well i now tried the official dell driver but the setup did not detect the inf, same with the firegl v3100, i also tried to install the graphics as the ati 9600 because apparently it is near indentical to the ati x600 but that route did not work and now the laptop is really messed up lol. drive c and d are both using ms dos compatibility mode and regardless of going into safe mode to fix the resource conflict that the pci controller has, it makes no difference, it either will hang at the loading screen or if i dont touch the settings, remove the controller and go into windows, it will detect it and ask for reboot and still have the same problem. god windows 95 and 98 are a pain to work with .
i did mess with the graphics settings when first installing windows 98 for this dell latitude d810 laptop because it detected two and since i wanted the ati x600 only, and not for the other display adapter to conflict, i made it so that the adapter does not show in all hardware profiles through device manager and disabled it and from there, there was some other things i fiddled with and made it so that only one display adapter showed which by the hardware id, it came up as the mobility x600. so could it be that fiddling with the adapters possibly created problems in installation of the video driver? but like i said, i did check the hardware id and it came up as the mobility x600 so whats up?
my expertise and problem solving is limited so im most likely gonna have to reinstall the os as the easiest route at this point, but before then, is there anything i can know that could help me prevent the problems i've been having? also forget to mention, i limited the vcache to 0 for both min and maxfilecache and set maxphyspage=10000 for maximum compatibility, also installed chipset drivers and almost all official updates before the graphics driver problem.
also recently in my builds, i checked the esdi_506.pdr file and noticed it mentioning a lot of errors like cylinder mismatch, something to do with irq conflict and other stuff, all of these builds had 80 GB hard drives or larger and possibly pheonix bit shift bios which from what i researched could bring about the problems i experienced. i never had any of these issues with virtual memory disabling out of nowhere or weird problems with hard drives 40 GB and under when formatted at 31.5 GB or lower through fdisk in win95 or 98 because fdisk wont format 64 GB or higher, and when you try to set a fixed amount and not the maximum size, it just gives you a max of like 10750 megabytes or something like that and then shows the max size within the operating system. also i had no luck applying the fdisk patch for 64 GB or higher drives or the other update 243450 for large ide drives in w98se, the updates made no difference in solving any problems in my recent windows 98 builds.
the only easiest solution i would think of is to just buy or use computers with 60 GB hard drives or lower and format them to about 31 GB or lower in fdisk. and if necessary, apply the patches that i previously used and THEN put in secondary or other storage if needed, assuming there are no problems when doing that.
i also forgot to mention that i tried to use an alternative to fdisk called freedos to create a fixed amount from the 80 GB hard drive i used and although it created a 31 GB partition, i was not able to get windows 98 to setup after formatting the drive, giving an error.
Edited by cov3rt, Today, 06:08 PM.