Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SmoothText 1.1.8

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
LOL, just when I thought I couldn't make it any faster, I made it just a little bit more efficient. As usual, I've edited the top post with a description and updated download link to version 0.2.6.

It also looks like disabled text in Explorer toolbars is fixed now, and the MS Word left-margin ruler. I'm not entirely sure what I did to fix it, but I suspect it's that the SSE2 and MMX code isn't forcing a 0FFh alpha value anymore but is simply using what was already there.

Edited by WildBill, 08 October 2008 - 07:20 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

smayer97

smayer97
  • 4 posts
Does now work with MS Office XP (Word 2002). The entire documents get messed up. No Font displays correctly at all.

Also, though works well with Netscape 9, slows down scrolling significantly.

(using MS Windows 2000 Pro on IBM Thinkpad T23 - 1.2 GHz with 1GB RAM).

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Hmm. I only have Office 2000. Can you post a small screenshot so I can see what's going on? Also, what kind of CPU do you have? That would help me narrow it down a bit so I know whether to look at the MMX, SSE2, etc. code.

Edited by WildBill, 09 October 2008 - 08:04 PM.

smayer97

smayer97
  • 4 posts
I'd like to post a screen shot but I cannot figure out how to get it below 200MB size.

Let me know another way to get you the screenshots

System Info:
System Information report written at: 10/10/2008 12:09:44 PM
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MAYER-IBM-T23
System Manufacturer IBM
System Model 26473U5
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~1198 Mhz
BIOS Version Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Locale United States
User Name MAYER-IBM-T23\SMAYER
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,047,536 KB
Available Physical Memory 678,304 KB
Total Virtual Memory 2,780,192 KB
Available Virtual Memory 2,109,304 KB
Page File Space 1,732,656 KB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

smayer97

smayer97
  • 4 posts
Noticed a couple more problems:

1. Cursor lags text being typed as it gets further to right in a text box like the one I'm typing this message in. Also the text kind of disappears "into" the cursor (and I do not actually see the text being typed the further to the right I goe, i.e. text to the right of the cursor does not show up.at all but it is thereif if I try to edit it.
2. Also sometimes crashes if I try to scroll Netscape with my built-in Trackpoinnt

Edited by smayer97, 10 October 2008 - 10:28 AM.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Uploaded version 0.2.7 and edited the top post. Smayer97: it looks like you have a Pentium III, which would include SSE support. I've made some changes to the SSE code that might help. It's hard for me to tell without a screenshot (maybe exporting it as .PNG would cut the size down for you), but I've tested it on a 1.2GHz Pentium-III-Mobile laptop and it works.

Edited by WildBill, 10 October 2008 - 11:50 PM.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Another day, another update. Posted version 0.2.8 today and edited the top post. This seems to fix a lot of problems that crop up where the vertical height of a font is way off (usually way too large).

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
New update posted: 0.2.9 (see top post for the download link). This should fix problems with Office XP and Office 2003.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Uploaded SmoothText 0.3.0 (see top post). This has some fixes and nice new features.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
I saw some weirdness where Firefox 3.0 was crashing on loading, and I narrowed it down to the code that reads the registry settings. I made a minor change to the code to try to protect it from any problems and uploaded version 0.3.1. See the top post for the download link...

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Posted version 0.3.2 and edited the top post with the new download link. This fixes a visual bug where text would be chopped if you were in Windows Explorer and were scrolling the window while in Thumbnail View.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Uploaded version 0.3.3 and edited the top post again. This version has some nice fixes and an important new feature.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Found a speed problem in 0.3.3 and had to make a small change. Sorry for the rapid version change (minutes), but decided that this had to be fixed immediately. See the top post for version 0.3.4.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Uploaded version 0.3.5 and edited the top post. This version runs quite a lot faster.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Uploaded version 0.3.6 and edited the top post. This should fix some speed issues.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Uploaded version 0.3.7 and edited the top post. Was seeing some weird slowdowns after several hours of usage, and spotted a bug that *might* have been the culprit. In several hours since the problem hasn't come back, so hopefully that fixed it.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Uploaded SmoothText 0.3.8 and edited the top post. This fixes several issues and adds some more flexibility.

smayer97

smayer97
  • 4 posts
Took me a while to get around to it but finally tested the updated version (0.3.8) with MS Office 2003.
Works fine with it now! Thx for that one :-D

BUT, I still have Navigator crash on me when I am scrolling. If I scroll up and down a few times fast (like if I a scanning and searching for something), it crashes with a memory cannot be read error and some memory addresses.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Uploaded version 0.3.9 and edited the top post. The program has undergone a massive overhaul and is way, way better than before (see top post for details). I advise anyone who uses this to grab the latest version.

Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
Excellent work on SmoothText... Been using it since 0.3.8 :thumbup:
Co-operates well with everything except Powerpoint, lots of lag rendering slides. (Maybe my computer's getting old, heh.)
Also induces some text glitches in OpenGL and D3D proggies, but when the action starts, I don't think anyone notices subpixel aliasing :P

Just like to say theres still a problem in Notepad with non-monospace fonts... Especially when there's a giant line of thin letters (lowercase i and l). :whistle:

Also, with SmoothText 0.3.8, all of my menus and buttons were skinned because of WindowBlinds, which in turn somehow passed all of the text through SmoothText. :)

Thanks again :D
T400: 7x86
X100e: 7x86, 2008R2 (in progress), 2000 (in progress).

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Glad to hear that you like it. I tried Notepad with an Arial font and it seems to be working fine. Can you give me more details?

I uploaded version 0.4.0 tonight and edited the top post. This should have much better performance.

Edited by WildBill, 25 December 2008 - 12:40 AM.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Had to put up an emergency update, version 0.4.1. Please see the top post for details. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Targaff

Targaff

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
It's been a few versions since I tried this, but I just installed it on the old laptop and it's much improved; I'm impressed.

I do have an issue with desktop icon text being clipped, however; is that a known issue?

Edited by Targaff, 25 December 2008 - 02:45 AM.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
I haven't seen desktop text clipped...can anyone else chime in? Have you tried right-clicking and selecting 'Refresh'?

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Uploaded version 0.4.2 and edited the top post. Just a couple of mild refinements, but nice to have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN