Desktop disappears and cant start after XP SP2 update?

scyap

Desktop disappears and cant start after XP SP2 update?

I was using Win XP SP 1 before that, had NO problems

Now just updated to Xp Sp 2 and my computer started up without explorer/desktop

(if u dont know what i mean, go to windows task manager's Processes Tab and terminate "explorer"

so i used Alt+Ctrl+Del and used NewTask and tried to start explorer but nothing happens

help me...... i still can run my application using NewTask, Browse is working too, but i cant get my desktop(explorer) started no matter how i try

it also does not appear in the processes tab , can someone pls help me?

my computer themes are also gone !!!

its NOW using the windows classic/safe mode theme

i used to use cuztomised themes

dont tell me to remove SP2, i want it for many of my important applications to work

Did you simply add SP2 to an existing install? Is this a new slipstreamed install with lots of addons? If It's been slipstreamed always a good idea to test on virtual machine first. If this is slipstreamed did you remove things with NLite or manually?

Joe

The reason your Themes do not work is because you were using a patched uxthem.dll file. In SP2 there is a new uxtheme.dll file that was installed so your custom themes stopped working. :( You will need to get an updated patched uxtheme. as for your desktop not showing up. I have a feeling you had some sort of flaw with explorer allready and you did not know it. And updating to sp2 showed the flaw. You may have had other hacked system files which caused a problem when you updated. :(

It may be a good idea to try to check if their is maybe a program that boots up when your computer boots up that is causing the issue. type msconfig and disable any startup programs then reboot. If you still do not get a desktop... I would recommend you make a backup of your files and reinstall windows xp with a slipstreamed sp2 disk. Because I think then your system is too messed up to attempt repairing (unless you get lucky). It would be beneficial to integrate the RVM UpdatePack as well.

http://ryanvm.net/msfn

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks, i updated my uxtheme and my 3rd party themes are working

sry for the late reply, power supply box blew up

now i can turn on my desktop my going to NewTask>Browse>my computer

and right clicking C:\ and keep selecting Explore MANY times until it poped-up

typing 'explorer' doesnt work

then i also disabled jusched from my startup (java) and sometimes during pc startup, desktop automatically appears !