Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ daarth:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

Have any idea whats going on in here? I`m quite advanced PC user but have no idea what to do know.

One more thing: Windows 7 installs just fine...

The chances for a real help would increase, if you are able to give us the HardwareIDs of the SATA Controller, where the HDD is connected.

So do the following:

1. Install Windows 7 (if not already done).

2. Open the Device Manager and look into the "IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - into the "Storage Controllers" sections.

3. Do a right click onto the listed Controller(s) > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs"

4. Post the HardwareIDs you found. The only interesting parts are der VendorID (VEN_XXXX) and DeviceID (DEV_XXXX) of the Controller (no Channels).

Regards

Fernando

Fernando:

I had no idea this topic was 5 years old, and I now realize that you are the resident expert on installing Windows XP as a dual boot option on a Windows 7 PC with SATA hard drives.

So far, I have burned about 10 disks generated with the nLite slipstreaming process, none of which has worked. In every case I have received the dreaded BSOD after the XP install has loaded its files.

The slipstreaming process is fairly simple for me, but indentifying and then locating the necessary drivers to integrate is confusing.

My PC is a 1 year old Dell with a Dell Motherboard and an Intel Sandy Bridge chipset - Southbridge H67, and a Western Digital 1 TB SATA Drive. I have tried slipstreaming a number of different Intel inf files, but in every case I have received the BSOD, when using the nLite generated disk. My Windows XP professional disk is a valid disk with SP3.

Even though I have Googled this subject substantially,I am not certain which type of SATA files I need to integrate to make the process work. Are they just inf files, or are other system files required as well?

There are no compatibilty options in my bios.

I would appreciate it very much if you can point me in the direction of the required files based on the above referenced motherboard and chipset.

I would be pleased to provide you with any other info that you find necessary.

Sincerely,

Jack

@ jack804:

Hello Jack,

welcome at MSFN Forum!

My PC is a 1 year old Dell with a Dell Motherboard and an Intel Sandy Bridge chipset - Southbridge H67, and a Western Digital 1 TB SATA Drive. I have tried slipstreaming a number of different Intel inf files, but in every case I have received the BSOD, when using the nLite generated disk.
You should not integrate several different INF files, but just the correct one. If your WD hdd is connected to an Intel SATA port and the related SATA Controller has been set in the BIOS (maybe automaticly) to "AHCI" mode, you should do the following:
  1. Download >this< actual 32bit XP driverpack and unzip it.
  2. Run nLite, don't load any preset of a previous nLite processing and integrate just the content of the unzipped package. The XP Setup will need all INF, SYS CAT and OEM files, which are within that package.
  3. Let nLite create the ISO file and burn it as bootable CD.
  4. When you get the nLite Textmode Popup window, you should highlight just the listed "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" and nothing else.
  5. Boot off the just created XP CD with integrated Intel AHCI driver and install the OS.

If the XP installation with this prepared XP CD should fail, this can be caused by

1. the use of an already processed XP CD as source or
  2. the connection of the hdd to a non-Intel SATA port or
  3. an unusual BIOS setting ("RAID" mode?) regarding the SATA Controller of the related SATA port.

You can prevent the last 2 failure options, if you have already installed any Windows Operating System like Vista or Windows 7. In this case open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - the "Storage Controllers" sections of the Device Manager, look for the exact name of the listed Controller and post it.

Even better: Post the HardwareIDs of the listed Controller (right click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs").

Regards

Fernando

Fernando:

Thank you very much for your quick response to my questions, and even more for the terrific and explicit instructions you provided to me.

I followed your insructions and created a nLite XP install CD which worked on the first try. So, I'm now dual booting Windows 7 and Windows XP.

I suspect that my previous problems were due to integrating too many driver files in the nLite disk, rather than just the correct ones.

I like the MSFN forums very much, and will be sure to come back if I have similar problems.

Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,

Jack

I followed your insructions and created a nLite XP install CD which worked on the first try. So, I'm now dual booting Windows 7 and Windows XP.
It's fine, that you succeeded at least.
I suspect that my previous problems were due to integrating too many driver files in the nLite disk, rather than just the correct ones.
Yes, that has caused your problems.
Thanks again for your help.
You are welcome!

Enjoy your dual boot system!

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fernando:

First let me say-- Thank you so much for your "Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID Drivers Guide and Help for XP (32/64-bit)" :thumbup

My new workstation system:

• Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2
  • Intel i7-3930K
  • ASUS P9X79 WS motherboard
  • 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 RAM
  • Samsung 830 Series 512GB SSD (Drive C:\ for OS and Apps)
  • Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD (Drive D:\ for data)
  • Western Digital Cavair Black 1TB HDD (will be 2 partitions for backing up each SSD)
  • 2x EVGA GTX580 3GB graphics cards (SLI'd)

Following your instructions on page 1, I was finally able to get Windows XP Professional x64 Edition installed on my SSD by slipstreaming your recommended Intel X79 chipset AHCI drivers >64bit Intel RSTe textmode drivers v3.1.0.1068 WHQL for X79< into a Windows XP x64 setup CD (along with my motherboards Marvell AHCI controller drivers)...

I noticed that you have not updated page 1 since June and there has been a more recent release of the Intel RSTe AHCI drivers (Version: 3.2.0.1134, dated 08/24/2012) at Intel's download center:

Intel RSTe AHCI & SCU Software RAID driver for Windows v3.2.0.1134

For Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2, is this latest version recommended to be installed over the v.3.1.0.1068 AHCI driver?

Things seem to be running ok on my new system (besides some bugs in Samsung's SSD Magician Utility), but your assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Archangel35757

Hi Fernando

I just want to say thank you for your time and assistance for helping everyone with their drivers in this forum. I appreciate the assistance you have given me in the past very much. My 32 and 64 bit XP is working like a dream and can install on most popular AHCI controllers.

Kind Regards

Jennifer

@ Archangel35757:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

I noticed that you have not updated page 1 since June and there has been a more recent release of the Intel RSTe AHCI drivers (Version: 3.2.0.1134, dated 08/24/2012) at Intel's download center:

For Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2, is this latest version recommended to be installed over the v.3.1.0.1068 AHCI driver?

You can do that without risking any trouble.

By the way: I expect, that Intel will release very soon brandnew Intel RST drivers v11.6.x.xxxx, which are usable for XP x64 users with an X79 chipset AHCI system. So it may be a good idea to wait some days with the driver update.

Regards

Fernando

…By the way: I expect, that Intel will release very soon brandnew Intel RST drivers v11.6.x.xxxx, which are usable for XP x64 users with an X79 chipset AHCI system. So it may be a good idea to wait some days with the driver update.

Regards

Fernando

Ah, OK... I was going to try the Intel RST Driver v.11.2.0.1006 but I guess it's not for the Intel X79 Chipset or is still broken for X79? Any idea when this Intel X79 v.11.6.x AHCI driver will be available for XP64? Any news link to subscribe to?

I've followed this problem discussion and your research of the problem on a few forums. I'm in the same boat as the other X79 owners-- waiting for an Intel AHCI driver update. The Samsung SSD Magician software is failing to work properly (TRIM, etc.) with my 830 Series SSD because it's identified as a SCSI drive! Even the Marvell controller shows up as SCSI, IIRC-- which I don't understand. I keep reading about a generic Microsoft AHCI driver... but I can't find one for XP64.

I was going to try the Intel RST Driver v.11.2.0.1006 but I guess it's not for the Intel X79 Chipset or is still broken for X79?
You cannot use the original driver, because the X79 HardwareIDs are missing within the INF file, but you may try the Intel RST driver v11.2.01006, which I have modified to make it compatible with X79 chipsets. You can get it from >here<.
Any idea when this Intel X79 v.11.6.x AHCI driver will be available for XP64?
I am not sure, that Intel will release any new RST/RST(e) drivers, which will be officially designed for being used with Windows XP (32/64bit).
The Samsung SSD Magician software is failing to work properly (TRIM, etc.) with my 830 Series SSD because it's identified as a SCSI drive! Even the Marvell controller shows up as SCSI, IIRC-- which I don't understand.
As long as you will use any of Intel's RSTe drivers, you will see your drives as SCSI disks. That is a feature (to get the TRIM command into a RAID array) and not an issue.
I keep reading about a generic Microsoft AHCI driver... but I can't find one for XP64.
There is no and there will never be any generic MS AHCI driver for Windows XP (32/64bit).

I was going to try the Intel RST Driver v.11.2.0.1006 but I guess it's not for the Intel X79 Chipset or is still broken for X79?
You cannot use the original driver, because the X79 HardwareIDs are missing within the INF file, but you may try the Intel RST driver v11.2.01006, which I have modified to make it compatible with X79 chipsets. You can get it from >here<.
Any idea when this Intel X79 v.11.6.x AHCI driver will be available for XP64?
I am not sure, that Intel will release any new RST/RST(e) drivers, which will be officially designed for being used with Windows XP (32/64bit).
The Samsung SSD Magician software is failing to work properly (TRIM, etc.) with my 830 Series SSD because it's identified as a SCSI drive! Even the Marvell controller shows up as SCSI, IIRC-- which I don't understand.
As long as you will use any of Intel's RSTe drivers, you will see your drives as SCSI disks. That is a feature (to get the TRIM command into a RAID array) and not an issue.
I keep reading about a generic Microsoft AHCI driver... but I can't find one for XP64.
There is no and there will never be any generic MS AHCI driver for Windows XP (32/64bit).

Thanks Fernando for clearing up some of my confusion... I'll try out your modified_v.11.2.0.1006 RST Driver tonight and let you know how it goes. I do hope Intel will release an 11.6.x RST driver that works for XP64-- do you know who I can bribe/pay to make sure they cover XP64? ;) The main reason I installed this older OS is because it supports 3D hardware acceleration for 32-bit apps... whereas the Win7 64-bit "XP Mode" does not-- only software rendering via the CPU.

Thanks for making the modified driver... just PM me where you'd like me to send you a case of your favorite beverage :)

Edited by Archangel35757

To be clear, for XP64 which modified v11.2.0.1006 Intel RST AHCI driver am I suppose to use for the Intel X79 Chipset & i7-3930K processor? The 7-series or C600 series?
The X79 chipset belongs to the C600 series.

To be clear, for XP64 which modified v11.2.0.1006 Intel RST AHCI driver am I suppose to use for the Intel X79 Chipset & i7-3930K processor? The 7-series or C600 series?
The X79 chipset belongs to the C600 series.

Your modified C600 AHCI driver worked :D. It only required me to reactivate my XP64 license. YAHOO!!! You are a godsend-- thank you so much! Now I just need to unplug my HDD from the Marvell controller & remove/reinstall it so it shows up in SATA section of device manager instead of SCSI. :)

Your modified C600 AHCI driver worked :D. It only required me to reactivate my XP64 license. YAHOO!!! You are a godsend-- thank you so much!
You are welcome! It is fine, that you succeeded with the installation of the "modded" Intel RST driver.
Now I just need to unplug my HDD from the Marvell controller & remove/reinstall it so it shows up in SATA section of device manager instead of SCSI. :)

Please look into the Device Manager and check, if you really got rid of the Intel SCSI Filter named iaStorF.sys:

Open the section "Drives" > right click onto any of the listed Drives > "Property" > "Driver" > "Driver Details".

If the driver named iaStorF.sys should still be listed, you should enter the registry, join the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete the entry "iaStorF". If you should find another similar entry within the "Class" folder, delete it too.

After the next reboot you should not find the iaStorF.sys within the Device Manager anymore and all "SCSI Disk" entries should be gone.

Just to clarify: The possible wrong "iaStorF" entry within the registry is not an issue of the RST driver v11.2.0.1006, which had been modified by me, but a.general issue while switching from Intel's RSTe drivers (using iaStorA.sys and iaStorF.sys) to the "normal" RST driver iaStor.sys. For more details you may look >here< (in German language).

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1