by SP1 in the registry :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Rpc]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Rpc\SecurityService]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IEXPLORE.EXE]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post your preset if it works OR doesn't work, thanks (for confirmation purposes) no need to post the drivers or languages removed though

Edited by legolash2o

Well done.

BitLocker hopefully fixed in next one, Firewall and ICS are known issue for certain hotfixes which I'm trying to take care of (if anyone knows how to disable Firewall Rule applying let me know).

System restore is solved, probably gonna keep that file by default.

VSS leaves as the only mistery so far.

Firewall Rule applying - i'll have a look into it, can you please tell me some more info about it to help save me some time lol. what is "Windows Firewall Authorization Filter" because its set to "Demand" and you can start/stop it too. "windows\system32\mpsdrv.sys" See pic below

Service Pack installs when both Firewall and ICS are disabled (and are still disabled after)

Microsoft are planning on releasing the updates seperatly so their is only one restart (the service pack), so when it comes to the final sp1 then some stuff might be safe to remove hopefully.

EDIT: I think there's just one more to find :) so defo hope SP1 Final is much less problematic, as windows boots and says it installed with "winver" but there is no Installation Complete/Successful screen and when i reboot it just continues installation the service pack and then there is a problem with no error message n just stays on Installing service pack, dont turn off comp crap. One time it did boot after and i got the message "You must reinstall windows to activate blah blah blah". its in system or services components.

So I've removed the safe to remove list and only accept them as safe if i see the Installation Complete/Successful or whatever screen it is. I have got a safe list stored in Notepad (lol) which i definitely know which are safe to remove but retesting with BlakByte's discoveries to be sure, quite alot of components in the safe list so far.

Update: Windows Firewall works when Internet Connection Sharing is disabled and is not even in Windows Firewall Dependancy list.

Edited by legolash2o

I don't have that driver, maybe SP1 or some hotfix installed it for you.

It's not the same to disable the service and to remove it. When disabled it still leaves the files and reg entries to be used. And wouldn't be surprised if loaded, to some degree.

Let me know if it works n upload your preset or just send on MSN if im online lol

EDIT: One of the untested is causing a problem, might be one of the "Network" or "Services" component

@Nuhi - Windows Firewall Auth Filter (above)

I dont have SP1 installed, removed everything in the safe list above, no drivers integrated or nothing... so must be computer based.

Edited by legolash2o

BitLocker hopefully fixed in next one, Firewall and ICS are known issue for certain hotfixes which I'm trying to take care of (if anyone knows how to disable Firewall Rule applying let me know).

System restore is solved, probably gonna keep that file by default.

VSS leaves as the only mistery so far.

Any News?

I've also noticed that when i mark a driver for deleteion and then unmark it (so the yes disappears) it will go ahead and remove it anyway, this ill probably need confirming

Edited by legolash2o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi legolash2o !

Installed v2.75_windows6.0_kb936330_x64.exe and worked fine for me on Vista x64 US.

No problems, copy of multiple small files is faster than ever.

Vista start faster and it seem that the NTFS file cache is used in an other maner than without SP1 (some operation are faster).

My PC :

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate

Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1, v.275 Build 6001

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name MFCK-PC

System Manufacturer System manufacturer

System Model System Product Name

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1219, 30/10/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Here are my presets :

; vLite preset file

[information]

Version = 1.1 beta on 2.0.50727.1416 Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1, v.275

Target = Windows Vista ULTIMATE 64-bit

[Compatibility]

[Components]

;# Accessories #

Mobility Center

Speech Support

Welcome Center

;# Drivers #

Display adapters

Modems

Printers-Apollo

Printers-Brother

Printers-Canon

Printers-Citizen

Printers-Dell

Printers-Diconix

Printers-Epson

Printers-Fuji Xerox

Printers-Fujitsu

Printers-Gestetner

Printers-IBM

Printers-Infotec

Printers-Konica

Printers-Konica Minolta

Printers-Kyocera Mita

Printers-Lanier

Printers-Lexmark

Printers-Minolta

Printers-Minolta-QMS

Printers-NEC

Printers-NRG

Printers-Oce

Printers-Oki

Printers-Okidata

Printers-Olivetti

Printers-Panasonic

Printers-QMS

Printers-Ricoh

Printers-Samsung

Printers-Savin

Printers-Seikosha

Printers-Sharp

Printers-Sony

Printers-Star

Printers-Tally

Printers-Tektronix

Printers-Wipro ePeripherals

Printers-Xerox

;# Games #

Premium Inbox Games

;# Hardware Support #

Fax Support

Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI)

;# Languages #

Japanese

Korean

Simplified Chinese

Traditional Chinese

;# Multimedia #

Media Center

Movie and DVD Maker

Sample Pictures

Wallpapers

;# Network #

MSN Installer

;# System #

BitLocker Drive Encryption

Microsoft Agent

Natural Language

Parental Controls

Tablet PC

Windows Easy Transfer

[Options]

UAC (User Account Control) = Disabled

Disable AntiSpyware Realtime Protection = Yes

Power scheme = High performance

Hibernation = Off

Show extensions for known file types = Yes

[Protection]

[Drivers]

E:\Software\Software\Drivers\ACPI ATK110\x64\AsAcpi.inf

E:\Software\Software\Drivers\AD1988\x64\ADIHdAud.inf

E:\Software\Software\Drivers\HID NoInputUser\x64\nuidfltr.inf

E:\Software\Software\Drivers\Other\VX-1000\driver64\vx1000\vx1000.inf

E:\Software\Software\Drivers\Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8056 based Ethernet Controller\x64\yk60x64.inf

E:\Software\Software\Drivers\Intel® 82801HR HH HO SATA AHCI Controller\x64new\iaahci.inf

[unattended]

SpecRegional

AcceptEULA

SkipNewUser

SkipProductKey

SkipAutoActivation

ProtectPC = 3

[Hotfixes]

[LanguagePacks]

Hi legolash2o !

Yes i've seen the 'Installation Complete' screen.

This install was completed after 30mn and multiple reboot.

NB: I'm not able to install the SP1 over the complete version (RTM X64 US) !!!???

I have always a strange BSOD !!

Thanks again for this post !

Note that Dreamscene will not install or run on Vista with SP1 beta installed, but is planned for SP1 final.

Thanks for the info, i can confirm that (not that it needed confirming) and have quoted it in the first post :) It does not work even when integrated :(

Installing SP1 over a clean, full Vista x64 :

At the final reboot i have a bsod and "Crah Dump" initialized.

If i try to reboot again i have always this error message.

Here there is no usefull info on the BSOD (only hexa-decimal numbers).

I cant reproduce this BSOD for the moment because i'm tired to reinstall, reinstall again and again !! lol

Another strange thing :

After the SP1 update, some of my registry software (registry snap, registry search & replace) cannot work properly (they read Wow6432Node in an infinite loop) due these lines added by SP1 in the registry :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Rpc]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Rpc\SecurityService]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IEXPLORE.EXE]

If i delete them all my registry software work well again, and Vista work like a charm without these lines !!

Edited by MFCK

Installing SP1 over a clean, full Vista x64 :

At the final reboot i have a bsod and "Crah Dump" initialized.

If i try to reboot again i have always this error message.

Here there is no usefull info on the BSOD (only hexa-decimal numbers).

I cant reproduce this BSOD for the moment because i'm tired to reinstall, reinstall again and again !! lol

hex numbers would of been fine, but no need to reinstall next time you do decide to reinstall just let me know, about the BSOD i dont know the error but someone else might, it might possibly be hardware related. but this topic is mainly for members who are using vlite and want to be able to install future service packs rather than having to reinstall.

Other strange thing :

Ok, added the info on the first post with " - MFCK" so users know you posted it and how to fix it, thanks :thumbup

Lego