Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*
  • Guests

Thanks, but I don't really require to have the Nero CD-DVD Speed, all I want is to know that by inserting a new internal burner would work with Nero 6 and 98.

I am quite sure that CD/DVD burners are generic devices as seen by burning software and as such any CD/DVD burner you connect to your system will be compatible with your existing CD/DVD burning software. (Blue-ray is, I'm sure, a different story).

However, if you want to be completely sure, or want another opinion, I suggest you register with the Nero support forums and / or have a look here for more info:

http://forum.my.nero...hp?showforum=49

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Thanks, but I don't really require to have the Nero CD-DVD Speed, all I want is to know that by inserting a new internal burner would work with Nero 6 and 98.

I am quite sure that CD/DVD burners are generic devices as seen by burning software and as such any CD/DVD burner you connect to your system will be compatible with your existing CD/DVD burning software. (Blue-ray is, I'm sure, a different story).

However, if you want to be completely sure, or want another opinion, I suggest you register with the Nero support forums and / or have a look here for more info:

http://forum.my.nero...hp?showforum=49

Thanks, I think I have asked this over there, I will check and if I haven't then I will.

Regards
Windows 98 S.E - Opera 12.02 - Firefox 3.6.28 - Kernel-Ex 4.5.2 - Internet Explorer 6

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

OPTICAL DISK DRIVES:

Windows 9x natively supports IDE optical drives without additional drivers.
This includes CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD Dual Layer drives.

Does this mean I can go out and purchase a Dual Layer DVD/CD writer from today's models and it should function without problems on Windows 98 S.E?

If the answer is yes, which brands/models are recommended, not interested in blueray I hasten to add.
Windows 98 S.E - Opera 12.02 - Firefox 3.6.28 - Kernel-Ex 4.5.2 - Internet Explorer 6

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*
  • Guests

Does this mean I can go out and purchase a Dual Layer DVD/CD writer from today's models and it should function without problems on Windows 98 S.E? If the answer is yes, which brands/models are recommended, not interested in blueray I hasten to add.

I can't believe you're still asking this question. It's been said here a few times that IDE optical drives are generic devices as far as win-98 is concerned.

Look back a few posts (post #95 I think - April 15). I posted several models of IDE drives that are less then $30 or $35.

Have a look at this:

http://www.dabs.com/...k-oem-588K.html

Edited by wsxedcrfv, 01 May 2010 - 07:35 PM.

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 862 posts

Donator

wsxedcrfv .... just came across all the discussion on CD/DVD burners ... thanks for the info on several models and the tigerdirect.com link. Never heard of them, they have quite a few models of burners at very good prices. However, I am more interested in getting an External USB CD/DVD burner for my Win 98SE notebooks. I have been looking for sometime at Amazon and Buy.com but these new slim DVD burners don't seem to get many good reviews since they get power from a the USB hookup. I want to get an "older" larger type that also has a power adapter. I'm reading that some people have sent those slim USB burners back since they didn't burn all that good. Can the same be said for an External burner that it should work with Win 98SE, even if nothing is listed in the description or on the box. Here's a burner I found at TigerBay ....

http://www.tigerdire...91204&CatId=483

What are your thoughts about these models with external power? You seem to be in the know on burners ... or thoughts or ideas from anyone else on External burners for Win 98SE. thanks ...

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
Anyone know what happens if the disconnect option is unticked for a second DVD-ROM drive in the device manager properties settings on Windoze 98 of course.

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*
  • Guests

However, I am more interested in getting an External USB CD/DVD burner for my Win 98SE notebooks. I have been looking for sometime at Amazon and Buy.com but these new slim DVD burners don't seem to get many good reviews since they get power from a the USB hookup. I want to get an "older" larger type that also has a power adapter. I'm reading that some people have sent those slim USB burners back since they didn't burn all that good. What are your thoughts about these models with external power?

I have never owned an external drive of any type (hard drive or optical drive / burner) and can't ever imagine that I would ever own such a drive - especially an optical cd/DVD burner. If I ever kept the case of my PC's closed, I might get into the habit of connecting a naked SATA drive to an external SATA port every once in a while, but that's about it.

The performance and connector reliability of USB drives does not appeal to me at all, and since my desktop PC's always have at least one CD/DVD burner installed in them, I can't ever see the need for a USB-connected optical drive. Nor can I think of any ergonomic reasons why anyone with a desktop PC and a philips (cross) screwdriver would ever want an external USB optical drive vs internally-mounted IDE or SATA drive.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

I have never owned an external drive of any type (hard drive or optical drive / burner) and can't ever imagine that I would ever own such a drive - especially an optical cd/DVD burner. If I ever kept the case of my PC's closed, I might get into the habit of connecting a naked SATA drive to an external SATA port every once in a while, but that's about it.

The performance and connector reliability of USB drives does not appeal to me at all, and since my desktop PC's always have at least one CD/DVD burner installed in them, I can't ever see the need for a USB-connected optical drive. Nor can I think of any ergonomic reasons why anyone with a desktop PC and a philips (cross) screwdriver would ever want an external USB optical drive vs internally-mounted IDE or SATA drive.

I couldn't agree with you more. :thumbup

PeMo

PeMo
  • 1 posts

Intel Application Accelerator - Allows users to access the full capacity of hard drives that are larger than 137GB on supported Intel® chipsets with a supported operating system.
http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009299.htm
I'm afraid, this link is no longer available,
try this one instead: http://downloadcente...7&ProductID=663

Thanks! [PeMo]

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
I bought Kensington Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring recently. The USB trackball is recognized as wheel mouse by Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.12, and I can change the scroll rate without problem.

I disabled Pointer Acceleration because it causes weird mouse movement. Besides, Kensington's driver doesn't recognize the USB trackball.

Edited by halohalo, 05 May 2010 - 07:06 PM.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

MULTIMEDIA / INPUT DEVICES

MOUSE
Windows 9x natively supports most Mouses without additional drivers.

When I replaced my wired mouse due to click problems I thought it wise to purchase 2 of a similar brand being Technika, and I am glad I did as one of them I had to replace today as the scrolling wheel started behaving badly.

Question though, as it is 3 years since the quote I wondered if anyone could confirm that any current wired mouse available in the UK such as Technika available from Tesco as the current model doesn't mention 98 at all, would it work and be compatible with 98?

Also the Microsoft wired mouse states 98 so I presume the Technika would work also as it does just now even though it did state 98 at the time.

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
You can add to the the list the Toshiba 2805-s503 using the me drivers it works great for 98se. also the Microsoft MN720 wifi adapter it even has the software for 98 wifi support. works great i think it might have been designed for 98.

are thee drivers for the intel 855PM chipset? think i might have found some http://downloadfinde...p?ProductID=939

I think i might be able to get 98se to work on the the Tecra M2 as well.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
I'm looking for a wireless g mini pci card for my laptop for Win98SE.
Now, what I'm going to do is buy a wireless n mini pci first because I have a dell inspiron 1200 with Windows Xp.
So I'm thinking buy the N card first and try it out on Windows 98SE to see if it works by tweaking the INF or setup file. If not then I will just roll with the N card for WinXP and the G card for Win98SE. I need some help finding a
good G card just incase I don't get the N card working. Thanks

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Guest_macrylinda1_*

Guest_macrylinda1_*
  • Guests

OTHERS 2

Reserved for future use.

This thread would be better on a webpage, especially when it comes to organising.

You forgot about the timing problems which stop Windows 95 from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 350 Mhz, and Windows 98 FE (and consequently Win95) from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 2.2 Ghz.

Windows 95 does not support all gamepads. At least not USB gamepads.

Edited by dencorso, 19 October 2010 - 12:32 AM.

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

You forgot about the timing problems which stop Windows 95 from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 350 Mhz, and Windows 98 FE (and consequently Win95) from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 2.2 Ghz.

Windows 95 does not support all gamepads. At least not USB gamepads.

The Windows 95 Speed limitation has been resolved. Look for FIX95CPU on this Forum.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

kingofthespill

kingofthespill

• 15 posts
Networking

Belkin F5D5050 Networking USB to Ethernet Adaptor: tested and it works under Windows 98SE

seam

seam

• 10 posts
i bought this card hkd$85

VIA VT6130 PCI-E GIGABIT NETWORK CARD works under win98se

i haven't gigabit network switch to test,just testing 10baseT/100baseTX~

it using via.com.tw offcial driver(7-Aug-2008)

"Velocity Family Gigabit LAN driver version 3.1"

SAE140

SAE140

• 17 posts
Just stumbled on this thread as I've just bought 2x DVD±RW (±R DL) DVD burners - should arrive any day now - and I'm looking ahead.
Good to hear that they should work ok on Win98Lite/ Nero. One is a Toshiba SD-R5372 external (Freecom USB2), the other is an LG GSA-H10N with DVD-RAM capability - looking forward to trying that.

Couple of points - one reason to use USB-burners is simply a case of limited space. My workaday machines are Dell GX110's (whisper quiet) in low profile cases - easy enough to piggy-back 2 x 250Gb HDD's on the floor of each case, but there's only room for 1 x CD drive.

A second point is that no-one has yet mentioned the 2Gb filesize limit of Win98. Not normally a problem, but could well be if you ever wanted to burn DVD videos. (personally, I don't)

Lastly - to those whose burners have started to play up after a couple of hundred burns, or after a year or two - it might be worth opening-up the drive and giving the laser lens a wipe-over with a cotton-bud soaked in alcohol. There's certainly nothing to lose.

Edited by SAE140, 30 October 2010 - 04:17 AM.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

A second point is that no-one has yet mentioned the 2Gb filesize limit of Win98. Not normally a problem, but could well be if you ever wanted to burn DVD videos. (personally, I don't)

I have burned videos over 2Gb on win98 and never had a problem. The only time you would have a problem is when you are low in disc space on the hard drive.

Lastly - to those whose burners have started to play up after a couple of hundred burns, or after a year or two - it might be worth opening-up the drive and giving the laser lens a wipe-over with a cotton-bud soaked in alcohol. There's certainly nothing to lose.

Why would this be needed as the drive is enclosed and I wouldn't have thought that dust would be able to get into the lens.

I personally believe that when these drives give up it's time to get a new one, after all they are not that expensive.

SAE140

SAE140

• 17 posts

Why would this be needed as the drive is enclosed and I wouldn't have thought that dust would be able to get into the lens.

A Google for "clean DVD lens" returns 1,380,000 results. I wonder if you could be wrong ?

retro99

retro99
  • 7 posts
Creative Ectiva 5.1 PCI sound card (white box, cheap, sold in Japan and Asia and uses WDM driver model) is fully supported in Windows 98SE/Me. May stutter when playing back WMA files while performing processor-intensive tasks, but it also does this in 2k/XP.

Canon CanoScan LiDE 25 USB scanner is fully supported in Windows 98SE/Me. Works perfectly.

Fuji Xerox DocuPrint 203A laser printer is fully supported in Windows 98/Me.

BAFO Sil3512 (Silicon Image chip) SATA-I PCI card. Can hook up to two SATA drives. Has its own BIOS which is easily flashed. Works perfectly with 98SE/Me.

Shuttle AN35N-400 nForce 2 motherboard supports Windows 98SE/Me, however, it is unstable using nVidia's IDE driver on standard IDE hard drive. A workaround I've tested a few times confirms (for me) that it is perfectly stable in Win9x when using a SATA hard drive on the Sil3x12 SATA add-on card and not installing the nVidia IDE drivers.

IMHO, my previous ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP 8x card was less stable than nVidia GeForce4 MX440 64MB with AGP8x I am currently using. That said, the capacitors on the ATI card were bulging and leaking, so if that had been going on for a long time, that could have been the problem all along.

Regards,
Paul

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

A Google for "clean DVD lens" returns 1,380,000 results. I wonder if you could be wrong ?

You have got to remember that there are also DVD stand alone players/recorders, and as apossed to the internal DVD computer lens I still say there is less chance of cleaning being required

Just because there are loads of hits doesn't really mean to say that these products actually do any good, in fact some people think they can damage the lens.

vipejc

vipejc

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

You have got to remember that there are also DVD stand alone players/recorders, and as apossed to the internal DVD computer lens I still say there is less chance of cleaning being required

Just because there are loads of hits doesn't really mean to say that these products actually do any good, in fact some people think they can damage the lens.

You'd think that, but the drive isn't sealed airtight, so after years the dust will build up and circulate around inside the drive, eventually reaching the lens.

A quality lens-cleaning CD won't scratch the lens; the tiny brushes are super soft. Only buy one if you value the drive and don't mind gambling ten bucks. There's a very small chance it'll work.
There's no such thing as a dumb computer question. Each of us interprets info differently. - Me

scrapser

scrapser

• 23 posts
You can add CH Products Combatstick, FighterStick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals (all USB) devices to the list. I still have mine and have been using them since 1999. The Control Manager driver (downloaded from the Tech Support page on the CH Products website) is designed to work with all versions of Windows back to and including Windows 98. For Win98, the software is installed with all CH Products devices disconnected...reboot...then plug each device into a USB port and they will be recognized. Using WinXP and above, the software is installed after connecting all devices.

In addition, a good resource for tweaks and setup is the CH Hanger forums website.

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
Today, I came upon the Epson Stylus C88+ printer from Epson's current lineup. I checked the specs and whaddya know? It officially supports Windows 98SE/ME at this day and age! An active lineup printer no less! Unfortunately for me, it is a consumer level inkjet printer, which is not much of an improvement over my Epson Stylus Color 740 that I still own from 11 years ago.

Epson's website is out of stock, so it looks like the C88+ might be dropped out of the lineup very soon. The printer is still widely available. I should probably snap one up since the 740's ink cartridges are selling for very high prices. Two and a half of those and I have a brand spanking new C88+ complete with ink. This is probably one of the last modern printers to support 98SE/ME, if not the only one left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN