• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Evanhoe

Win 98se reinstal problems

62 posts in this topic

@Evanhoe

I really don't get what you are talking about, (v 6.25, 7.12, etc.) :w00t:

Just:

1) Download this file on a machine running Win9x/NT/2K/XP/2003:

http://www.allbootdisks.com/downloads/Disk...No_Ramdrive.exe

2) double click on it, insert a blank formatted floppy and let it create the 98 (DOS 7.1) bootdisk

3) insert the floppy in the unbootable machine and boot from it

4) at the A:\ prompt type FDISK [ENTER]

Follow this guide on how to use FDISK:

http://fdisk.radified.com/

you need to create a Primary Active partition

5) reboot the machine leaving the floppy in

6) at the A:\ prompt type FORMAT C: /s [ENTER]

7) remove the floppy and reboot the machine

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi Fredledingue,

Quote:That's surprising because, normaly, when you boot on the floppy, it should work no matter what's on drives other than A:.

I can see either a hardware defect (floppy drive or memory) or the floppy disk damaged/unreadable.

The Floppy Drive seems ok(as evidenced by reply to Jaclaz above).As far as the Floppy disk damaged/unreadable as you suggest.How else can I check that out?It worked ok a couple of weeks ago! Thanks for your help.

VAN

Remove the floppy drive and test it on another computer. Nothing from what I'v read above proves that the floppy drive is working properly. Maybe it works only unproperly.

More puzzling is that you got the same error message when attempting to boot from the bootable CD-R. Here again it's not a scientific proof that the floppy drive is working, but rather that such type of boot disk (on CD-RW on top of that) is not compatible with your system.

If the floppy drive is not working it will explain many things.

I'v replaced my floppy drive twice already. And one week before I did, it was also still working.

Hardware problem are those we loose the most time on because we thing they are software problems.

HTH

Now,as far as v 7.1 Boot Disk (2.6 mb),it includes 2 versions,that is v 7.1.2 and 7.1.3,each at 1.44 mb. Of course each was too large for a Floppy Disk!

what kind of floppy are we talking about here ???? 1.44 is the size of a floppy.

I inserted a disk in the Floppy Disk Drive of my Win XP puter,and under Format I noticed that,I could create a MS-DOS Startup Disk,so I did one,and rebooted the Win 98 puter with it,and to my surprise, it opened with MS Windows Millennium.and " A:\>"

I didn't know XP makes WinME boot disks. I can't test here as I'm typing on a portable without floppy. Anybody confirm ?

I didn't know XP makes WinME boot disks. I can't test here as I'm typing on a portable without floppy. Anybody confirm ?

Sure it does :), though it is not a "full" floppy.

FYI, some info about it and some other ways to create it/get the files:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16745

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18896

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz,

Geez,I thought I was exposing what I had done quite clearly! I guess I'm going to work harder at it(Smile)

As per your renewed instructions, I have re-downloaded" http://www.allbootdisks.com/downloads/Disks/Windows_98_Boot_Disk_Download49/Windows98_SE_No_Ramdrive.exe

on my Win XP machine (I can't on the Win 98 one),and did as you suggested in 2 to 7.While it was doing it's thing,I noticed it detected" Secondary Slave CD Rom,which is E Drive" Usually it detects The D Drive,which is the Secondary Master CD Rw Drive !!I finally choose "Start Computer with CD Rom support" Later it shows"Success loading Drive D" then I get this"Your CD Rom is Drive E" !

At the "A:\> prompt I type in D:\setup /P i and I get"Bad command or file name" I then restart,and tried with "E:\setup /p i" and got this:"CDR 101 not reading drive E" abort....

BTW: I downloaded and read and re read the following as you asked" Follow this guide on how to use FDISK:

http://www.msfn.org/board/ipb_seo.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffdisk.radified.com%2FI really don't know where to go from here.Can you provide more help with this.Thanks.

VAN

@evanhoe

Don't take this the wrong way, really, but where have you seen in my steps :w00t: :

At the "A:\> prompt I type in D:\setup /P

If you actually do what I listed in steps 3) to 7) you WON'T have anymore a A:\> prompt as in step 7) you REMOVED the floppy (or should have done so) :lol:

Possible explananation of why we seem not to understand each other:

I (and most of the other members that tried to help you) tried to make you install DOS on the hard disk BEFORE running the SETUP on CD.

You are trying to directly run the SETUP from floppy (which should theoretically work, but that it does not because of the following)

Now that you have described your hardware, it is possible that you are NOT succeeding because you have TWO CD-ROM's and it seems like one of the two (the CDRW probably) is not "seen" correctly.

SO, first thing, enter the BIOS of your machine and DISABLE one of the two CD-ROM drives, the CDRW.

Then, please do exactly as in the steps I suggested (forget for the moment about your Win98 CD, the command SETUP, just do that) and report if you can boot from C:\ drive, we were not able to understand if there is an actual problem in FDISKing/FORMATting your hard disk.

If you were not able to understand the usage of FDISK from the linked to site, try following this step by step:

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software...grade/fdisk.htm

and/or this one, containing actual screenshots:

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/fdisk-format.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

it is possible that you are NOT succeeding because you have TWO CD-ROM's and it seems like one of the two (the CDRW probably) is not "seen" correctly.

Or setup.exe is not on the root of D:, but in a "Win98" or "install" directory so you get "Bad command or file name" trying on D and "not ready reading drive E" as there's no media in it.

Or setup.exe is not on the root of D:, but in a "Win98" or "install" directory

setup.exe is in the folder "win98" on the CD. ;)

Good Morning to you Jaclaz,

I will try and follow your instructions to the letter (As I usually try !),and come back with results.

DTW:Regarding your instruction # 7 (in your previous posting) I did that"Remove the Floppy and reboot the machine" and after a couple of minutes I got "C:\>" and because I had no further instructions from you,I typed in codes that I believe worked a few months back !Thanks for all your help and patience.

VAN

Hi again Jaclaz,

Quote:Now that you have described your hardware, it is possible that you are NOT succeeding because you have TWO CD-ROM's and it seems like one of the two (the CDRW probably) is not "seen" correctly.

SO, first thing, enter the BIOS of your machine and DISABLE one of the two CD-ROM drives, the CDRW.

I don't see the CD RW drive at all in the BIOS,so can't Disable!The odd thing though,is that before I attempted to reinstal originally,it was working,but the CD Rom was not at that time.

I downloaded and read your #2 Fdisk (Inc Screenshots) Web site suggestion which is great,but in the end I'm left to decide what to enter at the C:\> prompt !! Where do I go from here? Thanks again.

VAN

You need to get there I think :

A:\> format C:\

Hi Eidenk,

I'm well pass that I'm afraid !I need to know what I'm supposed to type in after I get the following prompt: "C:\>" ? Can you or anyone else help with this?

VAN

Or setup.exe is not on the root of D:, but in a "Win98" or "install" directory

setup.exe is in the folder "win98" on the CD. ;)

Hi Lecco,

Sorry i'm late with my reply.I'm not exactly clear as to what you mean here?If you mean the Win 98se OS disk,then as I said before,I just can't open Setup in my "D" Drive to go from there.Thanks.

VAN

it is possible that you are NOT succeeding because you have TWO CD-ROM's and it seems like one of the two (the CDRW probably) is not "seen" correctly.

Or setup.exe is not on the root of D:, but in a "Win98" or "install" directory so you get "Bad command or file name" trying on D and "not ready reading drive E" as there's no media in it.

Hi Ponch,

Sorry I'm late with my response.If what your saying is a probable cause,fo my problem,can you suggest a fix for this?Thanks.

VAN

HI Fred...

I'm a bit late,but to answer your query,the Floppy Drive works ok,since i'm able to Boot up with the "Win 98_se_no_Ramdrive" bootup disk!

My CD RW and CD Rom drives,that's where it appears to be the problem from what I read here!

Hope we can fix soon.Thanks.

VAN

Boot with the floppy.

Do format c: /s

Do d: (where d is the letter of your CD-ROM drive)

Do cd win98

Do setup

You need to get there I think :

A:\> format C:\

Hi Eidenk,

I'm well pass that I'm afraid !I need to know what I'm supposed to type in after I get the following prompt: "C:\>" ? Can you or anyone else help with this?

VAN

Sorry but as this thread is getting very confused I thought you had not formatted yet.

You want to run setup now, is that correct ?

on my Win XP machine (I can't on the Win 98 one),and did as you suggested in 2 to 7.While it was doing it's thing,I noticed it detected" Secondary Slave CD Rom,which is E Drive" Usually it detects The D Drive,which is the Secondary Master CD Rw Drive !!I finally choose "Start Computer with CD Rom support" Later it shows"Success loading Drive D" then I get this"Your CD Rom is Drive E" !

At the "A:\> prompt I type in D:\setup /P i and I get"Bad command or file name"

That is the bit you missed when so close to the goal, instead of "D:\setup /P i", you need to type "D:\win98\setup /P i"

Quote:That is the bit you missed when so close to the goal, instead of "D:\setup /P i", you need to type "D:\win98\setup /P i"

Hi Ponch,

I rebooted with the "Win 98 Boot up Disk" and at the A:\> prompt,I typed "D:\Win98\setup /P i" as you suggested and I got this error message"CDR101: Not ready reading drive D".

Note:When booting up,and just before the A:\ prompt thing comes along,it reads as follows:

A:\>a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD_Rom

MSDEX Version 2.25

Copyright © Microsoft Corp 1986-1995.All rights reserved

Drive D: =Driver CD_Rom Unit 0

What does that mean?Thanks for all your help,

VAN

Quote:Sorry but as this thread is getting very confused I thought you had not formatted yet.

You want to run setup now, is that correct ?

Hi eidenk,

Yah,right from the start I'm afraid.This is so frustrating,and a waste of everybodies time.Thanks.

VAN

Quote:Boot with the floppy.

Do format c: /s

Do d: (where d is the letter of your CD-ROM drive)

Do cd win98

Do setup

Hi BenoitRen,

Thanks for trying to help.Done all the above before,and as I indicated to Ponch (see error message I get) I can't "Setup".Thanks.

VAN

Sorry if I missed something again but can't you just boot the computer with the setup CD ?

Quote:Sorry if I missed something again but can't you just boot the computer with the setup CD ?

Hi eidenk;

No,I can't,either with my D Drive or the E Drive!See my queries to Ponch and Jaclaz for what's involved here.If you can help,and need more details,pls ask,Thanks.

VAN

Did you disconnect anything in between ? Can you try puting the cd in your other drive and retype "D:\Win98\setup /P i" ?

A:\>a:\mscdex.exe /D:CD_Rom

MSDEX Version 2.25

Copyright © Microsoft Corp 1986-1995.All rights reserved

Drive D: =Driver CD_Rom Unit 0

What does that mean?Thanks for all your help,

This means the boot floppy loads cdrom drivers and one of your drives has received the letter D. You probably have one FAT partition on your HD that's called C:.