ReadyBoost

agoodfella

Is there a maximum amount of memory you can dedicate to ReadyBoost? If so how much?

Or is this a function of how much RAM is installed on my laptop (maximum amount of RAM for my laptop is 4GB)?

Also, the more memory you allocate for ReadyBoost, will the computer use it? In other words, if I've got 1mg vs. 8mg of dedicated memory for ReadyBoost, will the computer actually use most of those amounts -- or is there an optimal amount (ceiling) to dedicate whereby its a waste to allocate any more?? Thanks

No expert here, but I can give the generalities: ReadyBoost uses the storage available on a USB Flash stick like a cache in order to speed HDD I/O. Basically it allocates data the system determines as likely to be accessed, and stores it in Flash memory. So when a program needs said data, it's faster to access than having to go to the Hard Drive. So if you don't have some flash memory installed, it's not enabled.

The rules of thumb I've seen are (1) you want around 2x system memory and (2) once you have more than 2GB of the aforementioned RAM the benefits of ReadyBoost are minimal/nonexistant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

Edited by Scotteq