Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SmoothText 1.1.8

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Version 0.5.3 is now posted, with a minor bugfix.

That's amazing that it works on XP, though I have to wonder why anyone would want to use it on XP since it already has ClearType. Neat, though, anyway.

Edited by WildBill, 19 January 2009 - 08:25 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
Awesomeness. My Taskbar is replaced by ObjectBar, so it's all good.

Too bad TClock3 fails to work on my computer... It walks the tightrope and usually falls off. :(
T400: 7x86
X100e: 7x86, 2008R2 (in progress), 2000 (in progress).

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
I've fixed a major bug in TClock3 tonight and I'm running it right now. Hopefully I'll be able to release a new version soon, but I first have to port a lot of SmoothText bugfixes back to it and fix some other issues.

Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
You could always seperate the TClock3 and SmoothText aspects.
Or distribute them together but run them as seperate programs?

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Version 0.5.4 is posted, which has some nice fixes and internal improvements.

There are both benefits and drawbacks to having skinning in TClock3 and antialiasing in SmoothText. I'm a little on the fence as to whether they should be combined. At any rate, TClock3 development is continuing; I'm currently cleaning up a LOT of code, and then I have to nail down a few more bugs.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Gah. I introduced a bug in calculating text height in version 0.5.4, so here is version 0.5.5. Sorry about that.

Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
Everything's A-Okay. :)

A while back I had an exception error involving TextHook.dll, didn't bother to keep it. The thing is, the whole program stayed running and didn't crash. :P

Looks almost exactly like XP's ClearType, excellent work!

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
I'm testing 0.5.6 right now. Maybe I'll release it tomorrow. I ran across some thread contention issues in 0.5.5 and had to redesign some parts of it (nothing that should cause a crash, but it wasn't strictly correct).

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Version 0.5.6 is posted, which should be more reliable.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Sorry for the rapid update to version 0.5.7, but this was too good not to share. The unbounded nature of the text-size cache was causing real performance issues. I've implemented an LRU caching scheme and a cache limit of 512 strings. The result is a performance boost from the cache (as long as you don't go over it) but also a limit to the impact of using it. Overall, performance should be much better in normal use.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
All day I had planned to work on TClock3, but it turned out that I had to work on SmoothText first :whistle:

Version 0.5.8 is posted, and in some ways it's a huge improvement. I'm getting blazing speed in Firefox now :rolleyes:

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
I really, really hate obscure bugs :realmad:

Version 0.5.9 is posted, which fixes a really hard-to-find bug in the caching code that was causing the cache to become corrupted.

Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
Bleh. Something in 0.5.9 made Times New Roman look like it gained a couple pixels of width. It looks nothing like the original font. Not present in 0.5.7. Speed-ups are noticeable with 0.5.9.

The SmoothText list box text reverts to non-smoothed when clicked (certain conditions) and don't return to smoothed until it is hovered over.

The checkmark option doesn't unhook all processes... It's be nice if toggling smoothing was as easy as clicking the tray icon. :whistle:

Great improvements but at the moment I am sticking to 0.5.7 because the wide Times New Roman makes my head spin with all of the documents I have to write for school.

EDIT: Never mind, I forgot to restart Word. Times New Roman looks normal now. :P

Edited by Colonel O'Neill, 03 February 2009 - 09:20 PM.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
That's great. I definitely need testers, LOL

Please let me know if you run into any issues. I've made some more slight optimizations for 0.6.0 (and simplified some code), but I'd like to sit on it for at least a few days to see if any issues crop up before I release it.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Version 0.6.0 is now posted. I've really tried to hyper-optimize the caching to try to maximize speed, and I've made a couple of small improvements.

Enjoy...

Edited by WildBill, 07 February 2009 - 09:33 PM.

Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
Woot!

A few problems with Chinese fonts. Even XP's ClearType has enough problems with it. So I recommend adding Asian fonts into the exclusion list by default.

Either it's just my computer's slowness, or SmoothText causes more flicker in long lists and quickly updated text than usual...

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
There's definitely still a slowdown bug that I'm working on fixing. I've narrowed it down to my double buffer and I think it's because the buffer grows over time to accommodate text. I'm testing a fix right now, but I won't know if it works for a little while.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
I've made some more optimizations, and I think I have the slowdown issues licked. Its hellaciously fast, now. One annoyance is that the taskbar font bug is still occasionally rearing its head, though not nearly as often now. That's something I'll have to tackle going forward. Anyhow, version 0.6.1 is posted, and it downright blazes.

Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
It's so much faster now; SYSTEM32 loads almost instantaneously now :)

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
I'm glad to hear it. I've posted version 0.6.2 tonight, which should fix some painting issues.

Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
Word and Powerpoint are zooming along much faster :D

Have you ever noticed that in the MSFN forum, when the mouse hovers over a member name on the left column, the entire page shifts slightly? Doesn't show up anywhere else that I know of...

Also, scrolling the text input cursor by arrow keys leaves trails... Is it trying to smooth that one pixel line? :blink:

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
I haven't seen any shift in Firefox...what browser are you using?

You might be right about the cursor. Maybe I need to research it and turn the cursor off before painting and on afterward? I'll have to look into it.

On a better note, in my test version I have menu text being smoothed nicely, now, with the exception of top-level menu bars. Tomorrow I'll take a look to see if I can get that smoothing as well.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Version 0.6.3 is now posted, which can smooth text on pop-up and drop-down menus, but not top-level menu bars. One step at a time...

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Here is version 0.6.4, with some small improvements. Enjoy...

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Sorry for the rapid update, but I had introduced a bug in 0.6.4 that really needed to be fixed. 0.6.5 should fix the problem...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN