Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Want To Build My Own Server

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

dannypritchett01

dannypritchett01
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 05-July 05
Hello,

I am wanting to build my own server to host my own three websites which cost me about $100-150 each to run a year plus I want to be able to host websites for the rest of the family along with out own email server, and other features. I want the server to support php, asp, mysql, ftp, smtp mail, and a few other things. I will be building a computer from a 1.8 ghz machine for running the server. I will be using it instead of my own computer. I have read a few things on setting one up, but would a website run fine on a HP Pavilion 513W?

Thanks In Advance
My Personal Built Computer: Apevia X Pleasure Black Clear Sided Case housing a Tyan S2662 Motherboard, Pentium 4 Retail Processor (2.6 GHZ), 1 GB DDR2700 RAM, LG Dual Format & Dual Layer DVD Burner, XFX GeForce FX 5200 256 RAM 8X AGP Video Card, Hard Drives: 3 - 80 GB, 1 - 160 GB, 1 - 320 GB, 2 - 40 GB, 1 - 60 GB, 1 - 2 TB, (2048860 GB Combined Space) Windows XP PRO SP3. Soon upgrading to Windows 7!

(TRIED VISTA & HATE IT, but I LOVE WINDOWS 7)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Chozo4

Chozo4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Joined 31-July 05
You should be more than plenty fine with that computer really. To be honest, you don't even need anything that strong for hosting just a few sites as well as email. I've run a couple sites myself off an older 350mhz PC with very respectable speed and response. What server software are you planning to use?

I would recommend using Abyss WebServer (http://aprelium.com) as it is free, light, fast, and easy to setup while supports PHP and ASP (Natively supports ASP).

As for FTP - you're somewhat on your own there. I've heard of GuildFTP being somewhat decent for general use but haven't given it a whirl as I use SamiFTP for any times I need FTP.

SMTP is a tossup - have not set up or dealt with setting the such up yet.

Edited by Chozo4, 14 November 2007 - 08:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN