Win 98se reinstal problems

Evanhoe

I tried every which way (That I know) to reinstall our Win 98se OS without success so far.I had done this previously without too much difficulty,but this time I will need help from someone who can show me how to get past this problem.

Here are some examples of what I tried to do:

1-When I type Format c: / or Format c: in the RUN box,I get the following:

Sorry,I wanted to insert the Screenshot I got here,but looks like things are changed,since I last tried this!! I no longer see the Insert thing anymore! in any case the Screenshot essentially said this:

"Drivec C: is currently in use by another Process"

Aborting Format

I don't know what "Other Process is being used here" as I closed just about everything I know !

2-I can't use the "Win 98 Startup Disk"

3-My CD Drive is not responding,when I insert our "Original Win 98 OS Disk" it eventually opens the "My Computer" Folder !

As usual,I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get to fix this.If more information is needed,pls ask

VAN

You cannot format the drive that windows is currently being run on from within windows.

Windows will lock files to prevent them from being accessed meaning the drive will also be in use. The worst thing one could ever try is to format the C:/ drive with the windows install from inside windows.

What you'll need to do is create a windows boot disk. Done from inside the control panel -> add/remove programs -> startup disk tab. Then boot into MS-dos off that.

Make sure before you exist windows that you have your windows product KEY available. If you don't have it at hand or lost the cd/case with the key, you can get it by:

1) going to start -> run -> regedit

2) navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> software -> microsoft -> windows -> current version and look in the right for "ProductKey" in the right panel.

3) Now boot ontp the startup disk you made earlier

4) Insert your windows98 CD and check to see if drive D: if available.

5) If so, you can either run setup on D:\setup or right now format C: and then run the setup on D:\setup

Edited by Chozo4

I just did a reformat and fresh install....last night! Go to Start > Shut Down and choose Restart in MS DOS Mode.

From the C:\ prompt type, format c:

WARNING! This will erase all data on non removable drive C. Do you wish to continue?

Of course you know what to type after that! Next, use your Windows 98 startup disk to choose option 2 upon startup. Option 2 = Start computer with CD ROM support. Once all the drivers have been loaded, then type X:\setup (X being your CD ROM drive letter). You're on your way to a brand new computer!

*EDIT*

I didn't think I needed to mention this, but make sure you have your Windows 98 CD in the drive before typing X:\setup! And as Chozo4 has mentioned, make sure you have the product key. I'd also add that you should have ALL installation discs for your various programs handy as well as device driver discs/diskettes, and a few hours of free time to reinstall everything, depending on how much you had on your system.

Edited by Daniel-J

Thank you so very much Chozo4 and Daniel-J for your quick replies to my problem.Really appreciated.Tomorrow morning,I will tackle this task again,and let you know how it went.

BTW,Why was I not able to include my Screenshot in my previous Posting?Checked all over,

could not find the right button to do so.Thanks again.

VAN

Personally, I see it best to just move whatever you had on your desktop to a folder like C:\moved and then startup with your windows98 boot disk and type:

attrib -r -s -h C:\windows\*.dat
del C:\windows\*.dat

Then do as you would a reinstall. This way the old registry is not reused and files are overwritten as neccessary ALso your driver files are still available, most of your programs will still not need to be reinstalled as they are still in C:\program files, and you'll be running on a relatively fresh install again without the need for a reformat.

A complete reformat is really too drastic of a measure >.>

Edited by Chozo4

Hi Chozo4,

Thanks for the suggestion.But as I indicated before,I can't ...Start with my Win 98 Boot Disk or anything else for that matter.I know it's Drastic to reinstall,but I'll have peace of mind afterwards.

I have everything backed up on CD's.

Any thoughts about the Screenshot thing? Thanks.

Van

Hi,

I'm back to report on my lack of progress in re-installing our Win 98se OS. (Actually.it's a Disaster!)

As per Chozo4's suggestion "Quote:What you'll need to do is create a windows boot disk. Done from inside the control panel -> add/remove programs -> startup disk tab. Then boot into MS-dos off that."I already had a "Win 98 Start up Disk" that I have used previously with no problem.

Then as per Daniel-J's suggestions,I did the following:

1-Re started in MS Dos mode

2-At C:\ prompt,typed "format C"

3-After this all got done,I got "C:\> where I added A:

4-At A:> I restarted the Puter and tried rebooting from the"Win 98 Start up Disk"

5-Now I get "Invalid System Disk,Replace the Disk and then press any key"6-I do so(Note: there's no disk inserted here !I guess it's referring to the Hard Disk !) and I

keep getting the same error message.

7-I changed the Bios setup "Boot" to "Atapi CD Rom".inserted our Win 98se OS cd" and

keep getting the same "error message as above"

I've tried all kinds of combinations to fix this with no luck.Can anyone help me fix this mess?

Thanks again to you all.

VAN

Hi,

I'm back to report on my lack of progress in re-installing our Win 98se OS. (Actually.it's a Disaster!)

As per Chozo4's suggestion "Quote:What you'll need to do is create a windows boot disk. Done from inside the control panel -> add/remove programs -> startup disk tab. Then boot into MS-dos off that."I already had a "Win 98 Start up Disk" that I have used previously with no problem.

Then as per Daniel-J's suggestions,I did the following:

1-Re started in MS Dos mode

2-At C:\ prompt,typed "format C"

3-After this all got done,I got "C:\> where I added A:

4-At A:> I restarted the Puter and tried rebooting from the"Win 98 Start up Disk"

5-Now I get "Invalid System Disk,Replace the Disk and then press any key"6-I do so(Note: there's no disk inserted here !I guess it's referring to the Hard Disk !) and I

keep getting the same error message.

7-I changed the Bios setup "Boot" to "Atapi CD Rom".inserted our Win 98se OS cd" and

keep getting the same "error message as above"

I've tried all kinds of combinations to fix this with no luck.Can anyone help me fix this mess?

Thanks again to you all.

VAN

You need to format c: /s

To copy system files across and make it bootable

Your bios needs also to have your floppy drive as the first boot option and should boot your win98 start up disk

5-Now I get "Invalid System Disk,Replace the Disk and then press any key"

6-I do so(Note: there's no disk inserted here !I guess it's referring to the Hard Disk !)

Where's that "Win 98 startup Disk" at that point ? In your hand ???

After formating C:, you don't need to restart your computer (It obviousely won't show much).

Just go to the drive containing the Windows 98 installation files, for example D: if the installation CD-Rom is inserted into the D: drive, then type setup.

Then sit down back on your chair, relax and read the Windows98 "new" features. :D

now because you have reformated already, I suggest that you restart your PC with the boot floppy inserted, and do as above (without re-reformating).

Edited by Fredledingue

Thanks Oscardog,

Quote:You need to format c: /s

To copy system files across and make it bootable

Your bios needs also to have your floppy drive as the first boot option and should boot your win98 start up disk

Yes,I did that at first.In Bios "Boot" it showed as "Legacy Floppy" and I tried Booting with the Win 98 start up disk.

I do this again and,I keep getting the same Error Message! Thanks.

Van