Stop icons from rearranging

nloding

I'm not sure anything can be done, but I'm asking everywhere I can.

I have a Dell laptop for work, and a docking station at the office with a secondary monitor attached. When I undock, everything is fine. But if I place the laptop back in the dock, all the icons on my desktop are rearranged, randomly. It appears it's trying to use the external monitor as the primary for a brief second when booting. Same thing happens whether the laptop is on or off when I dock it.

Any ideas how to force it to use the laptop LCD as the primary always, no matter what?

You can try and use an old utility from PC-Magazine: WinTidy, which saves the position of each icon on the desktop and can rearrange them back if they move.

Download it from:

Download WinTidy

Do not try to get it from the PC-Magazine website, as they want you to register and they ask you for money to do it ! :realmad:

I wonder why, given that this is an old freeware, and I can remember that once downloading it was for free.

Edited by chandragor

I guess the problem comes from your external screen being lower resolution so all icons "out of the screen" are put back in. You you can find an icon arrengement that fits both screens resolutions or set the external to same resolution as the laptop. Unless your laptop has a wide screen ?