SmoothText 1.1.8

WildBill

On Extras, do you have Override Standard Controls" checked? When you click Configure, what do you have checked in the popup?

Yes, I do. I've checked all of the settings except "force desktop text color".

Hmm. Under the folder where you have SmoothText installed, is there a Skins folder with the skin .ini files there? Is there a Skins\Uber folder containing the skin images?

Only Uber, Dark Star, and Neptunium will work out of the box. You'll have to supply the images for the others since I didn't create those (those are WB skins that I happen to like).

On another note, I've started working on supporting alpha-blended window borders. It's very buggy and not ready for prime time, but I've made rapid progress in the last 24 hours.

Only Uber, Dark Star, and Neptunium will work out of the box. You'll have to supply the images for the others since I didn't create those (those are WB skins that I happen to like).

On another note, I've started working on supporting alpha-blended window borders. It's very buggy and not ready for prime time, but I've made rapid progress in the last 24 hours.

Oh. That explains why the others didn't work :rolleyes:

Anyway, great work, I love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Uploaded version 1.1.0 tonight. Some small improvements and fixes...

Have started using using ver. 1.1.0

Very happy with the results especially in Firefox.

I have a 24" 1920X1080 LCD monitor on which the native win2K text was very hard on the eyes. SmoothText has made a huge improvement. Well done WildBill.

p.s. for those using the same 1080p format, I found the following configuration setting worked best:

Width bias full scale wide

Energy distribution 5

Thanks again. Great work.

Thanks for the compliments! I find that I can't live without it when I'm surfing the web. There's still a lot of room for improvement, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I've posted a new version that (for me, at least) has a major improvement. Now Courier New should look a lot better, which makes SmoothText finally usable when coding.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wildbill

I've started developing a SmoothText theme, with the Uber theme as a starting point, but I've ran into some problems:

* There are white lines on the window borders. Parts of them are also missing.

* The taskbar is always double sized.

* System tray icons are below the clock, and can only be accessed with a 3x taskbar height.

* Resizing the taskbar sometimes makes the system crash.

This is how it looks like:

smoothtextbug1.jpg

The theme can be downloaded http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/Svenne_the_Blockhead/smoothtextbug1.jpg"]here. I'd really appreciate if you could tell me what I did wrong.

Sure. Can you post a link?

One thing to check is the TaskbarHeight setting. For example, this is in the Uber skin:

[METRICS]

ClockWidth=80

ClockHeight=0

ClockSizeUnits=Pixels

TaskbarHeight=40

StartButtonXOfs=0

StartButtonYOfs=1

MultilineTaskText=1

CaptionMinLeftInset=7

CaptionMinRightInset=7

CaptionIconInset=6

CaptionIconLinked=1

The taskbar image height in Uber is 46 pixels, so in this example we want 46 pixels visible. The taskbar window itself is 48 pixels wide: the bottom 2 pixels are offscreen, but we don't want to waste the image on anything that isn't visible. However, assuming a standard 4-pixel border thickness, if we exclude the top and bottom borders from the taskbar, that gives 48-8=40 pixels. So in the Uber case, TaskbarHeight=40 means that we want the client portion of the taskbar to be 40 pixels wide. This probably sounds strange that the setting is for the client thickness instead of the overall window thickness, but the setting also determines how much the taskbar grows by when you drag the border to have multiple rows. In this case, it grows 40 pixels at a time, so the Uber taskbar thickness is always 40*rows+8, where the extra 8 pixels are from the top and bottom borders. Remember, though, that the bottom 2 pixels are always offscreen, so your image should not cover those pixels.

Let's try another example. If your taskbar image is, say, 31 pixels high, then it corresponds to a taskbar window that is really 33 pixels high (the bottom two pixels are offscreen). Take 8 off that to remove the top and bottom borders and you get 25. So in this case the setting should be TaskbarHeight=25 to cause the taskbar to grow 25 pixels at a time. Basically, the setting is the image height minus 6 pixels. (forget all this...I'm having a brain-dead moment. The setting is the total visual thickness...so if you want to see 20 pixels, set it to 20).

Now that the skinning engine is getting pretty powerful, SmoothText is really hurting for some comprehensive documentation. Does anyone want to volunteer to write some? ;)

I'd probably need a link to your theme to try to figure out what's wrong with the window borders.

As a status update, the next version will have improved support for alpha-blended window borders. I can't promise perfection, but in the last couple of days I've really improved its behavior.

Edited by WildBill