Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

R4-III Upgrade Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)

This is an adapter which is inserted into the Nintendo DS. Into this adapter you can insert a micro SD or micro SDHC card with .nds files (=images of Nintendo DS games), and you can play the games, without the original Nintendo cartridge.

The .nds game files can be downloaded from the internet under any opsys, e.g. Win98, but must be transferred then from the HDD to the micro SD/SDHC card via a USB card reader. The micro SD card reader which is enclosed with the R4-III Upgrade works under WinXP, but NOT under Win98, no driver (the Windows 98 SE Generic USB Mass Storage Device Drivers v3.3 nusb33e.exe downloaded from http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/w...age-drivers.php did not work).

I purchased separately several USB SD card readers, until I got one which actually does work under Win98 (a hama 55310 v3, works with a micro SD/SDHC card plus a "microSD ==> SD adapter"). On www.hama.de they have listed separate drivers for v1 & v2, but nothing for v3; the driver for v1 worked, but not the one for v2. When you replace the WinXP card reader in the package, the R4-III Upgrade is fully compatible with Win98. The R4-III adapter is a link between 3 worlds: PC, mobile phone technology (micro SD card) & the Nintendo DS. On a 4GB micro SDHC chip there is space for about 50 different games, depending on their size.

The R4-III Upgrade is a killer piece of hardware. The mule has 25 packs of fully working .nds files, with 100 game cartridges per pack, about 60 GBs altogether, which take less than a week because the files are not rare, heavy downloads currently, about 100-200 sources each.

The R4-III http://www.r4dsl.net/ is a must for Nintendo DS gamers and a reason for getting an SDHC card reader for Win98. Probably the most appreciated Xmas gift in a long time, costs about EUR 35.

Addendum: The R4 adapter canNOT be found at ebay (there are exceptions: http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-PINK-...1QQcmdZViewItem ,another exception at ebay Spain, where r4 ds is not in the item title, http://cgi.ebay.es/para-nintendo-ds-mas-2g...1QQcmdZViewItem , also ebay Germany and ebay Spain make money selling sponsored links for "R4 DS" searches, without offering R4 DS themselves, e.g. sponsored links to http://www.dsflash.es/index.php?cPath=21_31 ). In the US there is for example an online store http://www.stuffs4kids.com/R4DS_Revolution_s/4.htm (only older versions?). In seaside resorts in Spain they are in the shop windows of many electronic stores. I guess it's Nintendo fighting for their life, just as if the music industry tried to prohibit mp3 players.

Edited by Multibooter

Buy the games you like.
You are absolutely right, I fully agree with you, but I don't even know how to use a Nintendo DS. My 13-year-old, however, told me he now doesn't need to buy any games anymore, and that he is just using backup copies :whistle: Edited by Multibooter

Win98 (not SE) was installed on Phenom X3 processor, motherboard Gigabyte GA-Ma770 DS3. But i had some errors during the setup, and i had no cursor on desktop, BUT IT WORKED!! ON SATA II DRIVE, WITH PCI-E 2.0 CARD and so on. Of course, I returned to XP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Rudolph Loew's 48-bit Patch - The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to provide direct support for hard drives larger than 137GB without requiring a controller card. The patch installs support for the 48-Bit LBA addressing mode required for hard drives larger than 137GB.

http://members.aol.com/rloew1/Programs/Patch137.htm

AOL terminated their web hosting service so I had to move my website to http://rloew1.no-ip.com.

DEFRAG and SCANDISK (in Windows Mode) are limited to less than 136.9GB Some people have reported limits as low as 127GB.

Windows ME SCANDISK and DEFRAG can be used in Windows 98 and have a limit of 1TiB.

There is a bug in the Windows 98, SE and ME FileSystems that under some conditions limits a Partition to 1TiB.

FDISK can be used to Partition Large Hard Drives but will incorrectly report sizes above 64GB. You will need to enter sizes as Percentages in order to use the full capacity of the Hard Drive.

The standard FDISK can be used in Percentage mode up to 512GiB. I haven't tested the updated version since it is buggy. I have a Partitioning Program that can handle 2TiB.

Windows 9x natively supports ATA IDE Hard Disk Drives. SCSI, SATA and RAID disk drives are supported through third party drivers.

Some Chipset based SATA controllers are recognized by Windows 9X as IDE drives. Windows 9X can support these SATA Controllers but a modified .INF file is required for proper operation.

FAT16 supports drive partitions up to 2 GB.

FAT16 partitions up to 4 GiB are supported but some programs will not work properly. With Patches, a FAT16 partition can be uo to 8GiB.

Edited by rloew

Let me add my 2 cents...

IMHO, it's too risky to use:

1) FAT-12 above 32 MiB (127 MiB is possible with patches), it's better to use FAT-16 instead.

2) FAT-16 above 2 GiB (8 GiB is possible with patches), it's better to use FAT-32 instead.

Otherwise, sooner or latter, some program will trash the partition, at the worst possible time (Murphy's Law).

Edited by dencorso

AOL terminated their web hosting service so I had to move my website...

The standard FDISK can be used in Percentage mode up to 512GiB. I haven't tested the updated version since it is buggy...

rloew, sorry to hear about AOL retiring hometown - looks like AOL have made a lot of people unhappy...

I've been using the updated FDISK for years - care to expand on what's buggy in it?

• 2 weeks later...

The HP Laserjet 6P works with everything from DOS to XP. Been running a refurb one since 1998 or 1999

The HP Laserjet 1012 works with 98SE and XP. Replaced my sisters 1012 with a older refurbished 6P as the 6P is more durable and will handle card stock.

The HP Photosmart 2610 All-In-One works with 98SE and XP

The HP Photosmart 375 (370 series) 4" x 6" printer works with 98SE and XP

The HP Photosmart 475 (470 series) 5" x 7" printer works with 98SE and XP

The Photosmart 2610, 375 & 475 all use the same series of ink cartridges.

The Epson Stylus Photo 785EPX works with 98SEand XP

The Epson Stylus Photo R260 works with 98SE and XP

The Epson Stylus Photo R1800 13" x 19" printer works with 98SE and XP

I believe the Stylus Photo R260 and R1800 are the last Epson photo printers with drivers for 98SE

The UMax Asrtra 2200 Scanner works with 98SE and has both USB and SCSI connections.

The Plustek OpticPro64+ Scanner works with 98SE and XP

The Plustek OpticFilm 7200 Scanner for 35mm slides works with 98SE and XP

• 2 weeks later...

The following Chipsets have Windows 9x Support:

Intel Chipsets:

925 (mobile)

G965

P965

Q963

Q965

FISR (Intel 865PE chipset)

MSI K9MM-V

Intel 900 Series with socket 775 MOB no longer supports Windows 98/ME/SE

Intel infinst_autol.exe or intelata_enu.exe did work winth Win 9X until 2006

When you try to install newer 9XX chipset.inf file today “infinst_autol.exe or intelata_enu.exe”, they refuse with “Operating System not supported” or even “rundll32 export failure” messages. If you carefully extract the file content to many of *.cat file level and examine them carefully. I see the $chicago$ headers and ‘donothing’ instructions within them. I am not even a coder but just a photographer and graphic artist, I can still see that Intel was influenced by somebody in the background. Perhaps one of software giants stopped Intel’s driver development team from releasing drivers suspected detrimental to the sales of new software campaign. The time and motivations seem to co-incide with discontinuation of innovative and altruistic Winternals projects from Texas. The Winternals was well capable of providing add-on component pack for Windows NT and Windows 9X at $29 (meaning such pack can appear on eBay for $4.99 range p&p inclusive) per seat to perform the today’s role of Windows XP platform (application compatibility wise) aside from ADS (alternative data stream) which I do not care for in any means. Games of software giants play are not as devastating as oil price schemes detrimental to the future economy of our country but it’s really something. Question of morale of the country strived on philosophy of freedom.

Pinecloud

Economic interest was not build into hardware enumeration hierarchy until 486 or even early P5. Pci/ven code started to appear in Windows registry after P5 era. Windows block device mapping has no logical relation to physical device mapping e.g., c0t0d0p0s:b (hba ID, target ID, disk ID, partition ID, slice ID) which makes more sense over Windows device vendor signature based mapping perhaps arising from its economic interests. Playing with pci/ven codes cut and paste using established models already running on Windows 9X and XP as reference guide at “Brutal Force Locksmith Method” eventually works because it has worked on setting up PCI-E video card. for me. Doing it on disk enumeration has much more threat of losing data. That is why I have not tried as hard.

The following Chipsets have Windows 9x Support:

Intel Chipsets:

925 (mobile)

G965

P965

Q963

Q965

Intel 900 Series with socket 775 MOB no longer supports Windows 98/ME/SE

Intel infinst_autol.exe or intelata_enu.exe did work winth Win 9X until 2006

When you try to install newer 9XX chipset.inf file today “infinst_autol.exe or intelata_enu.exe”, they refuse with “Operating System not supported” or even “rundll32 export failure” messages. If you carefully extract the file content to many of *.cat file level and examine them carefully. I see the $chicago$ headers and ‘donothing’ instructions within them. I am not even a coder but just a photographer and graphic artist, I can still see that Intel was influenced by somebody in the background. Perhaps one of software giants stopped Intel’s driver development team from releasing drivers suspected detrimental to the sales of new software campaign. The time and motivations seem to co-incide with discontinuation of innovative and altruistic Winternals projects from Texas. The Winternals was well capable of providing add-on component pack for Windows NT and Windows 9X at $29 (meaning such pack can appear on eBay for $4.99 range p&p inclusive) per seat to perform the today’s role of Windows XP platform (application compatibility wise) aside from ADS (alternative data stream) which I do not care for in any means. Games of software giants play are not as devastating as oil price schemes detrimental to the future economy of our country but it’s really something. Question of morale of the country strived on philosophy of freedom.

Pinecloud

Economic interest was not build into hardware enumeration hierarchy until 486 or even early P5. Pci/ven code started to appear in Windows registry after P5 era. Windows block device mapping has no logical relation to physical device mapping e.g., c0t0d0p0s:b (hba ID, target ID, disk ID, partition ID, slice ID) which makes more sense over Windows device vendor signature based mapping perhaps arising from its economic interests. Playing with pci/ven codes cut and paste using established models already running on Windows 9X and XP as reference guide at “Brutal Force Locksmith Method” eventually works because it has worked on setting up PCI-E video card. for me. Doing it on disk enumeration has much more threat of losing data. That is why I have not tried as hard.

The HP Laserjet 6P works with everything from DOS to XP. Been running a refurb one since 1998 or 1999

The HP Laserjet 1012 works with 98SE and XP. Replaced my sisters 1012 with a older refurbished 6P as the 6P is more durable and will handle card stock.

The HP Photosmart 2610 All-In-One works with 98SE and XP

The HP Photosmart 375 (370 series) 4" x 6" printer works with 98SE and XP

The HP Photosmart 475 (470 series) 5" x 7" printer works with 98SE and XP

The Photosmart 2610, 375 & 475 all use the same series of ink cartridges.

That may be the case, but if you don't already have the drivers for 9x, then you won't get them from HP anymore...

HP have pulled all 9x drivers from their website some time ago, although they left the Windows 3.x drivers!!! - Go figure???

So much for post sales support from HP!

The problem is that HP are in bed with M$, and when M$ say jump, HalfPie jumps!

Here's HP's official statement:

ALERT! Printer Driver Support for Windows 98/ME

Effective December 31, 2006 HP support for Windows 98/ME will end.

- No further support of the HP traditional print drivers for Windows 98/ME will be provided.

- No further development or enhancements of the printer drivers for Windows 98/ME will be completed.

- No support for defect resolution of the printer drivers for Windows 98/ME will be provided.

Effective June 30, 2007 all Windows 98/ME printer drivers will be removed from hp.com:

- HP’s licensing agreement with third-party providers granting use of their components will expire.

- Basic support for your HP product will be available through the use of prior printer or ‘legacy’ printer drivers.

Hewlett-Packard will provide Windows 98/ME drivers for a very limited number of HP LaserJet low-end printers introduced Spring and Fall 2006.

HP's currently available drivers for Windows 2000 and later are the recommended drivers for all supported HP printers from January 1, 2007 forward.

Background

Microsoft discontinued Windows 98/ME shipments in June 2002/2003 respectively.

HP’s Windows 98/ME driver discontinuance is directly related to the fact that there is no longer Microsoft resources allocated to issue management.

Blah, blah, blah, yes Microsoft, as you wish Microsoft, of course I'll jump over that really large cliff Microsoft...

Epson on the other hand still produce 9x drivers for their consumer printer range, and you will always be able to download existing drivers!

I've always had Epson printers since the earliest dot matrix days.

Go Epson! :)

There's always the MS win98SE CD to fall back on - it contains a lot of drivers for HP printers, including Laserjet.

The newer Laserjets which *aren't* on the win98SE CD, *may* be driven quite successfully by an older win98SE Laserjet printer driver since the family is software compatible to a large degree. There's an interesting discussion about this topic here, which includes some more background as to why HP pulled win98Se support.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums...hreadId=1173447

• 3 months later...
dencorso Posted Nov 13 2008, 12:39 AM

Let me add my 2 cents...

IMHO, it's too risky to use:

1) FAT-12 above 32 MiB (127 MiB is possible with patches), it's better to use FAT-16 instead.

2) FAT-16 above 2 GiB (8 GiB is possible with patches), it's better to use FAT-32 instead.

Otherwise, sooner or latter, some program will trash the partition, at the worst possible time (Murphy's Law).

Generally that would be true but there are exceptions. Sometimes there is no choice as to which FAT type you can use. I used a 4GiB FAT-16 formatted CF card in my camera which does not recognize FAT-32. Crashing is unlikely as the biggest problem seems to be Programs treating the Partition as having zero size.

Windows NT supported 4GiB FAT-16 Partitions. Only >4GiB FAT-16 Partitions require Patches.

AOL terminated their web hosting service so I had to move my website...

The standard FDISK can be used in Percentage mode up to 512GiB. I haven't tested the updated version since it is buggy...

rloew, sorry to hear about AOL retiring hometown - looks like AOL have made a lot of people unhappy...

I've been using the updated FDISK for years - care to expand on what's buggy in it?

The upgraded FDISK was not adequately debugged. If you use it to create a small Partition in the first 8GiB, it may produce a corrupt entry if an odd number of cylinders are assigned to the partition.

Edited by rloew