SmoothText 1.1.8

WildBill

Woot!

A few problems with Chinese fonts. Even XP's ClearType has enough problems with it. So I recommend adding Asian fonts into the exclusion list by default.

Either it's just my computer's slowness, or SmoothText causes more flicker in long lists and quickly updated text than usual...

There's definitely still a slowdown bug that I'm working on fixing. I've narrowed it down to my double buffer and I think it's because the buffer grows over time to accommodate text. I'm testing a fix right now, but I won't know if it works for a little while.

I've made some more optimizations, and I think I have the slowdown issues licked. Its hellaciously fast, now. One annoyance is that the taskbar font bug is still occasionally rearing its head, though not nearly as often now. That's something I'll have to tackle going forward. Anyhow, version 0.6.1 is posted, and it downright blazes.

Word and Powerpoint are zooming along much faster :D

Have you ever noticed that in the MSFN forum, when the mouse hovers over a member name on the left column, the entire page shifts slightly? Doesn't show up anywhere else that I know of...

Also, scrolling the text input cursor by arrow keys leaves trails... Is it trying to smooth that one pixel line? :blink:

I haven't seen any shift in Firefox...what browser are you using?

You might be right about the cursor. Maybe I need to research it and turn the cursor off before painting and on afterward? I'll have to look into it.

On a better note, in my test version I have menu text being smoothed nicely, now, with the exception of top-level menu bars. Tomorrow I'll take a look to see if I can get that smoothing as well.

The pop-up menu fonts are going crazy... it unsmoothes entries that I hover over, and leaves a few pixels.

screenshot

Other than that, things seem faster... What painting bug was re-introduced in 0.6.2? Didn't notice anything.

EDIT: Some menus are showing up blank until hovered over. Not present in 0.6.2 (last version I kept)

Edited by Colonel O'Neill

I've posted version 0.6.7, which should have some really solid menu code. I'm even using double-buffering there, so there should be no glitches. Let me know what you think. Text painting should also be a bit faster overall for everything.

The painting bugs were really obscure. If I really beat on Delphi, for instance, it would eventually freeze. I haven't had that happen again, but for instance, the FireFox 3 setup program freezes at a certain point (which I can at least easily reproduce). I've narrowed it down to when I override buttons, but I don't know why yet.

Edited by WildBill

True the painting bugs on menu's are fixed... but only when the mouse is not moving.

If you move the mouse really quickly across the menu, you'll see that the text will "jump out at you". Granted this is the same behavior as before, although in 0.6.6 it left the reminants of the text. Now, it doesn't.

Given it's kind of hard to screenshot something that only appears while in motion... I hope I've explained it well enough...

It's not interfering with anything, just kind of an eyesore.